What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

Let me ponder on this a tad… :thinking:

I put some eggs on to boil, forgot about them, and ruined the eggs and my good 3-quart saucepan. Rats.

2 Likes

Hot rats!

3 Likes

Something I ate Friday night must have had soy in it, spent Saturday taking Benadryl and sleeping since that’s about all you can do when taking extra antihistamines.

Here it is Sunday afternoon and I’m feeling almost back to normal, some exorcise mowing the lawn should get me fully back to normal.

4 Likes

I’m in a minor skirmish with myself this weekend. My brain is yelling, “It’s a beautiful day! Do all the things!” while my body is whining that it needs rest (like my aching elbow). Grrr.

5 Likes

A brand new episode of Midsomer Murders just started, and they’ve changed the theme music! There’s no longer a theremin. I’m not a big fan of the show, but we need more theremins!

3 Likes

So, what you are saying is there needs to be a universally observed thereminimum.

6 Likes

I’m game as long as we also observe a theremaximum, and set it the same as bagpipes and vuvuzela.

7 Likes

I wish people would not come to work when they’re sick. Even if I can understand deciding to come in when you know it’s only a cold, coming into work when you’re feeling terrible is a bad idea. Has COVID taught us nothing? I rant because one of the people I work with came to work on Wednesday feeling terrible. That is his word. Terrible. He came to work and I spoke to him for a minute or two, standing back once he told me that he wasn’t feeling well. Then, he went home. He stayed home for a couple of days and then came back on Friday wearing a mask. He wasn’t there on Saturday and why not? Well, it turns out that he has COVID. Given how little I interacted with him, I should be fine, but I tested myself yesterday and today, just to be sure, and I’ll test myself tomorrow morning to be thorough, but WHY? If he had just not come to work, I wouldn’t be worrying. He was feeling terrible. It’s not like he accomplished much by being there.

And no, he didn’t have to be. His position is one where he could stay home without repercussions.

I have emphasized to my employees that I don’t want them working when they’re sick because there are only two of us at the planetarium who can run shows and we are working closely together every day. If I get sick, then, it’s entirely likely that he’ll get sick too and we’re shut down until one of us is well again. This other person I work with has a couple of people who can manage things for him, but it’s just so stupid to do this.

WHY?!

(Oh, and on a sidenote: cigarette smoke really smells bad. I do not understand how anyone can stand it. One of my neighbors goes out on his patio frequently during the day to smoke, often coughing badly. Why? Yes, I know it’s an addiction, but I’ve never understood how anyone could stand the smell long enough to get addicted. Yum. Tar and other caustic chemicals. Let me take them into my lungs.)

8 Likes

I hardly ever smell it anymore since it’s not allowed at work and just about everywhere I go. I used to not like it but could tolerate it, but now when I do smell it I just can’t stand it at all. At a stoplight in back of someone puffing smoke out their window is the worst. I guess that’s actually a pretty good thing if the air behind a stopped car is so odor free these days that you notice when someone in the car is smoking.

6 Likes

I caught a whiff of cigarette smoke on my doctor when she listened to my lungs at my physical last week. Life in flavor country, USA is wild.

7 Likes

5 Likes

My wife bought some books secondhand on the web. They reek of smoke, like the books lived under an ashtray. Recovering these books from the stink is not going well. She has now dumped an entire box of fresh baking soda in a bin with them. Fingers crossed this works.

7 Likes

The wife and I went to the Cheesecake Factory in Charlotte, NC. with my friend (you remember, the one that bought a $3000 bottle of Scotch Whiskey), and 3 meals plus cheesecake deserts, the total bill came to $120 ($150 with tip)… :flushed:

AAAND… As I was typing this, a power transformer up the street exploded. Currently running on my backup generator power and probably will be for the next hour or 2 until power is restored.
Just got an update from the city power company and they estimate 3 hours :open_mouth:

6 Likes

That reminds me of a night I went out with some people from work right after I started there. One guy suggested a good Turkish place, which he’s been to often enough over the years that the owner brings him stuff not on the menu and will sit and chat for a while despite this guy living on the other side of the country. Anyway, we’re ordering and he asks if we want to split a bottle of wine, so we say yes, and later get another one. Since this place looks like a typical kebab shop from the outside, none of us even question what he orders. When the bill comes my portion of the wine was significantly more than my actual food. I think it was about £80 worth of wine in the end, which was a shock.

Probably 20 to 25 years ago I was given some books from someone at work that smoked, it was about a year before I could stand the smell of just opening them, 2 years before I could read them.

Even worse was when she would ask me to fix her computer, the smell was overpowering when trying to clean out dust and tar from the heat sinks and fans.

Anytime I’ve bought old used RPG books, they have invariably reeked of smoke. In some cases smoke from probably 40 years ago.

I love the smell of pipe smoke, though.

4 Likes

Around 2 hours later, power is back on.
The first long test of my 22K backup generator and it performed Perfectly! :clap: :clap:

12 Likes

I’ve always had some degree of breathing problems/illnesses here and there as a youngster. I had to use an inhaler whenever I’d get bronchitis.

As such, I’d never go anywhere near a pack of smokes for a number of reasons. Can’t stand the blasted things. Thankfully, the company I’ve kept over the years has been such that it’s never really been an issue.

5 Likes

Why is it that cigarette smoke smells disgusting but pipe smoke smells kind of nice, or at least, a whole lot better? What are they putting in the cigarettes that isn’t in pipe tobacco?

And don’t get me started on cigars!

3 Likes