Where is the manual?

The FAQ on here seems very much… not a FAQ but a list of rules. Is there someplace with instructions as to how this place works and stuff like how to make a user profile or get an avatar?

4 Likes

Click things! Try the top-right icon (your icon). Then there is a bust icon (preferences). Then a cog icon (also preferences). Profile picture is right there, and you should be able to find everything you need.

3 Likes

To be fair, though, “click things” isn’t going to fly if and when these boards are opened up to thousands of people. @AndrewCrossett is right - the FAQ really isn’t a FAQ at all.

3 Likes

I messed something up by “clicking on things”. I dropped my phone and touched some setting while picking it up, and I can no longer see whether a message is a reply to someone else or just a new message (the reply-to arrow with tiny avatar is gone).

Edit: Nevermind. It turns out that it doesn’t show that if the reply is immediately below the original message. I didn’t break anything. I just didn’t understand it.

2 Likes

The replies “stacking” together a little better would be helpful. Especially when someone directly replies to an older comment.

5 Likes

The avatar setting is there now, but it wasn’t before. I guess you have to level up high enough to qualify for it.

3 Likes

@AndrewCrossett have you run through the @discobot 's tutorial yet? If not, I suggest you check your inbox and read and respond to its messages. It’s actually a pretty fun way to get used to how these forums work!

4 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

4 Likes

You’re right. Honestly, I thought I was just helping solve AC’s problem - I didn’t even notice the context of Forums Feedback.

I don’t think I’ve actually been to a web site or forum that instructs you on how to use it, or I’ve never noticed. But I’m sure if us beta testers ask a question frequently enough, the admins will promote it to the FAQ.

4 Likes

Right now we’re relying on @discobot for tutorials – as you advance in your forum use, that account will automatically suggest new tutorials to teach you new stuff. I was dubious about it at first but honestly it’s a pretty great little gadget.

We will eventually be including some basic guidelines on editing your profile, but we are also investigating ways to make the profiles more intuitive to start with! So that situation may change as things progress.

6 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

I second this. It’s kind of confusing to have all posts displayed in a linear fashion. If there can’t be an indented/nested hierarchy to indicate replies, maybe at least have a reply begin with a snippet of the post being replied to, like XenForo does.

I know you can pop open the earlier post when reading a reply, but it’s not very intuitive.

4 Likes

It is! A little goofy but also pretty effective – it taught me a lot. Maybe there’s a way to make it more prominent for new users? Something to the effect of, “Hey, seriously, take this tutorial!” I suspect it would go a long way toward heading off repeated common questions down the road.

6 Likes

I’m embarrassed to say that I successfully completed the advanced tutorial, but I simply cannot complete the basic tutorial. Autobot tells me to use the … icon to bookmark my post, but I am unable to locate the … icon.

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is.

P.S. If I do locate the … icon, clicking on it only allows gives me a trashcan icon. I don’t want to delete my post! I want to bookmark it!

Forget the manual - where’s the automatic?
Go Fast GIF

1 Like

Luckily, the discobot allowed me to skip that step. I have now completed both tutorials.

2 Likes

The Doctor threw the manual into a Black Hole. It annoyed him.