Which MST movie had the thinnest plot? (Poll open!)

Not even enough of a plot to shake a stick at.

3 Likes

First post updated with the promised poll. 10 options on the board. Have at it.

(Should I have said “spear” instead of “stick” directly above, or would that have been too obvious?)

1 Like

I chose The Beast of Yucca Flats, although The Starfighters and Monster A-Go-Go are also strong choices.
Most of the others actually do have a plot, lame as it might be. Why in the world is Hamlet one of the choices? Is someone actually claiming Hamlet doesn’t have a plot?

2 Likes

Yes. One of the mods, even. Scroll up a few posts. :wink:

2 Likes

simpsonshomerdisappears

2 Likes

Codename Diamondhead?!? That had a plot, admittedly a 70s TV plot, and even if it didn’t, the presence of Ian McShane distracts you from that.

3 Likes

I agree. But it was clearly nominated, so I’m giving it a chance. Maybe others see it differently than I do.

2 Likes

I think the Hamlet nomination was a joke.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I liked it, so I included it on the same terms.

That said… The version of Hamlet we saw was so dreary and plodding that it really is hard to find a plot. And MST3K only showed about half of the total original runtime, IIRC.

3 Likes

Yes, it is a framing device.

1 Like

To be fair, when people talk about how great Shakespeare was, they usually talk about the dialogue rather than the plotting.

THIS is an accurate summary of Hamlet.

“I suspect my uncle killed my father. Now, I COULD conduct an investigation, gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses to collect enough proof, OR I could put on a play that’s SO GOOD he’ll be moved to confess! I’ma do the second one.”

2 Likes

I gotta go with Monster a-Go Go for the plot’s complete Blue Screen of Death at the end.

4 Likes

Wait… Hamlet? HAMLET?! Yeah, Starchy Pork-filled German Hamlet sure moves slow, but it’s PILED with plot! (But then again I’m a former Theatre major who loves Shakespeare and Maximilian Schell, so I’m slightly biased.)

2 Likes

At least Invasion of the Neptune Men had Sonny Chiba; Starfighters has Bob Dornan. [SHUDDER]

1 Like

I’d go with “The Starfighters” myself. That extra-long mid-air refueling scene at the beginning…

4 Likes

Again, the ONLY correct answer is Code Name: Diamond Head.

It’s the only film to star Roy Thinnes, therefore it has the “Thinnest” plot.

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

6 Likes

I would have loved to be a fly in the wall of the run-down theater which “Monster A Go-Go” first premiered. Just so I could see the reaction of the audience to the ending. Then since I’m a fly, I will gobble a popcorn kernel that landed on the stage.
fly plotting GIF

5 Likes

When I heard the organ on General Hospital, I wondered when the game was going to start?

6 Likes

Somebody should really mention Racket Girls. Okay, fine I’ll do it.

5 Likes

Not only does The Starfighters fail in terms of plot, but it is a failure in its main job of advertising Starfighters. A little bad weather and one of the planes crashes. They were advertising that the planes were pilot killers.

8 Likes