What's Going On With Your Weather?

Disgusted Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

1 Like

Yah, the dew point is typically about the limit you can expect for a low temp. Water going from a liquid to a gas takes away heat, but going the other way, going from gas to liquid, gives up heat.

All day yesterday, dew points were 75 - 77, our low last night was 77 (well, technically this morning, at around 0500 - 0600).

1 Like

I’d like to take a moment to praise Cornell alum Willis Haviland Carrier for being awesome.

ETA 91 F gross. Tornado & flood watches just went up. Stowed the patio umbrella. Moved Betty and the cherry tomato plants to safety. Just saw a bald eagle surfing the updrafts get chased off by a determined pair of grackles.

5 Likes

WooHoo! I have a Severe Thunderstorm Watch!!!11!

Maybe we’ll get a bit of rain. June and July have been very dry.

And 5 hours later, we have a Warning! I hear a little thunder! Woohoo!

3 Likes

Pop-up boomer just blew through, the gullies have been washed. The south wind blowing in ahead of the low is disgusto. I live up here for reasons that do not include this.

not safe for work GIF

2 Likes

Not my weather, but -

https://www.axios.com/local/phoenix/2024/07/10/heat-sidewalks-roads-burns-nasa

NASA captures 160-degree roads and sidewalks across Phoenix

2 Likes

One of the things I hate about California weather – which mind you is VERY NICE weather most of the time, I’m just a delicate wilting flower – is the constant, unrelenting, searing, hellish, direct sun.

See how it says “partly cloudy” on most of these days? What they mean is there will be 30% cloud cover from 4-6 am and then after that wall to wall sunshine YOU CANNOT ESCAPE IT

3 Likes

Make that No showers and No storms anywhere!
But we did reach 96F :weary:

Well that was exciting.

^rotation circled. Missed me, neener.

3 Likes

We finally had a line of thunderstorms move thru. Temp dropped 15 degrees, heat index fell 20. My local weather observation post must have a broken rain gauge, because no reported rain. Dulles, home of the Weather Service Forecast Office reported .38 - that feels about right.

We got some rain, a little thunder and lightning, but nothing dramatic

3 Likes

Now that we have had the remnants of the hurricane move out of the country the Midwest is seeing a big null zone. High brining some cooler air from the north. Low still pumping some warm moist air from the gulf. The battle lines have been drawn. Will the rain be north or south of Chicago? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes

3 Likes

FWIW, just to follow up on the Beryl thing: We got maybe a “normal”(?) amount of rain and wind for a weaker “Cat. 1” some 50+ miles from the coast. It seems we might have caught some of the eye, because of very strong winds, then calm, then somewhat less strong from a different direction for less time. (Beryl was downgraded to “tropical storm” 2-3 hours after that.)

A lot of the area lost not only power as the storm approached but also cell phone data (we expected to track the storm on weather apps), and even cell service (“SOS” instead of bars). Nearby area’s power (and cell service) was restored around 36 hours later, which is quite quick under the circumstances. Many other areas (see Houston area map here) are still without power. And temperatures have quickly returned to heat advisory levels (“feels like 100+”).

3 Likes

Hopefully this is the hot streak for this summer. (the weather guy making the graphic is running out of adjectives) July is our hottest month, so not entirely a faint hope.

2 Likes

That little disturbance off the Carolina coast looks like it will be sling some showers inland toward the Charlotte area tomorrow. Nothing severe, just some off and on showers, cool north-easterly winds, with highs only in the mid-80s.
A break from these oppressive 90s lately?? We’ll take it :+1:

1 Like

Here in northern Virginia, we might get a bit more than that.

Edit to add - I hope we get more rain. Starting at about 1 June, the taps turned off.

1 Like

I know this isn’t a patch on the weather half of y’all have to deal with, but this is too freakin’ hot for northern california

No sir, I don’t like it!

3 Likes

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

3 Likes

Finally cool enough to drink a gin and tonic on the back porch

Edit to add - I’ve sat here for 2, actually, first time in a long while. Long enough for the fireflies to come out.

I dunno if it’s the drought, or the heat, or the time of year and I’ve not been out here to see, but the crop seems much reduced.

Edit to correct a stupid spelling mistake

4 Likes

I saw a weather map the other day where it was eleventy hundred degrees all across California… and 66 in San Francisco. Now I know why the housing is so expensive there.

2 Likes