What's the story of when you realized you love cheesy movies?

I grew up primarily in the '80s and early '90s in Southern California. I wasn’t in L.A., but we got the L.A. stations, so we had a bunch on both VHF and UHF, and most of them were independent. In other words, there was a lot of time to fill, and most of that was movies—something I think most folks of that era experienced. We sporadically had cable, but most of my watching was by antenna.

So I watched a LOT of movies, cheesy and not, growing up. I developed an affinity for older films; especially anything adventurous, spooky, or funny. But I didn’t really get absolutely hooked on the “cheesy” stuff until the summer of '89.

The preceding year had been a rough one, so I needed escape, and my dad had bought me a little portable black & white TV/radio combo that I took everywhere I was allowed to.

That summer, the indie stations didn’t let me down. For example:

• one station played all of the Frankie and Annette Beach Party movies;
  • another went through all of the old original Tarzan movies;
  • a new favorites show was Godzilla Theater, where they started with the first and each day ran through them all in chronological order including soooo many weird movies from the '60s
  • and because this was the Summer of Batman, the old Adam West series was in heavy rotation.

That’s not all I watched, but after that summer if someone told me a show or movie was weird, odd, dumb, or just plain bad, I found myself drawn to it. I miss those days of perusing the video stores and renting movies specifically because they looked sooooo cheesy.

8 Likes

Hello from halftime!

I got into MST3K a couple years before I met my now-spouse but I think it was him that got me into what I consider cheesy movies – kung fu movies of all kinds, and Godzilla specifically. Though I have always had a soft spot for cheesy/corny/stupid comedies (think Return of the Killer Tomatoes)

5 Likes

That’s dedication! My wife isn’t so much into my cheesy movies, but surprises herself regularly with how much trivia she knows about them :rofl: (still proud!)

2 Likes

I have to credit MST3K for it. Growing up in the 80s, I was drawn to movies that I would later discover were cheesy, but at the time they seemed mainstream – Strange Brew, Space Hunter, Ice Pirates, etc.

Around 1992, MST opened my eyes to a whole world of cheesy movies that I otherwise would probably have never found, and now I crave them and can’t imagine life without them. Badly dubbed Italian sci-fi? Forgotten low-budget gems? Wharwilfs and leech women? More please!

5 Likes

I watched whatever was on TV in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Somehow I ended up with VHS tapes of One Crazy Summer, Police Academy 4, and Top Gun 33 1/3. I knew deep down that these were a far cry from good movies, but I didn’t care and watched them repeatedly. They set me up to be a natural MST3K fan when I was introduced to it in the late 90’s. Goofy and/or cheesy films are still my go-to.

4 Likes

SoCal Expat, chiming in.
FWIW, grew up in the 60s & 70s, when cheesy movies were non-stop viewing.
OMG, I miss KTLA, KHJ, KTTV, KHTV, KCET, and KOCE.
Moved from O.C. in 2004, to Central California, and it is a wasteland for local television.
Even the network stations show infomercials during the day.
I weep for humanity.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure I always loved cheesy movies. When I was growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, if a movie on TV had a stop motion dinosaur or a cardboard spaceship with sparklers for propulsion, I would drop everything and watch it. It really did not become apparent until the 80’s and VHS tapes came around. Now I could tape those movies, and then make my friends watch them later. That’s when I found out that my taste for cheesy movies was atypical. It is also when I found out who my real friends were :slight_smile:

4 Likes