What's your favorite Kickstarter Project you have backed?

What made it your favorite?
What’s the best reward you got?

What’s a Kickstarter you regret backing? Why?
What’s one you wished you backed but didn’t?

4 Likes

Two of my favorites involve two RPG settings that originally came out at the same time and had a multi-genre premise, though realized in very different fashions. The first was a Savage Worlds adaptation of Rifts. Besides being made compatible with my preferred RPG system, it also makes it so that going without armor is merely a bad idea rather than suicidal. The other is an updated version of Torg called Torg: Eternity. This Kickstarter was made interesting by how there was a Twitter account where the opening month of the invasion of Core Earth gets recounted through tweets during the campaign. Just about everything from the original game was an improvement, from mechanics to setting details. In particular, the Delphi Council went from bumbling side villains (imagine if the members of Team Rocket from Pokemon were all cast from the same template as Frank Burns of MASH) to being the Good Guy Mission Control.

2 Likes

This one’s been awhile, but I backed TakeBackHalloween.com in 2013 (how time does fly, whether you’re having fun or not)

The site gives feminine costume ideas based on historical figures and myths and legends, with guides on how to put it all together. As well as informative write up for each character. I have learned SO MUCH from browsing the site (and used their ideas to dress as Hypatia and Mae West for a con)

3 Likes

My favorite is Season 11 of MST3K. Lots of cool rewards and I helped revive my favorite show. More episodes was the best reward.

I’ve been fortunate that the only Kickstarter I was outright stiffed on (John K’s Cans Without Labels) I was only out $1. So out of almost 100 projects backed, I don’t really regret any.

I wish I had backed the Atomic Brain restoration, because then I could have gotten another MST3K-related pin.

2 Likes

Oh the pin for that isn’t remarkable. It’s a little tiny cat and you have to squint to recognize it. Lemme see if I can find mine…

That’s it pictured next to a completely ordinary ungimmicked United States dime for scale.

If you’re still hurtin’ over not having it, private message me your address and I’ll mail it to you. No guarantee that it won’t fall into a hairline crack in a sidewalk while in transit and be lost forever, though.

2 Likes

I’m still bummed that RenFest didn’t happen.

4 Likes

Definitely Wasteland 2. I was obsessed with the original game on my Apple ][. Wasteland 3 was a bit disappointing.

1 Like

Other than the obvious… Of the ones that have finished, probably Make Leisure Suit Larry come again! aka Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded. It certainly fared a lot better than the Two Guys from Andromeda SpaceVenture, which only finally shipped last fall after more than 10 years from pledge date. (And what they shipped was buggy and frustrating; to be fair, there has been a patch, but I haven’t downloaded it yet.)

1 Like

[stares at the sticker on their profile] There’s an obvious answer here.

2 Likes

The MST3K KS’s are my favorites that have been fulfilled so far.

Other favorites are the Veronica Mars movie, a graphic novel called Fangirls, the GURPS Girl Genius expansion, and Paul Dini’s Boo & Hiss graphic novel.

My favorite reward (aside from the completed projects themselves) was a personal performance video of a song I picked by a band whose album I backed.

3 Likes

I also played the original Wasteland though I think on a PC? I can’t remember if I still used the Apple back then.

I backed Wasteland 2 and…never played it, so no disappointment there.

I have loved almost all my crowdfunded stuff. The weak spot, in my experience, is gizmos. I don’t back a lot of gizmos any more because I don’t think they’ll come, or when they do come, I don’t think they’ll do anything.

This one’s kind of fun:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odd-pieces/mystery-puzzles-by-odd-pieces-series-2

It’s a 1,000 piece puzzle where they give you a picture of the “before” and your job is to assemble the after. Fiendishly difficult, we break 'em out on holidays and get obsessed over putting them together.

3 Likes

oh what a cool idea!

2 Likes

Besides all the new MST3K seasons I’m particularly happy with the Return to Dark Tower game. The electronic tower is really cool and the game itself is a lot of fun. And it can even be played solo for sad people like me that don’t have many friends or family that live close anymore.

2 Likes

H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival is always a good Kickstarter. Both in person and streaming options, and lots of nifty merch like T-shirts, badges, a board game, and even a nasty looking monster specimen in a jar. :octopus:

2 Likes

My favorite Kickstarter actually isn’t the Gizmoplex. It’s been fantastic, but not my favorite. I backed a book series called the Wingfeather Saga and got to go to the publishing house (that happened to be the authors house in Nashville) and his family (kids and wife) filled the Kickstarter physical awards in person and it was awesome.

2 Likes

That does sound like fun!

3 Likes
  1. MST
  2. Demon Squad 2
  3. RiffTrax
3 Likes

Well, other than MST3K, I did back a short film called “Hashtag”, starring Gigi Edgley (Chiana from Farscape). It did complete and ended up being a rather nifty scifi short on youtube. That lead to an even better backing of Gigi Edgley’s music video, “Dragon In My Soul” which she had on Indiegogo. That one lead to me being on a panel with other producers at DragonCon. Very cool.

3 Likes

I’ve only donated to five Kickstarter pages; out of those five, three were related to MST3K or Rifftrax.

Probably the only Kickstarter page I regret donating to was a book of unpublished material by Douglas Adams (the creator of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy). I regret it because the page was funded in April 2021, and more than two years later, I still don’t have the book. I get that the pandemic slowed everything down, and I occasionally get emails from them saying “we are working on it”, but I don’t think it’s ever going to happen.

In terms of Kickstarter pages I wish I had donated to, of course the real answer is the first MST3K Kickstarter in 2015 - indeed, of my list of Kickstarter pages I wish I had donated to, that’s one of the few where not only was the page funded, the project actually happened and was really good (well, IMO).

Moving away from MST3K or Rifftrax, as I’ve said on this forum before, my primary obsession is game shows (MST3K is a secondary one), so…I have a fairly long list of game show-related Kickstarter pages I now wish I had donated to. Several weren’t funded, at least one was funded but ended up being pretty bad and short-lived, and still others were UK-based, so I (an American) would probably never get to see them anyway.

I could give specifics if you want, but I honestly get the feeling I’ve talked long enough already.

3 Likes

Of stuff that got officially funded? Outside of MST3K?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mhhorrordoc/mental-health-and-horror-a-documentary

The Mental Health and Horror: A Documentary Kickstarter campaign.

3 Likes