Which Hercules Movie Is the Best MST Episode?

Of all the Herc episodes of MST, which one do you enjoy the most?

• Hercules Unchained
  • Hercules Against the Moon Men
  • Hercules and the Captive Women
  • Hercules
  • The Loves of Hercules

0 voters

And please … no getting cute and claiming “Well, that isn’t REALLY Hercules … its someone entirely different named Maciste that people only think is Hercules…” Nope. A historical geography book referred to a temple near the river Asticon built to “Macistian Heracles” … which was a reference to Hercules being near the town of Makistios. This was became basically one of Hercules’ nick-names along the lines of “Conan the Cimmerian”. Gabrielle d’Annunzio who was the writer for the 1914 movie “Cabiria” gave the main character the name “Maciste”, believing it was the surname of Hercules. So yes - the character in all these movies is Hercules … not “Maciste”, who as some different person never existed.

5 Likes

Cat Kitten GIF by Demic

11 Likes

Who, as we all know, fought the Moon Men. As he should.

4 Likes

Hercules and the Captive Women.

Because-

6 Likes

For the longest time, my answer used to be Hercules Unchained. Just a spectacular episode, all in all.

But once Season 11 rolled around? It’s gotta be The Loves of Hercules. Team Jonah hit it out of the park there with terrific riffs and great host segments (and Waverly enters the scene!).

That being said, there’s isn’t a Hercules episode I -wouldn’t- want to watch. They all make for genuinely fun riffing fodder. It’s an entertaining genre that gives the writing team plenty to work with, and they capitalize beautifully on that.

That goes for the Hercules-adjacent episode, Colossus and the Headhunters!

6 Likes

Agreed completely!

Also agree completely!

And to add my own material to it, The Loves of Hercules on top of being a fantastic episode, gives serious eye candy to pretty much anyone who isn’t asexual; I think few wouldn’t have wanted to accompany the Mansfield-Hargitay honeymoon.

4 Likes

My favorite is Hercules against the Moon Men. Something about it just works so well for me and I love watching it.

However, that being said, I love all the sword and sandal movies they riffed. It’s just a genre that I think fits very well with the riffing because when the movies take themselves seriously, there’s an edge of silliness that can so easily be brought out.

7 Likes

For your consideration…

8 Likes

Love 'em all, but voted Moon Men for the sand-turated WTFery.

(And honestly, I would’ve accepted Adventures Of Cheesesteak as part of this poll, too.)

5 Likes

I love them all, but would like to vote for whichever one has the Uranus jokes…

4 Likes

That would be Hercules and the Captive Women with Reg Park as Herc!

6 Likes

And of course that one also has Ettori Mani’s great gams, and that priest who looks like he looted the dressing room of an Earth, Wind, and Fire concert. :love_letter: (Oh, and all the Herc-Hylas father-son jokes.)

5 Likes

I need another option:
( _) I have never been, and will never be, able to remember which of these is which

It’s not entirely true, I do know that The Loves of Hercules is the new one, but the rest? It’s all moon monsters and sandstorms and togas and the big hinged thing with spikes and I don’t know what.

9 Likes

Well, with the exception of the togas, all the things you mentioned are in Herc and the Moon Men. (Well, I suppose there was a toga or two in that one as well.)

Hercules —> Meets and falls in love with Iole. The whole golden fleece deal.

Hercules Unchained —> Waters of forgetfulness and Omphale. Plus, a dash of Oedipus and his sons duking it out to rule Thebes.

Hercules vs. Moon Men —> Titular Moon men (or rather just one; we never see more than that, unless the rock people count), SANDSTORM, queen betraying her people to the Moon Men in exchange for power

Hercules and the Captive Women —> Androcles as king of Thebes, Herc’s son Hylas, and the trip to Atlantis which is dedicated to Uranus.

Loves of Hercules —> Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay really trying his best (and failing but I absolutely give him an E for effort). Nothing else really matters besides those two.

(And Colossus vs. the Headhunters has my cheesesteak and the interminable chicken dance.)

9 Likes

Moon Men. You’ve got Joel giving the Bots muscles, DEEP HURTING, Freak Out (and SUPER FREAK OUT) and, of course, The Pants Song. The American Pant Association recommends you wear your pants at least three times a day!

3 Likes

Bah, almost none of you understand why Gypsy in the theater makes Hercules and the Captive Women the best Hercules episode.

1 Like

A subtle dig at Jim Mallon which has become funnier in hindsight?

1 Like

No, I mean it!

1 Like

No, I was hypothesizing that that was the reason why.

2 Likes

In the extras for that episode, they explain that having her in the theater was always difficult because of her size. Now that’s not an issue anymore. :partying_face:

2 Likes