What's up with the green-ish jumpsuit?

Watching mst3k on their twitch channel and in some of the episodes Joel is wearing a green blue jumpsuit. He is also sporting a goatee, and I was wondering if this was some sort of parallel universe and I just haven’t seen the episode where they set it up. :thinking::joy:

Does anyone have any insight into this uniform?
Cheers. :v::heart::pray:

5 Likes
it looks nice
2 Likes

The red jumpsuit was at the cleaners.

8 Likes

All it means is you’re watching season 2.

9 Likes

Joel wore that jumpsuit, as well as a more green one often during season 2. He also wore a light brown jumpsuit during the KTMA season.

8 Likes

Joel with a beard is evil Joel. Much like…

And, of course…

7 Likes

He changed his look a few times as the show progressed.

4 Likes

There is a jumpsuit as well that had a lot of patches. Probably was told needed more bling.:grin:

10 Likes

The shade of his red jumpsuit also got darker in later seasons.

Either that or I just bought progressively darker hued tv sets.

5 Likes

It was the 90s. We all had goatees.

9 Likes

I think it’s interesting looking back at the different sartorial choices our hosts have made over the years.

User Bart Fargo over on the forrestcrow boards made this amazing chart of all the jumpsuit colors from KTMA through series 10. What it shows is that first and second season Joel mixed things up more than people would think before they settle on the classic maroon in 212 which he wore through the rest of his run in the show.

Mike, on the other hand, had more lewks in his normal rotation. The color we most associate with him is the classic blue, but he wore green almost as often. And he had two different blue shades, meaning that the green jumpsuit is the single jumpsuit he wore the most.

Yes, it’s nerdy, but it’s fun!

19 Likes

This just makes me wonder 1)if Mirror Joel had a fuller beard most times, save for experiments where his counterpart had the goatee and 2)How did Mirror Mike kill Mirror Joel to get command of Mirror Deep 13?

4 Likes

Joel tried cyan in a couple episodes in Season 2 as well. Quite a sight.

4 Likes

“Flair.” It’s called flair.

13 Likes

Yesssss! Could not think of the right word. I’ll leave it and take the abuse :joy:

14 Likes

And the Green jumpsuit had the patches we associate with Mike too. I guess Alternaversal chose Royal Blue to be the quintessentially Mike color to fit their schema of Primary Colored hosts (although Emily’s Lavender brings that to an end).

3 Likes

We did, didn’t we. :v::heart::pray:

4 Likes

I’d chalk it up to just a bit of “figuring things out weirdness”; after all, if it was going to stick, they would have done something about the theme song. (Which incidentally may be why it got changed to maroon.)

It’s comparable to how the buttons on the bridge were missing in the earliest episodes and got added in later.

2 Likes

oh yeah, Trace hadn’t finished building the blinking light air freshener yet, but Joel slaps the desk just the same as though it’ll appear in post…

2 Likes

They were there. Just really tiny. Probably you need a bigger TV.

But for real, way back in the day there was a food pellet he’d chuck in his gob on the way to the theater, right after he pushed the button.

3 Likes