When adults hosted kids' shows- Mr. Rogers, Soupy Sales, Captain Kangaroo, Bozo and More!

Agreed. The others were almost variety shows for kids. Maybe that’s why they’ve disappeared- along with the rest of variety shows.

1 Like

I used to be terrified of Rita Moreno yelling “HEY YOU GUUUUUYS!” when I was little.

4 Likes

This was the local kids’ show in Green Bay in the 60s. Colonel Caboose, with his sidekick, Griselda (who I think is supposed to be a dodo). Cartoons, train sets, and I vaguely recall an occasional guest who made stuff out of wood. As in a model steamboat and I swear a full-size, fully operated harpsichord.

As I’m pretty much his age, Joel may well have watched this show too.

2 Likes

He knew why to study industrial arts!

2 Likes

Any of you 90s kids remember the fever dream that was Xuxa (Shoosha)?

5 Likes

I didn’t share any Soupy earlier, so here’s Soupy and White Fang.

3 Likes

My mom eventually took to yelling that when calling us for dinner.

5 Likes

The one shared above didn’t have her yelling, so I looked it up on YouTube and I still got kind of a chill hearing her yell it. It’s deeply imprinted on my psyche!

1 Like

Another TV teacher that help shape my gooey child brain in the 60s was Don Herbert aka Mr. Wizard. Way before Bill Nye, he was showing us that nerding was fun.

6 Likes

Mr. Wizard was the freaking BEST.

3 Likes

leslye1
leslye2
leslye3

Lest we forget, Les —BY GOD— Lye on You Can’t Do That on Television.

8 Likes

The freaking legends, yo.

4 Likes

Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo, Mister Wizard, Bill Nye, Electric Company, all good stuff.

I was not a fan of Mister Rogers. I thought the show rather dull in comparison to the ones listed above.

3 Likes

I loved Mr. Rogers, both because he was kind and because he was calm and quiet. He was like a cool-down after more exciting PBS shows.

5 Likes

it was the same for me. I enjoyed his style.
But my wife said she also found him dull and boring.

2 Likes

When I was an older kid, maybe 12 or 13, I was flipping channels and stopped on Mr. Rogers for a second and he walked off his set to show the kids the camera crew. That would have blown my little mind that it wasn’t a real house. I even thought the little scale model of the neighborhood was a real neighborhood.

Also, Mr. Rogers is so nice, he’s even nice about being pranked.

4 Likes

Any one else remember Pixanne? Apparently it began as a local show in Philadelphia, but became so successful it was syndicated nationally.

4 Likes

It sure looks familiar. And not just because of Tiny Tim

2 Likes

I’ll bet they tiptoed through some tulips.

2 Likes

You’re saying he was a merry man?

1 Like