What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

Nothing aligns with anything, Andrew!

5 Likes

Thank you so much Pearls_Mint, I needed to hear that. And your point about a realistic perspective of Canada is SPOT ON. I am that pleasant stereotype we all like to imagine Canada is, and apparently so are you, proving geographic boundaries and political legislation has nothing to do with it. I have no friends of family to turn to in these times because they’ve all turned their backs on me for not going out and partying like it’s 2019 with them, because I care about the bigger picture and other people.
And in terms of police, in my city they are renowned for abusing people of my community, even allowing serial killers to continue wiping us out in the case of Bruce McArthur (look him up if you didn’t hear of him, he killed two of my former customers/friends). And I’m not even a person of colour! I fully acknowledge I STILL have an easier time than a lot of other people in my community because of this , as much as it sickens me.
BUT! There’s a but. We have places like THIS, and communities of MSTies, and non-MSTies who care, ALL OVER the place, we can’t forget that. This is where good things can begin, and a better world can come to seed, and maybe one day it will bear fruit.
I still thank you all for your well meaning and sorries, even if they shouldn’t have to exist. It’s a great comfort just knowing I’m not the last person who cares.
Be grateful and kind to your loved ones, and may happiness and peace begin to fill the balance of our lives, sooner than later. :heart:

7 Likes

Man, I hope Canada gets its act together before I flee there.

6 Likes

I hope the world gets its act together so NO ONE has to flee their home.

9 Likes

I lived in Canada for 7 years while I was getting my Ph.D., and there were many wonderful people I met there, but without getting into details, I came back to Idaho a year before I finished my Ph.D. because I had to get away from one of my Ph.D. committee people and I couldn’t figure out any other way to escape than by doing so physically. I almost abandoned my 7 years of grad school just to get away from her.

So I think I’ve seen the best and worst Canada has to offer in my time there, and I’m with you. We need to treat each other well, even if we disagree on everything under the sun. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

8 Likes

Been dealing with yet another Amazon seller since June 18 saying they were gonna send me 2 of their products for review and finally I received 1 this week, did the product review and been awaiting the second product…
Then on June 29 I get this email

Would your side be willing to shoot for the other product as well? I will arrange to send it if you want.

I respond politely that I would be willing to make a product review of your other product but what I really wanted to say was: Uh yes… Been waiting on it for a while now…
Then received this email overnight:

Thank you for your love, but the product now we do not need the video for the time being, we now have a product of this.

So you waste my time for almost 2 weeks and now you don’t need a product review of it :rage:
Then they ask if I wish to do review another product instead and I respond. “No thank you.
I was really looking forward to doing a product review video of your other product based on our earlier conversations, if I cannot do a product review video of your earlier product you mentioned then I’ll move on to other products from other sellers.”
I’m noticing this pattern pretty frequently about sellers wanting me to review their products with a ‘long term business relationship’ and then they change their tune or don’t follow through with shipping the products mentioned…
Just getting really annoyed with sellers wasting my time :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

My current gripe is that a fairly extensive product at work wasn’t updated for THREE YEARS, and now I have to trawl through reporting on FIFTY-FOUR GD countries over that timespan to try to get enough information to update it before I head to my year-long rotation.

What makes it worse is that I’ve been pretty tired due to not sleeping that well (although last night was deliciously good sleep for once), so I’ll often find myself nodding off during the trawling, which doesn’t remotely help me in finding the reporting I need. Arrrrggghhh…

2 Likes

Edit to add: WARNING!!! Long gripe post, about things that are trivial compared to many who have generously shared some much more serious gripes.

Cripplingly tired due to poor quality sleep, provoked by excessive alcohol consumption. That’s fine: I can fix that over the next few days.

Been really going over the top by being insulting to certain coworkers. They deserve it, and I haven’t called them names or anything. That needs to stop immediately, but it is tempting to gossip with some of “my people.” Which is fun, and basically harmless, except when one isn’t so discreet as to not be overheard. I’ve got to knock that off, especially as temperatures are rising and tempers are flaring up in general.

I think I have mice again at home, or at least one mouse. Haven’t seen them in a long time, but I’m going to have to start setting snap traps again, in addition to the D-Con (or whatever it’s called) traps. Kind of gross and annoying.

For some reason, I pulled out $60 from an ATM at a bar, and I have absolutely no idea what I did with that money. Nor what happened to a couple of packs of cigarettes I bought that day. Getting blackout drunk at some dive bar regularly needs to stop immediately, so that’s resolved. I blame reading Bukowski’s novels as a young man! Very bad influence! :upside_down_face:

It all adds up to that feeling of profound dread, like I’m “in trouble” for some reason, with multiple people in my life. Which is not a good feeling.

5 Likes

I’m glad you didn’t abandon your degree, though! It really sucks when you work so hard for something, and someone else comes along and turns everything upside down.

You’re right, a little kindness and patience goes a loooooooong way.

6 Likes

Yeah, it took a few months and some intervention from my advisor, but I did make it a year after. And for the first while after I got the Ph.D. diploma, I would look at it and think, “Well, she can’t take this away from me!” :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Just sending you some good wishes from Wisconsin! I’ll be another friend and ally from afar, but if you move here like TeriG, let us know! The world would be a much better place with more empathy and open-mindedness.

9 Likes

Thank you wyswysia! It’s always good to know there’s support peppered all over the place. That loud minority is REALLY loud, and violent. I think we kind people of the world will be okay as long as we keep watching each others’ backs. :slight_smile:

And if anyone thinks I’m overexaggerating, a poignant article was published in the CBC about the rise of Canadian Transphobia today: Transphobia is gaining ground in the U.S. Gender-diverse people in Canada worry it could happen here | CBC News

3 Likes

All I’ll say about the situation in the U.S. is: we’re two completely different peoples now, and we require two completely different nations.

2 Likes

Way more than two, thanks.

1 Like

We would still have plenty of differences, but I think with two we could at least survive.

Dropping it now, though… too political.

3 Likes

Hmmm.

This little electrolyte powder I occasionally take has almost no potassium, some sodium, and no magnesium!

It has no added sugars, so that’s good.

I find this unacceptable! I think I’m going to have to resort to using magnesium chloride supplements…as an extremely prolific sweater, six days a week, with very few dietary sources of magnesium, and almost none present in my daily multivitamin, I think it would be prudent.

Trust me, I know what I’m doing! It’s fine!

2 Likes

My rule of thumb is…

If it tastes good it’s probably bad for you
If it tastes bad it’s probably good for you

1 Like

Jack LaLanne’s first rule of dieting:

“If it tastes good, spit it out.”

3 Likes

Started to mow the lawn. After a couple of back and forths, the “hold this to make the mower turn on” handle broke off in my hand. This is not a part that we can repair (we tried). Went to Lowes to see if they had any corded mowers I could purchase, and the dude there looked at me like I was crazy. Went to Menards and they had one, but it looked like the cheapestly-made mower I’ve ever seen. So, internet shopping it shall be.

Note: I don’t want a gas mower, and I prefer corded over battery powered electric mowers because the batteries don’t have enough juice for me to mow the whole lawn in one sitting.

7 Likes

It’s an internet of savings at MENARDS!!!

5 Likes