What's your favorite Sci-Fi tv series?

I loved The Lost Room. I don’t know if that story alone would carry a whole series, but the basic concept definitely would.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the concept was what I was thinking of. I suppose Warehouse 13 sort of went with the same concept.

1 Like

There is a kid on YouTube called “Kane Pixels” who is gradually creating a sci-fi series, a few minutes at a time, that is legit one of the most brilliant, creepy, disturbing things I’ve ever seen. It takes off on a creepy meme somebody posted about “The Backrooms”… a seemingly endless series of mostly empty, fluorescent-lit office rooms and corridors with a uniform horrible yellow wallpaper. The story is mostly found footage, presented without comment a few minutes at a time, and it’s up to you to figure out what’s going on.

Did I mention that “Kane Pixels” is 16 years old and does all this with homemade CGI and, apparently, some of his friends?

I have watched the videos in the order posted, but the playlist below is more or less in chronological order and apprently his preferred order so far:

2 Likes

I had multiple episodes of the original Outer Limits on VHS. The one that is most memorable to me is Demon With a Glass Hand, which was written by Harlan Ellison and starred Robert Culp.

1 Like

Good, more for me!

2 Likes

More like Horror than Science Fiction

2 Likes

For me, MST3K is the end-all be-all, the one and only.

After that? In no particular order, the first two Star Trek series (I really need to get crackin’ on DS9 and Voyager), Red Dwarf, Quantum Leap, the OG Twilight Zone.

There’s also this really nice one that’s off the beaten path, Goodnight Sweetheart, which is about a man in 1990s London who leads a double life after accidentally discovering a time travel portal that allows him to transport back and forth from the London of the 40s during World War II.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed a lot of scifi over the years, some excellent, but I’m still gonna have to with Star Trek, the original.

Even though it’s dated, the effects aren’t (and never were) anything to write home about and the acting not the best - it was groundbreaking in so many ways and a ray of hope in a world that’s dark.

1 Like

I liked Eureka, which I haven’t seen anyone mention.

Does Upload count as sci-fi? I liked the concept of the first season, but haven’t watched the second one yet.

2 Likes

In no particular order
Star Trek: TOS
Star Trek: Next Generation
Space Above and Beyond
Babylon 5
Firefly
Fringe
X-Files

2 Likes

EUREKA! Oh, wow, that slipped my mind!

Same goes for Alphas. Ended way too soon for my liking.

2 Likes

What flavor of Sci-Fi?

• Space: The Expanse. Babylon 5.
  • Time travel: Steins;Gate. 12 Monkeys.
  • Post-apoc: The 100. 3%.
  • Misc: Orphan Black. Real Humans.

That’s eight already, and I left out some amazing classics and gems. Aargh!

1 Like

I only caught Season 1 and a tiny chunk of Season 2 before Peacock put up a paywall, but I like what Resident Alien has been throwing at us.

Alan Tudyk, y’all.

1 Like

Are we seriously 30+ posts into this thread and no one has mentioned Stargate? Maan I need to watch that movie again

I prefer Stargate Atlantis myself.

Along with many others already mentioned, I’ll toss in
Briscoe County Jr (there was some sci-fi in there)
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Star Trek: Lower Decks
Strange New Worlds is also quickly climbing my list of favorites

2 Likes

Yall are giving me a few new things to watch and just making my mental list of favorite sci fi longer here. BIG BIG second on Eureka and Stargate and Firefly. TNG/DS9/Voyager are my comfort shows, and I’ve watched Futurama so so so many times that I can pretty well tell you what episode any line is from.

Oh, and I had to look it up to get the name, but if you want to watch a high budget but awful, plot-hole filled sci-fi, check out Wayward Pines. Terrible in regard to making logical sense or any kind of conceivable continuity, but sooooper shiny.

ETA: OH! Also Final Space - excellent, so of course canceled on a end-of-season cliffhanger. T_T

2 Likes

I like pretty much all Star Trek except for Lower Decks and Prodigy. I love Doctor Who and enjoyed Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures; I haven’t seen all of K9 and none of Class, but I thought K9 was just, ok…

Never cared for Stargate myself but I kind of liked the original movie. Firefly was good too, though I hate the fact the series ended so open ended and the movie killed off some of the main characters. Disney is flip flopping on either doing a revival or a reboot, and I think maybe they should just leave it alone.

Power Rangers is another franchise I could list, since it dealt with aliens and time-travel.

Twin Peaks has been listed here but it was more supernatural horror than sci-fi, which Stranger Things and Twilight Zone had shades of too, but delt more with semi-realistic science fiction than inhuman horror.

Warehouse 13 was good in the first two seasons but then fell to series decay. Never cared for Alphas or Eureka myself.

1 Like

The Original Twilight Zone is amazing

1 Like

I have no clue how I left Doctor Who off my list at all.

Could arguably also add in Steven Universe as well. :thinking:

2 Likes

W…would we cound Rick and Morty as sci fi? Because they’d be on my list, in part because yeah okay I like it, but also because I know one of the animators from my undergrad days, and I’m so super proud of him!

1 Like

Yup, Talking Tina is one of the best.

1 Like