What's YOUR Problem? A Thread for Griping Part 2

As long as those tuition payments kept coming, anyway.

2 Likes

For reasons I’ve never really been clear about, my parents enrolled me in a Catholic school for kindergarten and first grade. It was a surreal experience. Actual nuns shuffling about, creaky old radiators in the hallways. Those swinging hand-held incense holders still spook me to this day.

5 Likes

Don’t assume this is better. An HOA is an absolute dealbreaker for me, so I don’t have one of those, and I’m in unincorporated county land. Every time we hire a contractor, they ask if we’re city or county and when we say county they all do the exact same thing, where you make a pained grimace while sucking air in through your teeth. You know the one. Contractors love it.

It’s been fine, but it’s clear that builders would rather deal with the city suits than the county any day.

1 Like

There’s a Catholic school here. I don’t care how good it is. My daughter would hate it.

5 Likes

Here in SC, the county is not too involved in what you do with your property, unless it’s something illegal. People build additions or do modifications without a permit in the county, but the city wants to do multiple inspections before proceeding to the next phases until completion which could cost hundreds or thousands of extra dollars because of city inspectors.
Luckily, I’ve gotten pretty much all my home improvements completed over the years so I have no need for them to be in my business anymore.

2 Likes

Hmm, maybe that’s why the public school teachers of NC had no problem telling me what they thought

1 Like

I went to Catholic school from 8th to 12th grade. Very few kids were actually religious, most were just going through the motions because their parents made them.

3 Likes

Oh yes, same here. My daughter would very much not be okay with that. Somewhat related: I made a decision as she approached tweendom that I wouldn’t police her for swearing.

Like so many other parental things, I figure it’s better to lead by example than stick my head in the sand and hope for the best. Swearing is a natural and effective part of speech; the key is to use it judiciously. If she drops the occasional sh!t or f-bomb with me in conversation, it helps me stay abreast of what she feels passionate about.

This would never have flown with my parents, it’s actually kinda cool to be a force for change about it.

3 Likes

I stopped policing her for swearing when I was sure she wouldn’t accidentally do it in front of her teacher. Now that she’s 13, I swear in front of her all the time and she can do it in front of me.

3 Likes

So, my dope of a Primary Care doc that sent me to his friend, the incompetent 90 y/o endocrinologist, also failed to submit a referral to my insurance. So, I’m stuck paying $130 for each of the two visits where he did nothing but write a prescription (I still had to call him twice to follow up with the pharmacy). :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I don’t mean to get political, but as someone who has become extremely familiar with the American medical system in general and also what it costs, I can say that both are severely lacking to the point of being non-viable in the long term, which is pretty scary.

6 Likes

Political or not, this is a fact.

7 Likes

We’re thousands in medical debt at this point, including a $500 bill from a surgeon who saw me for literally 15 minutes, told me he couldn’t help me and left because we forgot to check if he was in network. My wife just did a refinancing on the house to cover credit card bills, but we’re just going to have to do a payment plan for the medical bills. And they’re only going to go up.

2 Likes

I waited until the noise in my ear became a pain, went to an All Better Care to check it out, and when they tried to pass me to an ER I was like 'No, no, you got this" because I frankly would rather be stabbed in the brain then see the bill

By the way Im certified EMS in PA
tap dances out of the room

2 Likes

Apologies if I’ve already told this story: About a decade ago I had one of those high-deductible HSA health insurance plans. I got food poisoning of a variety that the first symptom was … unpleasant and shocking, let’s say. I tried to get in to see my GP who told me she couldn’t work me in and sent me to the ER. Two pills, one surgical glove and five minutes with the attending physician later I got a $1200 bill.

The next time I tried to go to my GP I was told I was no longer on her patient list because I hadn’t been there in too long.

4 Likes

God bless our Healthcare system

7 Likes

I take the Platinum plan on our company’s health insurance system. Costs a bundle, but I could get a cyborg body for $500 out of pocket.

4 Likes

Darn it, this gal I like at work…married!

Oh well, I forgive her, and I’ll allow it. She’s still a really strong worker and pretty funny.

I encountered a cart where the driver dumped his or her bags in an extremely unsat manner, and she helped me fix it up. I muttered under my breath, “hijo de puta” (one of a small number of things I can say in Spanish, which is her native language), and she agreed with me, by adding in “coño.” Of course she could have been addressing me! :thinking:

Normally I’d say something about the NHS here, but we’ve had years of it being undermined by people who want an American-style system and it’s on the verge of collapse. :frowning:

2 Likes

Well that’s a darn shame :open_mouth:

Well, that’s a relief :+1: