"Why don't you make me up a sign saying See the Amazing Colossal Man?" MST3K title drops

I’m okay as long as I’m not playing by “drink every time an obsolete video game console or defunct video game company is mentioned” rules.

3 Likes

Okay, to steer things back on topic, I’ll try to come up with a number 2…

Tom as Fingal: “Hey, do you mind if I borrow your thoughts for a minute, I’m OVERDRAWN AT THE MEMORY BANK!”

5 Likes

It’s sort of surprising how many experiments don’t say the title.

You would expect if from, for example Radar Secret Service and Giant Gila Monster but they never say those things in the movies.

6 Likes

Kinda funny, Japanese monster movies will name drop the monsters all the time, but Americans won’t, almost like they want to pretend it isn’t there. Guess the ending to Monster A Go-Go affected things more than we thought?

4 Likes

Which is surprising, yeah! We get THIS close to a title drop with The Giant Gila Monster in the opening narration (and I honestly thought they had one when I created this thread), but nah, not so much: “… how large the dreaded gila monster grows… no man can say.”

3 Likes

“Would you say GIANT Gila-Monster, Mr. Narrator?”
“No…no I would not! Do not put words in my mouth!”

6 Likes

What doesn’t help with title namedrops are when new titles are made up for movies redistributed by other companies (The Eye Creatures, OK Connery, Angel’s Brigade, Night Train to Mundo Fine). Same with the case of TV movies from repackaged episodes:

Crow: “Hai, ah’m Max Kellah, and my fwiend John Petah McAllistah is a Master Ninja!”
And for the sequel:
Crow: “Hi, ah’m Max Kellah, and ah’m a Master Ninja, too!”

6 Likes

Codename Diamond Head ALMOST got a perfect title drop:

“Aunt Mary”: “If you know about Tree, Tree knows about Diamond Head, your Code Name!”

For a TV pilot attempting to sell a show, it needed more namedrops.

5 Likes

And then there’s the scene from Evil Within 2.

1 Like

For Avalanche:

“AVALAAAAAAAANCHE! AAAAAAAAA…”

6 Likes

Let’s not forget “WILDERNEESSS!!!”

6 Likes

My favorite is actually not a direct hit and not a MST movie. It’s from the 1940 Olivier/Garson Pride and Prejudice:

At this moment it’s difficult to believe that you’re so proud.
At this moment it’s difficult to believe that you’re so prejudiced.

I just imagine it going down like this:

“Look, fellas, we gotta get this picture in under 2 hours. The exhibitors hate it when they can’t do six shows a day! And what’s this business about the title? It’s not in the movie at all!”

8 Likes

TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000!

Summary
4 Likes

Well, Abner, I wouldn’t go with you to the barn dance even if’n you drug me with a giant gila monster.

The only thing gonna keep me from that church revival would be some kind of giant spider invasion from outer space.

6 Likes

“Hello everyone…my name is Michael Landon and I…was a teenage werewolf!”

5 Likes

“Hello, I’m Peter Graves. Tonight on Biography, the Beginning of the End. I’m Peter Graves.”

5 Likes

Lea Janson: “Well if they’ve broken Intergalactic Law, that’s mutiny!”

Mike: “SPACE Mutiny!”

Works as a call back to her demanding to be called doctor (DOCTOR LADY!), and pointing out they used “Space” as a lazy modifier (Space Dust, Space Bitch) yet didn’t do it here when the title drop was perfectly set.

7 Likes

Those who hunt by night will tell you that the wildest and most vicious of all animals is the tiny shrew. In March, first in Alaska and then invading steadily southward, there were reports of a new species, the giant killer shrew.

4 Likes

Doesn’t count. The movie’s name is The Killer Shrews. But it’s very close.

2 Likes

In The Incredible Melting Man, the decidely not-incredible Dr. Ted Nelson comments along the line of “It’s incredible, he seems to be getting stronger as he melts”, which pretty much encases the movie title.

There’s a similar justification for the title Atom Age Vampire in the Rifftrax catalog, in which the doctor says that the killer is like “a vampire of the atom age”, which is a complete stretch and only occurs because the movie is dubbed and the dubbers could force it in.

4 Likes