What's your personal connection to a riffed movie?

Do you have a personal connection to a riffed movie? Share it here!

Mine is Time Chasers. I have eaten in the restaurant that Nick and Lisa bring Matthew Paul in the future. It was a Papa Gino’s in a mall. Rest assured that Nick succeeded in averting the dystopian future as the restaurant (and the mall) no longer exist.

15 Likes

Following Beginning Of The End, Mike and the bots mock the special effects using postcards and rubber grasshoppers. One of the postcards is of Oldenburg, Indiana, which is a tiny village located less than a mile from the small town where I grew up.

Does that count?

10 Likes

I haven’t one, but my ex’s landlady was in the Home Economics short… and his primary advisor in college directed it. Watching it with him was always a treat. :smiley:

6 Likes

Hangar 18 from the KTMA days was partly filmed in Big Spring, TX, which is the place I’ve lived longest.

5 Likes

This may be cheating since San Francisco has a number of shooting locations for The Room, but I made sure to visit the restaurant featured in the “I cannot tell you. That’s confidential” scene.

Pictures

6 Likes

you may want to watch the rifftrax/brittrax version of Hangar 18. It looks really good compared to the ktma version and the riffs are mwah😘

3 Likes

Not a movie, but a short… I’ve been to the Space Needle and that area often (Century 21 Calling)

And not an episode but a live show… No Retreat, No Surrender, where most of Seattle was shot in California, except for Bruce Lee’s grave. Which was visited by 3 of the live cast.

5 Likes

In the KTMA episode of Gamera vs Guiron, Crow riffs that the accent of the two aliens means they’re from “Macon, GA”, which is very near where I grew up (lived nearby growing up, worked there for 14 years, and it has had an active comedy stand-up presence years back, which might be why Trace singled it out).

2 Likes

I live in the same neighborhood/area where Track of the Moon Beast was shot.

8 Likes

This thread reminds me of this fun little song:

4 Likes

There was a riff that followed a high pitched laugh was " HAHAHAHA… Raceway Park!" I grew up a few miles from Raceway Park and frequented it often back in those days.

The " HAHAHAHA… Raceway Park!" was an annoying radio ad that played incessantly on nearly every local radio station.

4 Likes

One of my earliest childhood memories is of a nightmare I had, and it wasn’t until seeing Invasion of the Neptune Men on MST3K that I realised the movie was the source for the dream. The nightmare incorporated a number of elements from the movie and I recognised them immediately. So I must have seen the movie on a local UHF channel way back then.

This also brought home to me just how big the difference can be in response and emotional impact of something on a child versus an adult. Present-day me can appreciate how unremittingly goofy the film is, yet still see how it could horrify an impressionable child.

1 Like

Not an episode connection, more like the theme song connection.

I remember in a documentary, Joel mentioned meeting up with Josh at a diner named The Square Peg and that’s where they hammered out the original MST3K theme. I used to eat there on a semi-regular basis when I worked in the area but it shut down a few years ago. That’s about as close as I’ve gotten to any element of the actual show.

4 Likes

This is a really good point. I remember being very little watching Gamera vs. Guiron over a friend’s house. His mother ran next door to talk with a neighbor, leaving us alone for less than 10 minutes. But in that time frame, Guiron made his debut in the movie.
Idk, if it was his appearance, his theme music, or us being alone. But, we both became terrified. All these decades later, I can remember that clear as day. It seems ridiculous now, that silly monster would have struck so much fear in us.

4 Likes

So many connections. The San Fernando airport was a location for The Slime People, Red Zone Cuba and…The Starfighters? No, The Skyfighters!

The Van Nuys airport was featured in This Island Earth and a little known B-movie called Casablanca. There’s a fun little restaurant there called the 94th Aero Squadron.

As a (n untamed) youth, I drove around Hollywood to find the apartment Ed Wood got evicted from shortly before his death. I think the building was torn down, though.

When we went rock climbing (yes!) as kids, we were generally in Chatsworth, an area that was hugely used for old Westerns, like Stagecoach—but also classics like The Creeping Terror, The Saga of the Viking Women and Their Voyage to the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent, Teenage Caveman, The Tomb (which hasn’t been MSTied and may never be due to langauge and nudity, alas), Gunslinger, Teenage Caveman, War of the Colossal Beast and many, many more!

We used to have cookouts juuuust over that ridge. Don’t even get me started on Vasquez Rocks and Bronson Canyon.

4 Likes

I grew up in El Paso, where they shot Manos. The very beginning of that movie is at the southern tip of Scenic Drive.

5 Likes

When I worked in San Francisco, it was near Chinatown and I used to walk to my car through the area shown in East Meets Watts. Both the Bow Bow Lounge and the chicken market were still there.

4 Likes

Does my dad working at “Pine City Vo Tech” (name dropped in a few riffs, but most notably “Being from Another Planet”) and me having vivid memories running around the campus as a kid during the 90s count?? LOL

4 Likes

Bow Bow!

Somewhere, I have an old recording of Folsom singing House of the Rising Sun on his karaoke machine.

1 Like

Mine’s just a connection to a riff, but in Mitchell when “BENTON” is being shouted, the riff “Harbor, Michigan!” is added on. I grew up in the area and worked in Benton Harbor for a couple years. It’s not a big area, so I was pretty surprised to hear it referenced!

2 Likes