What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

Negative test. I escape you again, Covid. Savoir Faire is everywheeeere…!"

sf

12 Likes

Caution: Slightly icky. Read no further if you don’t like icky.

After my surgery, they installed this thing in me- a tube that goes to a bulb and the bulb fills up with blood and water and coagulated stuff and whatever else oozes out of stitched wounds. It’s really gross and several times a day I have to empty it out, measure it and note it down. When it gets below a certain threshold of liquid, I can get it removed but it is taking forever. The worst is when I have to pull a long string of coagulated stuff out of the bulb to clear it. I mean I know surgery is gross, but still…

1 Like

There’s also Racket, which is nice. On the other hand, Clojure had some reall stuck up documentation from what I remember.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a fun little thing, very reminiscent of old-school “look, this stuff isn’t that hard, and you can do things quickly.” I am all for anything along those lines.

“Stuck up” is an interesting and not inaccurate way to put up.

If Kotlin is Java’s sexy little sister, Clojure is her weird cousin who is super-smart and nerdy, but also kind of hot. (Forgive me if this whole analogy is sexist. I’m on a roll.)

1 Like

The human body: not so neat IRL as in that apocalyptic nightclub scene from Warrior Of The Lost World.

:bouquet:

4 Likes

I’ll bet their system was still wanting the first code that never arrived because they forgot land lines still exist… I’ve seen it other places as well, they say “phone” when they mean “text”.

3 Likes

All the best to you with the recovery process, brother.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks much!

4 Likes

Sounds about right…

8 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, I actually do wish I liked to cook. I can make decent food for myself, but my error rate is so high that it takes me forever and is nothing but a frustrating chore. I’m not bad at it due to neglect of the skill, I’m just rubbish at remembering *how to cook stuff. Recipes must be incredibly detailed and tell me every half-step or else I make stupid mistakes. I murdered some pancakes the other day. Pancakes, which I’ve been making for years and should know how to cook cuz they’re not even hard but I mess them up somehow every time anyway :woozy_face: But when I say I hate cooking, people assume I just say that to get out of doing it lol

4 Likes

You never realize just how much you use your middle finger for, besides the obvious, until you injure it… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Keep trying! I have several hundred recipes in Google docs that I’ve curated over the years. Most my kid could follow. Cooking doesn’t have to be difficult to be tasty - one of my favorite go-tos is just a box of cooked orzo tossed with a pint of quartered cherry tomatoes, a ball of fresh mozzarella (diced), half a cup of pistachios, some fresh basil and minced garlic, salt, pepper and a few hefty dashes of extra virgin olive oil. It’s so good this time of year and so easy I could write it in one long sentence.

Once you start developing gaining confidence, you can work up to the next thing you’ll bomb but have fun making (for me, that’s bao - always misshapen but still tasty). Burning food is one of the worst things, which can be avoided if you pay attention and have all your ingredients ready to go before you start the actual cooking. Good luck!

4 Likes

Not everyone has to enjoy cooking. My mom doesn’t like cooking. I do, but I never thought I would. Interestingly enough, I learned to enjoy cooking when I was in grad school and lived in a crappy apartment with no room to cook. Whenever I came home to visit my parents I would cook and bake and I found that I really liked doing it.

But my mom has been cooking for almost 60 years and she’s never enjoyed it. So you have company. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sounds Peg Bracken-ish. I picked up her habit of dubbing recipes like this, “From the Rockpile.” It’s not an insult, but just describes a meal that you can readily make on Automatic after a long day and still really enjoy.

My El Pato-based beef chili is like that at our house. I’ve been fixing it since I was a humble art student and wanted something in my arsenal besides take-out pizza and peanut butter sandwiches.

3 Likes

Another product review that’s not going to happen…
A seller first wanted me to do a product review of some windshield wiper blades. I gave them the year, make, and model of both my vehicles only to find out they do not carry wipers for either of them…
Then they contact me overnight wanting me to test a pair of gas struts. Again I ask if they will fit my one vehicle and at first they said yes because they are ‘Universal fit’… Well come to find out after they research them, they Don’t fit my one vehicle after all!
You might want to rethink your business strategy and stop wasting my time :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Perhaps you need to rethink your strategy and be more willing to buy a new vehicle just so that you can do a review of their products.

2 Likes

That’s my problem!:thinking:
Old vehicles, older cell phone, etc.
I need to get with the times :grin:

2 Likes

Rack one up on the tiles for that.

I think the old 2000 Camry XLE v6 3.0L is getting a bit worse for wear.

But, kudos to me, I had an extra 7.5A fuse in the glovebox to fix the clock and remote door lock on break at work this morning. Good as new! Shoot. Has newer control arm bushings, decent reman Denso alternator, solid serpentine, PCM is OK AFAICT.

Incomplete combustion, which is probably just spark plugs. “That gasoline smell! I love it in the morning!”

It’s about 180,000 miles so far, good struts, new timing belt, regular oil changes from previous owner to now…some…“minor” body damage, but don’t care about that.

CV joints might be on their way out, and some oil burning (never seen any liquid leaks), but I figure a quart every few month down or so.

But dammit! I can never put the engine fuse box cover back on the right way! Meh, who cares! It works fine.

2 Likes

Not sure where to post this because I’m a mess right now.

Gobi the cat passed away last night.

We gave him the best last days. He got special people food and catnip and got to play outside and eat grass and chase bugs and lay on the sun. He slept in the people bed with his people and got to lay on our chests and sneeze into our faces. He was and is loved desperately.

But we are going to miss him so very much and are so damn sad.

Love you Gobi, you were such a sassy little butthead and one of the best cats ever to exist. We’re going to miss you screaming at us all around the house because you want a lap to sleep in or a door to be opened. Goodbye, you orange little rascal, and thanks forever for giving us all of the time you had to give.

9 Likes