Who would like to see a spinoff?

I would consider the upcoming shorts they’re going to do alongside this season to be a spin-off, or at least a brand extension.

2 Likes

You could probably consider Cinematic Titanic and The Film Crew to be spinoffs, I suppose, since the actors went and did riffery shows using their own names. But, traditionally, a spinoff requires something like one of the characters leaving the original show and starting up in a new one. For example, Cheers spinoffed The Tortellis.

4 Likes

Growler, P.I.

A gritty detective series where Growler solves mysteries on the SOL, complete with a film noir voiceover.

4 Likes

I’m torn. I cannot stand soaps. Can’t do it. But I enjoyed the General Hospital shorts just fine. Maybe “vintage” stuff before they just gave up trying and went full on… whatever it is now?

4 Likes

Believe it or not, but what you see in the GH short they did is no different than what you’ll see in GH now.

2 Likes

I’m right there with you. I think riffing is the only way to make them tolerable for me.

3 Likes

Do they still score it with a hockey-rink organ? Because that part does rule.

2 Likes

I love that idea.

2 Likes

Will Tom Servo be his blonde bombshell secretary?

2 Likes

I was thinking GPC as the blonde bombshell secretary, with Servo as the no-nonsense lieutenant he keeps running into on jobs and butting heads with.

And you KNOW Waverly has to be his down-with-the-streets informant.

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley: Growler could make one of those old-timey noir investigator hats work for him!

2 Likes

Yeah. I made the mistake of looking up the history of fictional Dr. Phil (aka super-skull-stud) and… wow. His Olympic-level unlikeable-ness is barely hinted at in the segments we saw.

1 Like

One of my favorite episodes Stacy! New England journalists!!!

3 Likes

Gizmonic Institute as a workplace sitcom.

5 Likes

“I DON’T WANT THE MEATZZA-TREATZZA-RATTI”

[bell ring] “CLAYTON!! CLAAYYTON!!”

3 Likes

Heck, at least 3 of the actors in the shorts were still on GH in the late 80s.

3 Likes

Maybe a spin off that takes place after the Mike era but before Jonah’s. Would be riffing comics like the previous collection or TV shows/shorts.

The Crow from Time Chasers goes back into space along with a spare Tom Servo that hasn’t exploded yet.

2 Likes

I always felt like The Film Crew was Mike after escaping the SOL. He gets a job doing DVD commentary with Kevin and Bill and then goes home to Servo and Crow, unsure of why it feels like he’s always hanging out with the same people all day long.

5 Likes

We could give Mister Honcho some secret backstory like maybe he was a big wig at Gizmonics and knew all about the experiments and so when Mike escaped, he thought he’d save his fledgling DVD marketing side project. And, maybe that ties into CT somehow since the idea is basically the same, except with electron scaffolding and nanotated discs instead of DVD’s.

3 Likes

And make GPC the actual the brains of the operation, à la Remington Steele.

2 Likes