What's Your Favorite MST3K Related Memory?

I lost my virginity during Turkey Day '93. Does that count?

10 Likes

Dang straight it does!

7 Likes

Bringing my Dad and sister to watch the show on my VHS tapes during Canadian Thanksgiving during a break time.

4 Likes

I lost my virginity during Turkey Day '93.

I will not go into details.

3 Likes

My first day at Walt Disney World, I was given a quick tour of Hollywood Studios by my coworker. As we went past Sci-Fi Drive-In, I mentioned that I enjoyed old movies and she snuck us in to see the layout of the place. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die was playing on the screen and my mind went a little BOOM, as it was one of the only episodes of MST3K I had seen, at that point.

So that’s always the first thing I think of, when I think of MST3K… (and, one of these days, I’ll actually get a chance to eat at Sci-Fi Drive-In)

6 Likes

Probably a tie between wartching my first ep, meeting Joel, first live show, and a current project.

2 Likes

Seeing The Movie in a theater when it came out. The experience of seeing MST3K with a large group for the first time (for me) was tremendous.

3 Likes

Getting to see MST3K Live and meeting Joel (! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !) would rank up high on the list.

Discovering my first episode would count, too, because my only exposure to the show (outside of some ads for a Comedy Central channel that we didn’t get and wouldn’t get until well after the show ended its run there) was a video game magazine write-up. I came in after a long day of sledding and found the show by accident on MTV while channel surfing. They were doing some kind of Comedy Weekend promotion or something, and I was FREAKING OUT that that show with the shadows and the bad movies was on! Watching Alien from L.A., I never laughed so hard.

And then, especially, there was watching episodes with a really good friend.

3 Likes

It’s SO hard to pick a favorite, so I’ll pick two.

First, seeing Joel et al promoting Cinematic Titanic way back in the day at Dragon Con. The first night, they screened Wasp Woman (and just as the lights came down, Frank slayed us with “And remember! No talking during the film!”). Later Bill and Trace held a panel called “Crow vs Crow” where they compared experiences. Absolutely delightful.

Second, they read my Turkey Day memory on the air last year, and let me tell you I CRIED when Crow said it was beautiful.

2 Likes

Getting the chance to meet the Sci-Fi era cast at a convention outside of St. Louis back in 2000! They were all so friendly and kind to a very nervous, star-struck me and were all happy to sign my ACEG! :smiley:

Going to the Time Bubble Tour was another great memory!

2 Likes

Can I also just add, I remain inordinately proud of a riff so awful I got hissed by a roomful of fellow MSTies at the ConventioCon, while watching SciFi waiting for our turns in the autograph room? :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m dying to know what it was!

1 Like

I went on a tour of the Best Brains studio before the Sci-Fi era ended. I only regret I did not stow away to inspect everything at my leisure.

3 Likes

They were showing Kolchak: the Night Stalker (a favorite of mine since it first ran, and only goes to show that almost anything is riffable in the right frame of mind), and he’s rummaging around a drainage system looking for that episode’s monster… and I piped up with “If he dies down there, will they rule it a sewer-cide?”

I love a good pun… and I love a bad one even more. :smiley:

5 Likes

You piped up with a drainage system joke?

4 Likes

Ba-dum-*tss*!

3 Likes

slow clap

1 Like

So far, I have a few.

I made my first MST3K fanart with (almost) everyone in it, and got a positive reception, both here and on Instagram. Then I went to see the Time Bubble Tour, and of course loved it, and I did Cameo calls with Toiley T. Paper, performed by M. Waverly himself: Grant Baciocco (@themwaverly ) !!! So I guess the last one counts, right?

2 Likes

I’ll mention three though only two are specific.
Most recent: during the “Watch Out For Snakes” Tour the closest to my living area was up in Columbus, OH. And 2 days later The Mads were also doing a show, so I took a nice little vacation stay up there, met nearly all the Best Brains possible, and also had a lovely time in the art museum and one meal was in a fantastic diner.
Less recent: Decided to go, with a bunch of friends, down to Tennessee for the Rifftrax Live showing of Manos, and while standing in line for tickets, randomly struck up a conversation with two women behind us. Now, we all, every other week or so, Zoom and watch Rifftrax-related stuff. (This is where I got to quasi meet the my first set of Brains) .

My last favorite memory is of my Grandma, who is the one who had Comedy Central on her satellite package, and would make tapes of the episodes so I could watch the show.

4 Likes

The first live show I ever went too. Everything about the trip downtown, to the show losing power, to waiting for the train in the middle of a sudden snow storm. We got stuck on a hill driving home from the train station. Once we got home though we made hot chocolate and watched the snow fall while watching funny videos on the tv. I didn’t work the next day so there was no rush to be anywhere. All in all it was a very pleasant experience. I hope the next live tour is just as pleasant and warm as this one was.

1 Like