Who's Ready to get into shape in '22?!

I’m going to look like Ator this year. Who’s with me?!
Lockdown led to the best shape I’ve ever been in but life (injury, long work hours, holiday food) gets in the way. Time to double-down and crush this new year like Christopher Reeve holding a lump of coal.
Not a resolution, really- a way of life, so who wants to get ripped or lean or just be healthier? What do you do to stay healthy and what’s your workout of choice? What’s your goals and plans? Any advice needed or advice to give?

9 Likes

Somewhat. Not really a New Year resolution, more of an ongoing thing. I could lose twenty pounds, and should.

My job is pretty intense physically, but regardless, I’ve been procrastinating doing pushups at home, which I’ve always liked (doing pushups, not procrastinating!). Before work, not after is the only way I can see that happening.

I do resolve that in this year, I’ll be able to do one-armed pushups, get back to a hundred regular ones, and finally be able to do at least one pull-up/chin-up. Don’t judge me! Pull-ups are hard! I just have to work on it.

5 Likes

I envy you if you can do a one-armed pushup! I tried a couple times and I don’t see that in my future😅
I’m good on pull-ups and the key is just to keep trying because even if you can’t do one, the attempt is strengthening you💪🏼
100 pushups would be awesome! People, don’t let that intimidate you! I do 6 in 3 different positions only for 18 total (same for pull-ups) and that has worked wonders :+1:t2:

You’re awesome and this is your year!:fist_right:t3::boom::fist_left:t3:

4 Likes

Well, I don’t want to look like Ator, but last year I had a goal of riding my bike to my sisters’ house (23 miles). I was ready to get going when I got sick and all the smoke in the air kept me from getting it done. So it’s going to be my goal again this year.

5 Likes

Some of us already look like Ator…the bulging biceps, the rippling pecs, the washboard abs - I would find one of those people and ask them how they do it.

(I bet it’s exhausting)

4 Likes

Pull-ups are impossible! When I got a trainer to help with my chronic pain he asked me to set a goal. My goal was one pull-up (or chin-up, don’t care). Five years working with a trainer weekly (plus solo gym work) and I never got anywhere close to success. I did get a lot stronger, but I’m pretty sure those things violate the laws of physics.

6 Likes

In 2017 I lost 100 lb. In 2018 I gained 20 and was never able to lose it. In 2020 and 2021 I pretty much gained it all back. Of course now with other health issues I can’t just do the diet that I did last time. So I’m actively searching for some way to be able to lose the weight again. The key to it all is having enough energy to be able to exercise in the morning before work and having the right kinds of foods available so that I’m not eating too many calories during the day. Good luck everyone and be well. :v::heart::pray:

6 Likes

For me personally what I discovered about pull-ups and Chin ops was that I had to weigh somewhere around 130 lb to be able to do them. Heavier than that and I could never do them. But when my weight was at its lowest I could do almost 10 chin ups in a set. :v::heart::pray:

5 Likes

Biking is great! It’s a workout plus sightseeing. I would stop a lot to take nature photos. You got this! :fist_right:t3::boom::fist_left:t3:

4 Likes

I don’t know how the Ninja Warrior contestants can last so long basically only using the upper body! The Salmon Ladder alone would end me. I could probably do two steps and that would be the end of my run😪

1 Like

I have to not get bored because then I’ll eat for no good reason. :shushing_face:My secret weapon is a recumbent exercise bike- I can sit back and read while listening to music and even do a little writing while still peddling away at a good resistance level. One hour of cardio goes by in no time! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Well, I’m mostly riding around fields, but I did get some nice pics last year. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There’s a huge difference between being active and working out. I love the former, hate the latter. I cycle, run, hike, do yoga, strength train, and dance. I do not own a scale and I’ve finally internalized that a size XXL and a size M can be exactly the same. Took me a looooong time to get to that point.

So I’m just going to stay active as much as possible and we’ll see what happens! (I’ve got an overseas race coming up this year, hopefully!)

6 Likes

More yoga would be cool. I really need more floor space and a more updated manual, though. Have my eye on one especially geared to fat folks who aren’t interested in diet sh*t. I need to see if the library has a copy.

Also, frankly I think it’s folly to tie a life plan to the season where it’s dark and gloomy all the time. Talk about setting oneself up to fail. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Spring or Fall would be better for that, if “official” resolutions were really my thing, which they’re not.

Diets don’t work in a significant way, long-term, for most. In fact, repeated dieting aka Weight Cycling tends to make most people heavier over the long term. So I’m very picky about where I get my health-related advice. But the ASDAH blog is good. I just wish they updated more often.

4 Likes

Same here. For much of last year by following a 5-days-no-alcohol per week diet (you know, maybe not every week, but at least three days a week), I dropped twenty pounds like it was a red-headed child. So that’s good, and clearly I should go back to logging consumption on the calendar.

However, socializing at “the bar” became rewarding, as pretty much my only RL socialization outside of work, and, while I tend to not drink at home regularly, it just becomes boring after a while without self-inducing some fits of irregularity.

I think in Kant’s Anthropologie (his most entertaining book, if not the most influential) Kant suggests that pipe smoking is a symptom of boredom.

Speaking of that, I smoke too many cigarettes, after more than a few years of smoking only pipes and pipe tobacco. In the car or at work, cigarettes are convenient, but I miss the amount of control one has with a briar pipe and some OK tobacco. So, I should get back to limiting cigarettes for only in the car, and drinking only at “the bar.” I can have water and smoke a bowl of some nice tobacco at home.

The alcohol expense won’t save me any money, but I’m buying comradery, some games of pool, and all that. And smoking a pipe is much cheaper than cigarettes, which is something a reasonable person would consider. Also, doesn’t stain the fingers as much.

So, I’ll do that! Gymkata!

And, yes, once I get over the fear of pulling down my over-the-lintel pull-up system resulting in a massive head wound, I’ll just go for reverse pull-ups: start at the top of the bar, and lower oneself down in a controlled manner. Somewhat the same muscles, I’d guess.

3 Likes

I guess I’m boned then, I haven’t seen the other side of 130 since high school :grin:

3 Likes

I have a yoga DVD that I really enjoy. It’s called Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. I don’t think it actually helps me lose weight, but I enjoy the routine. Plus, there are four instructors, each one modifying the routine for various skill (and flexibility) levels. I stopped doing yoga for a while but I’ve started up again.

4 Likes
4 Likes

You’re definitely right about the difference- if someone can just not stay sedentary, that’s a huge help. It’s hard if you have an office job or sit all day for work. Being active gives you exercise and enjoyment.
When Ator was hang-gliding and bombing that castle, he wasn’t working out but was very active!

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right about formal dieting- almost everyone will fail in the long run. Overthinking it will kill your willpower. I just keep things low-fat and drink 0 calorie stuff (except for a beer most days). I pack a lunch but other than that, when I’m out, I don’t worry about it.
It is cold and dark now and it would be hard to be motivated if I had to leave to exercise. It’s a little apartment but I made room for a recumbent bike and a couple free-weights; that plus the pull-up bar in the closet I use on the door frame, and I crank up some Rock and get it done :slightly_smiling_face:
I admire those who can do yoga;:+1:t2:I’m not limber enough to do much of that and would have to really commit to get stretchy.

1 Like