What's your white whale?

Coming up empty on the OP - as I read my first thought was Diablero, but that’s a series. Bloody Mallory is French. I tried to looking though a superhero list that included a lot of hybrids like The Dead One, but found nothing even close to what was being described. String, schoolgirls, demons, Netflix… you’d think that alone would shake something loose in a search engine or list, but nope.

4 Likes

As a very little kid (early 1970s) I was obsessed with a fairy tale anthology (a big hardback from the library) which I recall had odd pre-Keane big-eyed princes and princesses throughout. I think even then it was already old. A lot of the stories were lesser-knowns that I haven’t seen since. With titles like “Queen Cat” and “Dear Deer & Kit.” Some of the trippy imagery has stayed with me for decades. (A magical cherry stone cracks open and unrolls an entire tapestry contained on a single long thread: to entertain a king.) Heh. No wonder I love the Russo-Finnish episodes of MST3K so much. Anyone else seen this?

2 Likes

Thank you for trying. I’ve gone down many rabbit holes trying to figure it out online. Search engines cannot seem to comprehend “demon” without attaching “horror,” and it’s not horror. It’s action, very stylized. Lots of guns. It was non-English, but it doesn’t help that I can’t recall specifically what language. I think Brazilian or Portuguese, but definitely not French.

I describe it as “superhero-ish” because there were a few characters who developed superhero-like abilities, but no one was an actual superhero. The wide story arc was that someone summoned a demon to serve their own ends, and a disparate group came together to find and defeat it, with a subplot that one of them might have latent “angel” abilities that could crush it. The demon was a ratty-cloaked “human,” not really a traditional monster.

My best guess is it was made between 2000 and 2010.

I’ve thought maybe it was Demon Squad or Monster Squad, something like that. “Diablo” is promising, I’ll try variations of that!

3 Likes

Might as well post mine, though I have even fewer details.

All I can remember of it is that the protagonist talks to Jesus. It wasn’t a religious movie, nor was it the main plot, just on occasion, he’d talk to Jesus on the phone. It’s not a new movie, but it’s not an old movie… so that narrows it down to the 70s, 80s and maybe the 90s? I believe it was a drama.

I know, that’s ridiculously slim, but it doesn’t hurt to put it out there.

3 Likes

That’s the one! I knew I had the name off a bit. I read it over and over again. I’m sure it’s quite tattered now but it’s still in the basement somewhere.

4 Likes

I hope someone recognizes this because it sounds amazing :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m beginning to think I dreamt this up but maybe someone here recognizes it:

It might have been a movie or like an episode of The Outer Limits or similar anthology show.

All I remember is there was a guy who ended up on an strange island and at the end he rows away with his love interest but when they get far enough away or when the sun rises she’s turned into a gross corpse because everyone on the island is 100s of years old and if they leave the magic or whatever wears off.

3 Likes

What the hell, I’ll take a shot. Apologies in advance for the scant details…

I recall a movie, that I saw when I was four or five on television, so, circa '71, '72. It might have been a made-for-TV flick. I mostly remember a student - maybe a medical student - who races back to lab to find that his favorite rat has been killed.

I also seem to recall his girlfriend consoling him afterwards.

That’s all I’ve got, but I’ve long wanted to know what it was as I remember being greatly upset by the death of the rat (though I believe it was off-screen).

3 Likes

Was it this one by any chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Book-Fairy-Tales-Classics/dp/030717025X

2 Likes

Thank you! (& “Hello!” :turtle: )

:thinking: It might be. I should scout for a Table of Contents. That would confirm it.

3 Likes

I found one… looks like this is your book.

2 Likes

I have limited information.

I remember it was an animated movie, had a catchy recurring musical theme with different lyrics each time it was sung, and played on The Family Channel in Canada in October or November between 1985 and 1992–the run wasn’t that long, I just remember what house we lived in at the time I saw it. It was a fantasy story involving a male hero on a quest. I’m starting to think it was a Halloween candy induced hallucination. I’ve given up trying to find it myself and have left it to fate–I’m either misremembering it, or will randomly come across it and die happy.

1 Like

Do you no longer have access to the Netflix account that this film was watched on?

Netflix keeps a complete record of what every profile streams and when going back for years.

I can export the full viewing activity for my account or for each profile in the web interface.

3 Likes

I considered this, but unfortunately I don’t; I’ve created new accounts on a couple occasions and no longer have access to the one I think I used for this. But I’m curious, do you know if the viewing history retains items that are no longer on the service? It’s technically simple enough to do, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if removed movies/shows are wiped from viewers’ histories as well.

1 Like

It does keep entries for things that no longer are on Netflix.

I watched a lot of the Tom Baker seasons of the original run of Doctor Who on Netflix in 2010 and it is still in my watch list. I just checked as I knew it wasn’t available anymore.

2 Likes

Maybe this?.. It has a General Marius in it.

3 Likes

Oh holy Bob, I haven’t been to JC’s in I can’t even remember how long. Probably 1990, 1991. When he was still on Hill off Reynolds.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the first two, but the third one seems like it is possibly (without the trenchcoat) Poltergeist II… Reverend Kane has that eerie, like really, REALLY eerie, vibe you describe.

This wasn’t a TV movie, but probably aired on tv, especially around Halloween, and the promos would have focused on the creepy reverend who keeps trying to get invited into the Freeling family home to get to Carol Anne, the young daughter. I could be totally off, but your description DID remind me of this movie.

1 Like

I have got really scanty details on this. It’s a book on the moon (possibly on the solar system), printed probably in the early 1960s, definitely before the moon landing, I’m gonna say geared for elementary school level? I thiiiiink the cover was white, it wasn’t a very thick book, and maybe 8x10. I probably had my hands on it in 1967, 1968, 1969, then-abouts; I didn’t own a copy, it was in the library, definitely in the children’s section.

The only really clear memory I have of it is the page on theories of where the Moon came from, with one of the paintings showing the Earth and Moon kind of splitting like an amoeba (that had been an active theory, that the Pacific Ocean is where the stuff that became the moon came from). Long, long before the Big Splat theory.

4 Likes

Thank you, but I’m sure it was before Poltergeist 2, which I have seen. A great guess, though!

1 Like