What's the worst TV reboot you've ever seen?

Hollywood is so out of ideas, that sometimes they try to reboot classic tv shows to fit modern audiences. What are some examples you can name?

One example I can name is, “The Prisoner” (2009). The original series was a cerebral classic, except for the finale that was just plain bonkers, but the American, modern reboot just sucked all over!

5 Likes

That was a locked memory that I tried to suppress Ugh!

I’ll put down both remakes of The Munsters

4 Likes

I hated “The Munsters Today”, but I kind of liked “Mockingbird Lane”. I’m very hesitant about the Rob Zombie movie.

4 Likes

There was the completely unmemorable remake of The Fugitive around 2000 with Tim Daly.

3 Likes

The well-intentioned, but utterly disastrous remake of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Plenty of talent involved in the revival, but it died like a louse in a Cossack’s beard, and thoroughly deserved to.

8 Likes

“died like a louse in a Cossack’s beard”

I love that description!

2 Likes

Somebody did a remake of that? Why on earth?

2 Likes

I love Joel McHale. I love Richard Ayoade. But that American version of The IT Crowd should never have been a thing.

And don’t get me started on the new version of The Odd Couple. What a tragic waste of Thomas Lennon.

11 Likes

They’re supposed to be remaking Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and I can’t see how it’ll have any of the same feeling as the old show. Part of the charm of that show was the way they imitated the glacial pace of daytime soap operas and used that to lead to shockingly hilarious big moments. There’s no way they’ll be allowed to match the pace of soap operas in a modern version.

6 Likes

How the hell could they possibly remake Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, it was a product of its time!

5 Likes

I wish I knew. Martin Clunes played Reggie, and did his level best. But the original show just sat there like the elephant in the room and it seemed to weigh upon all involved in the act of necromancy.

5 Likes

Mathew Perry just played the same character he always plays in that, but Thomas Lennon seemed to be trying to imitate Tony Randall and did a terrible job at it.

3 Likes

The Odd Couple was very disappointing, though I thought Lennon was the best part of it. It seemed toward the end like it was developing into its own show that might not have been too bad if it wasn’t supposed to be The Odd Couple.

3 Likes

EXACTLY

And Thomas Lennon is so much better than what he was doing there. He was in The State and Viva Variety, for God’s sake!

3 Likes

Perhaps, yeah. But when that banner of quality was set in continuing that property, that banner was set way too high.

Bless Lennon for trying, but… yeesh.

3 Likes

I don’t think I even made it through one episode of the remake. Just…no.

Whenever I recommend The IT Crowd to someone, I make sure to clarify “the British version, not the atrocity that was the US remake”

5 Likes

Yeah, that needs the mother of all disclaimers and asterisks.

“YOU CAN’T WATCH THE AMERICAN VERSION, I’m serious! Don’t you do it!”

4 Likes

Luckily they never made it to TV but have you ever seen either pilot for the American Red Dwarf?

3 Likes

The Ren & Stimpy 00’s reboot on Spike TV. That was just… Blargh.

And, I’m not sure if this counts, but the WWE version of ECW.

3 Likes

I have not, but that they tried an American version of Red Dwarf hurts my soul real bad.

Red Dwarf is wonderful as is (some of those dodgy latter parts of the series notwithstanding). Even without movie riffing or anything like that, I always like to hold the show up as a weird kinda spiritual cousin of MST3K’s.

4 Likes