Who would like to see a spinoff?

I’d like to see an mst3k spinoff where they riff bad tv shows. They could stick to shows that were cancelled days after airing. Who else thinks this would be a great spinoff?

:v::gear::rocket:

9 Likes

Well, they have riffed TV shows in the past. That’s what Mighty Jack, Time of the Apes, Fugitive Alien, Stranded in Space, Master Ninja all were. Clearly, it can work. I wonder if getting the rights would be easier or harder.

4 Likes

MST did this. Master Ninja I and II are episodes of an 80s show called The Master that was cancelled after 13 episodes. There are a few others out there as well.

It also may be more difficult to get old TV shows, not just from a rights standpoint, but the actual episodes. TV was filmed on videotape for the longest time, not media known for its longevity. And while there may be a dozen or so prints made even for a bad movie and studios tend to save even the bad ones, TV has always been seen as more disposable.

1 Like

They can get episodes from You Tube, get a list and decide which are the worst. This includes unsold pilots

2 Likes

the episodes still need to be watchable, though. Video quality that can only be seen in something the size of a postage stamp isn’t going to work.

1 Like

Don’t forget Riding with Death!

9 Likes

I knew I was missing one!

3 Likes

TV shows have a longer life than movies. You would have to go back to the black and white days to get a significant number I think.
Though I’d like to see them riff Flying High.

1 Like

Riding with Death hasn’t popped up on the Twitch channel and doesn’t get talked about much. It isn’t on the list of shows MST3K lost the rights to so what is up?

1 Like

It’s like it’s as elusive as Robert Denby!
Seriously, I have no idea. It’s a favorite of mine, and my best friend and I love quoting it.

4 Likes

I’d like to see a spin off of the show. But riffing what? TV Shows, video games, still movies? Who knows?

Maybe instead of a satellite, it could be a space base on another planet. Should we still have robots or other worldly creatures?

3 Likes

Soaps are a riffing gold mine.

3 Likes

There is no such thing as a spinoff these days. Instead of having a new show with different people, like the old days, these days they just change the original show and keep the name.

1 Like

There’s plenty of failed tv pilots they can riff at least.

1 Like

I feel that’s trolling a little deep. The movies they riff in the show at least get released. Failed pilots don’t get picked up for a reason and should perhaps stay buried, out of respect for the deceased.

2 Likes

They could just focus on the ones that did get a release, but ultimately did not become full shows.

2 Likes

That’s fair. I would like to see that.

3 Likes

If I understand/remember correctly, I believe that in the closing chapter of the Comedy Central era, the network wanted MST3K to riff on episodes of TV shows so that MST3K didn’t take up two-hour blocks of scheduling time.

2 Likes

Sometimes, a studio will sign someone to a development deal merely so that nobody else can. Then they’ll be required to go through the motions and they’ll produce pilots that they never intend to pick up.

1 Like

Is it obvious that I don’t know much about the TV industry? Apologies. They didn’t touch the topic on the Warner Brothers Studio tour I went on before covid. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like