What's YOUR Problem? A Thread for Griping Part 2

8 Likes

So, does that mean your ‘fine, fine’ or that you’re an Italian movie and you’re at your end?

3 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily mean I’m well, whatever it means.

2 Likes

It’s weird that a group of fans of a 35 year old show would be developing bunches of health issues! :smiley:
I had a major surgery 10 months ago. I got a bone spur in my toe that requires occasional cortisone shots so I can walk. I also can’t wait for my upcoming eye doctor appointment so I can get my progressive lenses increased so I can read clearly again. :+1:t3: :disguised_face:

6 Likes

When I say, “I’m fine”, it usually means I’m neutral… I’m neither here nor there, I’m fine, I’m okay, I’m whatever.

And yeah, the health issues, I don’t even know what to say about those anymore. Getting old and falling apart has not been fun, but that’s life, and it isn’t going to get any better, no matter how often I yell at a cloud.

4 Likes

Well I have to move my happy thread over here to the unhappy thread – my stepmom is NOT home from the hospital, and this is what I get for trying to text with my dad.
Me: Any update on discharge?
Him: Just got home
Me: thumbs up

Since they said she was supposed to go home yesterday OF COURSE I thought he meant both of them. But no. Her hemoglobin (is that just a fancy word for blood?) is dropping and they’re not sure yet if it’s just stablizing from the tranfusion or if she’s got more bleeding. So. Hmmmph.

3 Likes

I need a mug that says I AM PAINTING THE SHED BECAUSE I PAINTED JUST OVER HALF OF ONE SIDE IN JUNE AND I’M PERFECTLY OK WITH LEAVING IT BECAUSE IT’S A SHED BUT OH NOOOO

6 Likes

Hemoglobin is the specific protein in a red blood cell that carries oxygen

6 Likes

Can I Have

Fifty Pounds

To Mend the Shed?

3 Likes

Do you know that was based on a real poet?

2 Likes

As soon as the catastrophe came to be known
The alarm from mouth to mouth was blown,
And the cry rang out all o’er the town,
Good Heavens! the Tay Bridge is blown down,
And a passenger train from Edinburgh,
Which fill’d all the people’ hearts with sorrow,
And made them for to turn pale,
Because none of the passengers were sav’d to tell the tale
How the disaster happen’d on the last Sabbath day of 1879,
Which will be remember’d for a very long time.

3 Likes

While we are griping about our health woes…

Hidden because grossness.

Summary

I’ve had…um…digestive issues for close to two weeks. Dug out the pink pills the other day and discovered they were expired…in 2009. Still took 'em, cause maybe they would still help. Not so much. But I did pick up new ones at Walgreens today.

The wife also suggested probiotics. Tried taking those the last couple of days and maybe they have helped a little. And they were only expired since 2019. So got new ones of those today as well.

No issues with eating, it is just what comes at the end of that journey.

As of yesterday I’ve stopped taking my OTC allergy pills, my multivitamin, and my fish oil–all of which I’ve taken for years–in case somehow something happened there.

I think my next option (if the non-expired meds don’t do the trick) will have to be consulting a medical professional, but I really don’t want to do that.

6 Likes

Well if the issue is too much output, just stay hydrated! If the issue is no output at all, seek medical attention. Hoping things resolve soon.

Update: At last check, my stepmom’s hemoglobin had ticked up just a bit, so that’s good news. But at this point they’re not even discussing discharging her, so it’s more IVs and clear hospital liquids for her. If you’re the praying type, and I am not, consider praying for my stepmom. Not only is she a lovely lady but none of us want to deal with the wreck my father will become if she dies first. I have forbidden her to do so, but she’s a New Yorker so she may not listen to me :wink:

ETA: Her name is Denise. Don’t know if you need that for asking the big guy for favors but it can’t hurt!

10 Likes

Have you tried the BRAT diet for a bit? Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toasted Bread…it’s boring, but it can help stabilize a goofy gut.

Spinach is really good for your gut health, and my wife had some heartburn issues that went away when she started her DASH diet, which is basically for high blood pressure. It’s a high fruit/ veggie diet, with an emphasis on low salt. She also stopped drinking soda, which helped bring down sugar spikes.

Strawberries (not actual berries…), Blackberries, and Raspberries are really good, too.

Anti-biotics destroy all the bacteria in your gut, even the good stuff, so if you are taking them long-term, you must consult with your doctor to help repopulate your stomach with the good bugs.

4 Likes

Along those lines, probiotics are great, but you have to take them for a while before you have any real change in your gut flora. We’re talking weeks, not days. Also, your diet has to be friendly to them. After all, they eat what you eat. Most of them are big on fiber and not down with sugar, if I’m remembering correctly. Fiber is your friend and theirs.
Another way to help your gut is eating/drinking fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut and kombucha. I think live culture yogurt is similar, minus the fermentation. The point is this stuff is like probiotics in food form. I’m not big on the cabbage stuff myself, but we have a local kombucha brewer and that stuff is goooooood. Like soda, if soda was healthy and made from tea and bacteria. Don’t overthink it, it’s delicious.

5 Likes

The older a medication is, the less effective it tends to be, so those may not have helped you at all. As for probiotics, when I got over my stomach issue the last time, I started drinking kefir. I didn’t like it at first, but it really grew on me over time.

Hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend blackberries. There’s something in them that can promote kidney stones. After my kidney stone, it was on a no-no list for me.

2 Likes

I hope you guys feel better with what you’re all going through.

I have Another Norman Krasner groan, but a gripe none the less…
Yesterday I sold a brand new cordless impact wrench to my coworker and he gave me a $100 bill for payment. Went to Walmart early this morning for my weekly grocery shopping and used that hundred dollar bill for payment. The self checkout cash deposit machine wouldn’t accept the bill and kept spitting it out. It was an older hundred dollar bill but after multiple attempts I began to wonder if it was a fake :open_mouth:
Finally found a cashier after around 10 minutes (because none were at any of the checkout lanes) and they confirmed it was real and gave me 5 $20 bills so I could pay for my groceries. Stupid temperamental machines being picky about what kind of bills they accept :confounded:

7 Likes

I wonder how many of the old $100 bills are actually in circulation? It may be that they didn’t even bother training the machine on it because there are so few. It probably doesn’t take $2 bills either. Not saying that’s the right way to go about it, that’s just what I’m guessing happened.

Remember when a $2 bill was kind of a special thing to have? I hated spending them but I always would eventually.

7 Likes

I still have a $2 bill somewhere. And it wasn’t that long ago that the stamp machine at the post office would give change in Susan B. Anthony dollar coins.

I predict $2 bills might make a comeback soon due to inflation. And the time will come when we do away with physical money altogether.

7 Likes