Why write the whole season up front?

Another word: Cast

Seems like everyone on this project has a bunch of irons in the fire, and they probably need to get their work done in a small window of time. Back in the day MST3K was everyone’s JOB. They didn’t have any competition for the weeks and weeks they spent on it.

But in general I agree with the premise. One thing that comes to mind is that callbacks need time to develop.

11 Likes

Honestly, I’m amazed Patton has time for MST3K. He’s got two sitcoms he’s on, he tours as a standup and he’s one of Hollywood’s top script doctors. I’m glad he’s making time for it and I am guessing that’s because he really loves it.

20 Likes

I think because it’s an efficient use of time and energy and sets them up for a more efficient pre-production and production time when they produce things in a block like this. If you have everything written and more or less locked before then you can order sets, costumes, props and help schedule a time for when your talent is available for production. It also keeps the budget down because then you’re not using union labor and renting space and cameras any longer than you need to.

In the beforetimes, Best Brains produced their shows like they did because they could. Their studio was also their office, so they didn’t have to rent out a soundstage to do it and the cost of labor was lower as it wasn’t a union shop back then.

TLDR; everything has changed because the best and most efficient way to produce the show has changed. Without unlimited funds, you have to stretch your dollar when you can and this is one way to make sure that happens.

6 Likes

Cmon “wealthy billionaire bankrolls MST forever, while exerting zero creative control over the show, allowing it to run forever” !!!

10 Likes

You’ll never get all this in one person, or place. :confused:

2 Likes

So all we have to do is collectively buy enough powerball tickets to fund the show forever. Got it!

6 Likes

And yet it’s still cheaper for us to put a whole cast and crew on the Moon than it is for billionaires to reach to upper atmosphere.

8 Likes

I wonder if the Dread Pirate Bezos is a MSTie? :thinking:

3 Likes

Not gonna lie. I’ve had this fantasy before. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Uh… I really have to fix the roof, the foundation, get a couple of porches, a catio, and uh… other things. Sorry. :o

3 Likes

I have to add on two more houses to my house, and then also get a house for my dog…

4 Likes

Our house is a very, very, very fine house with two cats in the yard. Life used to be so hard.

What I’m saying is I’m not going to be doing any remodeling.

6 Likes

Great song. And I don’t want to do ANY remodeling. I would be happy with a slightly larger TV, a new couch, and I wouldn’t say no to a nice new bookshelf/dvd cabinet.

2 Likes

I’m not remodeling.

I’m re-unmolding. (Blecchh. Roof leaks are the worst unless you enjoy nightly allergy attacks. Then I’m sure they’re real fun.)

2 Likes

TIL a “catio” is a real thing! :cat:

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to NOT hearing about Netflix every episode. I feel that and the premise of The Gauntlet were the most obvious examples of network influence. When did we ever hear Comedy Channel/Central or SciFi namedropped in the classic episodes?

As far as writing the whole season ahead of time, I think others have pretty much nailed it. This isn’t a full-time job for the writers or cast. They’re fitting this in amongst other projects, as well as a live tour. They should be able to streamline their filming and studio time by having the scripts all ready to go.

5 Likes

Aw man… Honestly, I think I’m one of the only people here who actually liked The Gauntlet.

9 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

I had no objection to the concept, even though I rarely binge-watch anything because I end up failing to remember 95% of what I just saw.

Nobody can force anyone to do the whole thing in one go, after all.

I was more irritated by the season really being only half a season, and the loss of credits (which always provide prime riffing fodder in and of themselves).

7 Likes

As someone who sometimes goes on “End Credits Riffs” kicks, I would agree.

TUSK!

7 Likes