Who Hasn't Seen The Wire?

There are so many of those books it’s hard to know where to start. I ended up just starting with the books for the various miniseries that have been made since that was where I learned of Discworld, then read a few more, but then just kind of stopped.

1 Like

Well, one major character did meet his end in such a position.

3 Likes

I’ll take your word for it.

1 Like

I think that’s true of me too.

2 Likes

Do at least the pilot. That’s probably what most people reference about the show: “You’ll get there!” I can’t remember, but they might have clipped that bit for use in future episodes’ introductions.

Brief glimpse of Charlie Sheen, whole lot of Michael Parks, and Bonnie Bedalia is a standout as Bronson’s somewhat dull-witted companion. More or less a TV movie, as it seems many of those pilot episodes of that era tended to be, I guess.

The rest of the series I found amusing, but each show was virtually identical. Bronson just goes around helping people and stuff with some idiotic caper, usually involving motorcycles and brawn. Helping a boy and his donkey win a motocross race, for charity, and stuff like that

2 Likes

Almost exclusively. And when it’s not (as in Cronenberg or, ugh, Out of Africa) it’s highly uncomfortable to watch.

It’s coming. Bridesmaids was just the opening salvo.

So…Wild Quantum Rebel Leapers?

3 Likes

The Second Hundred Years isn’t streaming anywhere that I can find, or I would have watched that one already.

2 Likes

This thread seems like the perfect place for this.

NOTE: Nobody in this thread seems to need this reminder, but it still fits and I can introduce it to other people!

3 Likes

I’ll add the obvious that it’s okay to like things as well.

Perhaps the key is: It’s okay to disagree on what is likable and unlikable.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a bit afraid of the mods coming to close this with how often it veers towards “I don’t like the way things are now” and such.

2 Likes

I hope not!

Even though I don’t agree with everyone here (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DID!) it’s been interesting to get the perspectives from people.

I mean, I’ve been hearing for years that people are tuning out TV but I haven’t met a lot of them.

2 Likes

Well it was pretty funny when Jeff Daniels did it

1 Like

For most of these shows, it’s not that I think they’d be terrible. I’ve seen a little of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. It’s easy to understand why people get enthused about them. I just can’t afford to watch so many things and be “married” to a show for half a dozen seasons, if I expect to get any of my own creative things done.

3 Likes

Right? I mean, we’ve been watching “What We Do In The Shadows” as a family and it’s delightful but I still would not have watched it if my youngest didn’t insist. (We’ve tried watching other shows and I’m quickly left behind.)

3 Likes

Hi, that would be me.

2 Likes

How did you feel about the old Bob Newhart Show, wherein he was a psychologist?

2 Likes

The last time I watched and enjoyed any of those was 5-10 years ago. But I would watch them again. I was never trying to imply that these are awful shows with awful acting, etc. It’s more like: you acquire many degrees from various Schools Of Hard Knocks as you age. And often the result is that what used to be escapism is not escape-y anymore. :confused:

4 Likes

I’ve had more combat vets tell me they can’t play a game like “Doom”…

2 Likes

Based on your description, we started watching this the other day. Only a couple episodes in, but it is definitely a lot of fun!!

3 Likes

Canadian Pat is my new best friend.

1 Like