What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

Fireworks that go off in the air are illegal here, but people set them off all the time and I never hear of anyone getting a fine for it. My sisters lived in the same neighborhood as a police officer and when their neighbor was setting off illegal fireworks, he came over and watched. I mean, he wasn’t on duty but still!

My aunt and uncle said that their neighbor claims to have more fireworks than Melaleuca does. If that means nothing, then, you need to know that the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration is the largest fireworks show west of the Mississippi River, completely funded by the founder of the Melaleuca company, Frank Vandersloot (probably the richest man in Idaho). So to claim that means that he’s claiming his backyard fireworks are going to be bigger than a show that draws over 100,000 people to this area every year.

And if he’s being honest, then, he’s got a LOT of illegal fireworks and he’ll be setting them off in a field. Yeah. No risk of fire there. I’m glad that’s happening a few miles away from me.

2 Likes

Thanks in part to my own stupidity in staying late at a friend’s house and in part to the callous disregard of my neighbors, I got four hours of sleep last night and kept getting woken up by fireworks going off until THREE IN THE GD MORNING.

Seriously. THREE AM. I woke up briefly then and heard the telltale “pop pop” of fireworks going off several streets over and glanced at my watch, only to see it said it was after three. WTF people? Did you buy out an entire fireworks stand???

5 Likes

And then you get the joy of getting up, going outside and finding spent fireworks all over your yard that you didn’t shoot off, and now get to clean up.

4 Likes

I used to live in South Gate, California in a neighborhood where pretty much everyone (but us) was Mexican either by heritage or direct immigration. Mexicans love fireworks. It sounded like a war zone until about 2 am as every single neighbor lit off fireworks. We had a small baby at the time, and amazingly she slept through it.

3 Likes

I fell out with the one friend I had who loves shooting off fireworks. Or he still did last I heard. So that’s one moral conflict I’m spared these days.

I used to love them. Even the garish tacky labels and the awful chemical smells pleased me. But climate change kind of ruined that, like it ruins everything.

4 Likes

I grew up in New Jersey where the only legal option was sparklers, although that didn’t stop at least a few people. Now I love in central VA. I honestly don’t know what’s legal because people just shoot off EVERYTHING. Luckily, even when people are getting pretty nuts, they wrap up by about 10, 10:30 latest. And my daughter, who was never the best sleeper, has nearly always - except for once - slept through all manner of fireworks and thunderstorms.

So at least I got that going for me.

4 Likes

Just got diagnosed with covid, a sinus infection, and an ear infection all in one 12 hour visit to the ER. If I can get bubonic plague do I get a bingo? Fortunately seems to be a mild case, but have to lock myself in my bedroom for the next 5 days. Looks like it’s time to catch up on those new episodes I’ve been meaning to watch.

3 Likes

Oh my! Get well soon!

5 Likes

If you catch the flu you get a free 6" sub

Maybe the germs will fight each other and cancel themselves out, like Mr Burns

5 Likes

Speediest recoveries to ya, brother.

6 Likes

Thanks folks, needed that good cheer. :heart:

7 Likes

I busted out a first draft of a five-minute script in ninety minutes, then the printer decided to take a huge dump on everything and it took over half an hour to print four copies. So now I’m up far too late again. And drinking to excess.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I discovered yesterday that clearing your cookies will delete your entire Wordle stats history

2 Likes

Ugh my mom just fell for a phishing attack.

Guess I’ll be reformatting a laptop this weekend

2 Likes

It’s never kept my stats history, not sure if it’s a cookie issue or a VPN issue.

Not a complaint per se, but totally had to share this. Got a call from the ER doing all the usual follow up stuff. Could barely keep a straight face when the lady started talking. She sounded EXACTLY like Roz from Monsters Inc. Monotone delivery and all. That was hands down the best laugh I’ve had in ages. After I hung up of course. :rofl:

9 Likes

Yeah if you have cookies blocked or if you’re using any type of private/incognito stuff it probably wouldn’t, since it stores everything in the browser (since Wordle doesn’t require a NYT login). I should have known, I just didn’t think about it… c’est la vie

1 Like

In your honor, I’ll start tomorrow with SHAME as in “that’s a.” :hugs:

1 Like

The real tragedy is once I got Wordle on the first guess and now I have no official record of it, and it will never happen again because I always use the same starting word… :sob:

2 Likes