What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

The faucet in my bathtub is leaky. drip. drip. drip. drip. drip. The fixtures and plumbing are so old and such a pain to mess with that I daren’t try to fix it myself. But I can’t call the plumber for the fourth time this month over something that’s a mere annoyance

5 Likes

When that happens here, my wife gets out the tool kit right away. I’m like, “eh. Let it drip for a while. We can get to it this weekend.” But she insists on it being fixed, so I’m not going to get in her way.

4 Likes

Fold up an old towel and put it where the drip is landing, then stride briskly away? What you can’t hear doesn’t exist :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I’ve got a kitchen faucet that drips from the hot water handle.
I found out that turning it slight on from off slows, almost stops the drip completely so I’m gonna live with that option for a while instead of replacing the faucet entirely :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Better than an old towel – which will eventually get soaked and then you’ll hear the SPLAT when the drips fall on it – tie a string to the faucet so the drip runs down the string:

faucet with a diagram of where to tie the string

Problem solved, ONCE AND FOR ALL

5 Likes

…Except for your water bill.

4 Likes

Look at little miss water bill moneybags over here!

3 Likes

Do none of you live in the Western US? LOL!

Fix the drip! You’re wasting water and it’s going to get expensive. Even a slow drip can waste up to two gallons of water overnight. (we’ve had to slow drip faucets this winter due to the cold. Two gallons is how much my plant pitcher will hold)

4 Likes

I SAID, ONCE AND FOR ALL

5 Likes
4 Likes

You jinxed me.

I wasn’t the foreman, but I was selected for a murder trial. We just wrapped up today. Just senseless violence, one man dead and another going to prison for a long time.

I need a drink.

3 Likes

Got my pupils dilated today! Now I can’t see well enough to read, can’t play video games that require too much reading, and I’m relegated to websites with a dark mode (Like this one, thank goodness!) while I wait for my eyes to go back to normal.

7 Likes

Something is chirping in my apartment. It’s not loud. It’s not even regular or frequent. Just every so often, there’s a little chirp. It seems to be coming from the building fire alarm (as opposed to the one just for my apartment). I’ve reported it a couple of times but because it’s so irregular and so infrequent, neither the manager nor the maintenance guy have heard it. The manager checked with the fire people and they said that it’s impossible that their alarm chirps. It either goes off or it doesn’t. So the manager had the maintenance guy replace my apartment alarm even though it’s wired and doesn’t need a battery and I’m positive it’s not coming from there.

But it’s happened again and still it’s coming from the other alarm as far as I can tell (unless there’s a hidden smoke alarm in the wall). It’s not that it’s unbearable or anything. It’s just that I can’t get it fixed because no one else has had a chance to hear it and diagnose it.

7 Likes

OMG this would drive me absolutely batty

Several years ago, for months I could not stand to be in my local Home Depot because something up toward the ceiling was making a high-pitched whine. But nobody could hear it but me. I asked a few different employees about it and they all thought I was nuts. Not because it was quiet – to me it was as loud as a normal person talking, or my phone ringing – but because it was too high frequency. Then one day it was gone.

Being able to hear really high pitched noises is absolutely the sh—iest superpower in the world.

5 Likes

The wife wanted to watch some of her old VHS tapes she brought from Pittsburgh and I still have 3 DVD/VCR combos in my home…
The 1 hooked up in the building next door she misplaced the remote so it was obviously limited in functions… Swapped it out with one I had in my spare room that had a remote and it wanted to eat the tapes :weary: Finally swapped out the remaining combo buried under stuff in the bedroom and voila it plays perfectly and had a working remote :tada:
She had started looking on Amazon and Walmart for replacement VCRs and WHOLLY!! The prices are Ridamndiculous!! Like $200, $300, even $500 :scream:
I’m glad I finally found one that still worked because I think she was actually planning on buying one :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

This is why I disconnect the smoke detectors everywhere I go.

Besides battery dying, I have noticed that some detectors will chirp because they’re dirty. Ut seems to kinda/sorta register as smoke.

I’m sure there’s a reason that’s not possible but I’ve cleaned detectors that were perfectly juiced and had the chirping go away. (Then when no one’s looking, I just rip them off the ceiling.)

2 Likes

Umm not only is that unsafe, but if you are living in an apartment complex it could be illegal.

1 Like

Judge Dredd GIF

(I might also be kidding.)

3 Likes

Even a wired smoke or carbon monoxide alarm has a battery, so it will continue working during a power outage. They will chirp when the battery is low or when they have reached “end of life” and need to be replaced.

It could be coming from another apartment… I remember once the apartment below mine was vacant and the alarm battery died. I could hear it chirping and saying “low battery” every few minutes for days until they came around to fix it.

5 Likes

Let’s hope you don’t know anyone who’s a real dickweed that thinks they’re funny and can get into your apartment.

https://www.amazon.com/AnnoyingPCB-Ultimate-Productivity-Destroyer-Assembled/dp/B08KG6XHN1

2 Likes