What's your white whale?

What was the name of that movie? That book? That game? Let’s help each other remember those lost tidbits that keep us awake at night.

I’ll start: Three or four years ago I saw a fantastic demon hunter movie on Netflix. I think it was a South American film, Brazilian maybe? Or perhaps Portuguese instead? Great production values, took place in the modern day, some of the characters were superhero-ish. One character was a woman who could manipulate string/rope so quickly she could bind people up with it. Another was a young girl warrior who was an angel of some sort. The movie was visceral and very violent, kinda had vibes of Dredd.

Near the beginning this angel and a few other girls, dressed in schoolgirl outfits and sucking on lollipops, ambushed some men/demons in a warehouse in a spectacular battle.

I cannot remember what this was and I want to find it again. Does anyone know?

9 Likes

I’ve been trying to find what was my favorite dinosaur book as a kid. It was a slightly oversized hardback, no slipcover or anything, mostly red with some white edging on the spine and white lettering. Had some dinos on the cover as well, and I think the emblem of the series or publishing company was a rainbow. Inside there were a lot of full color timelines. This would’ve been published sometime in the early to mid 1980s.

I checked that book out of the library SO many times and even though it’s gotta be WAY out of date by now, I kind of really want a copy!

ETA: And this wasn’t really a “kids” book…I was an advanced reader for my age, so this was a middle-school or maybe even high school-level book. Had a fair amount of pages, maybe up to 200+.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with the other two, but I think I remember this…maybe it was this Netflix series? Not an angel, but a nun?

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a cartoon I watched as a kid for many years. All I remember is that it featured talking apes and one of them was named Marius. I remember a female ape crying out his name. I have no further details, but I would love to know what I watched.

5 Likes

Could it have been an Usborne book? Their old logo is a rainbow balloon, and the book sounds like their style.

4 Likes

What general time period are we looking at for this one?

3 Likes

I have no idea when the cartoon originally came out, could have been any time after color TV, but I saw it in the early 1980s.

3 Likes

Good idea…and dang, they have published a LOT of dino books!..but I don’t see it there. Thanks for the tip, though!

3 Likes

One thing I want to do is have a full collection of the marvel Alf comics. It’s something around 45 issues, and I have roughly half.

6 Likes

Oh, wow, what a flood of memories! I used to have a couple of those Alf comics! (I’ve since lost them.)

I remember one where it’s all snowy, and they make an Alf snowman, and this bully keeps knocking it down, and so on and so forth.

5 Likes

It was definitely a movie, not a series, but thank you! The artwork Netflix used for it looked like it might be a low-budget Asylum-type flick, so I passed over it for awhile. But it turned out to be quite the opposite. I got the feeling the story was based on indigenous lore or some existing legend. I’ll keep digging for it.

3 Likes

No joke, if you’re looking for old back issues, this guy in Toledo, OH has an AMAZING selection. I stopped in a couple years ago when I was in town, and he has a ton of older comics. I bought 4 Man From UNCLE comics, and he didn’t have them out…I just asked and he went to a box in the back and pulled them out. I was impressed. O_O

He doesn’t have an online shop yet, but I think he ships and it might be worth a call!

http://www.jcscomicsnmore.com/

7 Likes

Much thanks!

3 Likes

My white whale is Moby.

HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID!

6 Likes

I have been DYING to post about this!

Alright so years back, I wanna say I was 9 or 10 so anywhere from 2012-2013, maybe even earlier, is my best estimate (hell, I would say the late 2000s was when this thing was probably made), my parents were up watching horror films & such on tv & ofc they didn’t want me in the living room. Being nosy as I was, I hid in a very small corner of the hallways that lead up to the living room where I could see the tv but they couldn’t see me.

I think the network was Starz? Something affiliated with Starz, I’m adamant. I think I came right at the beginning so ofc I didn’t catch the title, but it started with this family, two human parents & really shoddy hand puppet children. They were driving back home at night (possibly in a storm) with a kitten they picked up. They go home & all & set the kitten in the kitchen. Everybody’s getting ready for bed when, I believe the mom, walks in the kitchen & finds the kitten now dead & the phone cord cut. The person who broke into the house shows up, dressed as the grim reaper (if not, was the grim reaper), kills the mom & dad. Those hand puppet kids were in the shower & quickly get killed in there shortly after the parents. I think at that point, for some reason, it scared my little child brain enough to make me retreat to the back room.

The effects were obviously, I’m sure purposefully, low budget (ketchup blood, stuffing in place of gore, kitten was clearly a doll) & the reason I think it was some sorta Starz network was cause their bumper played shortly after. I’ve asked my mom about it on & off over the years but she doesn’t seem to recall the title, but remembers me running into the computer room after it & kinda giving me that “we warned you” talk.

I am so sure this wasn’t like some fever dream, it’s so clear to me even if I’m terrible at describing it, clearer in my mind than in my words. I tell you I’ve tried every combination of keywords I could think of, every possible date I could think of this thing coming out, I put in the years into google’s filter while searching & I still cannot find anything that matches what I saw. Maybe I just didn’t look hard enough or missed it.

I am desperate to find this thing again, cause honestly now that I think of that, something like that, with the low budget look & clear parody of horror films is so up my alley! Also I remember that it was just a one off thing, it didn’t seem to be tied to any series or anything. It wasn’t like a movie either, maybe some short student film or like a festival film of some sorts that the network just picked to air?

5 Likes

My first comic book was an alf X-men parody called (I think) the McMelmen. I got it at a garage sale when I was four years old, I still have it somewhere.

6 Likes

The intermix of humans and puppets makes be believe it might have been The Fuzz, though I don’t know if they had an episode specifically like that.

The movie The Happytime Murders sounds like a potential match as well, but it’s later than the timeframe you posit.

3 Likes

I loved that series. I especially enjoyed that it had both stuff from Melmac and plenty of the Tanners-- without the actor torture! I was also a sucker for the puns and parody. I still revisit them now and then. I think I had every issue except maybe one or two.

3 Likes

X-Melmen! Professor Xylophone, Psych Major, Michigan Wolverine, Hagen Dazzler, Brogue, Nightcaller, Magmeato, Emma Defrost, and Dark Kleenex!

5 Likes

One I recall was some murder mystery TV movie. I don’t recall much other than a silhouetted or semi-silhouetted face appearing upside down outside a window on a train. The train was a more ‘modern’ 70’s train. Other than that, I recall nothing aside from it freaking me out. I saw it again years later, but still have no idea about anything else in that movie.

Later on in high school, there was a movie I recall seeing that was about three greedy kings or something. The kings were puppets (akin to Jim Henson’s creature shop, but not by them). It was based off a short story, as I remember it being a story we were reading at the time. I have no idea what it was.

Finally, there was another 70s one. It was another TV movie that freaked me out when I was very little. It was about some stranger who shows up in a trenchcoat(?) and hat. He was silhouetted in the promos, if I recall, and I just remember the commercials for it being very ominous. He comes to a town and terrorizes a household, maybe? like my first entry, I know I saw the promo more than once, but have no idea what it was. Back then, it was ABC, CBS, or NBC, as we just had those, PBS, and probably some UHF channel and I don’t think it would’ve been on either of the latter ones.

All of these were color films, if that helps.

3 Likes