Wildlife Pictures

I love seeing the occasional cecropia or luna moth. It’s been a long time!

2 Likes

Froggy Friend I met today. Pacific Chorus Frog.

11 Likes

I have been unsuccessful so far in my attempts to get a decent photo of the raptors squawking and swooping in and around my backyard from dawn to dusk. There is a breeding pair of red-shouldered hawks which nest somewhere nearby each spring, and the whole family is out there now as the youngsters learn how to hawk.

4 Likes

The June bug grubs are out again…

9 Likes

Beautiful photo even if it pushes my Squeamish Button pretty hard :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, I know. Still photos are bad enough, but it’s much worse when it’s moving…

6 Likes

Found this guy on the side of my house…

I’ve never seen a bug like this before.

6 Likes

Apparently it’s a plume moth. Hellinsia homodactyla

3 Likes

Cool! From insectidentification.org:
“A Plume Moth’s narrow body and tightly collapsed wings create a unique ‘T’ shape. When spread, the wings have the appearance of a bird’s plume of feathers and when at rest, the moth rolls both wings into a rod shape. It makes for an unusual profile. When perched, the moth almost resembles a vintage propeller airplane.”

3 Likes

Yes, plume moths are readily identified by their wing shape. An example is the Artichoke Plume Moth (Platyptilia carduidactyla) that we have here in my area.

4 Likes

Bee-kaboo!

11 Likes

That bee does an awesome Megalon impression.

2 Likes

Had this pretty baby in my yard this afternoon when I was watering my plants. I put a big bowl of water out for her just in case because it’s really hot here in Connecticut today.

12 Likes

The wildlife gods must have heard my unspoken plea for more owls, because I saw this guy just chillin’ by the road while I was out for my walk this evening:

It actually let me get kinda close too-

Hoot hoot

11 Likes

Such a handsome owl! I believe it’s a Barred Owl (Strix varia). That’s the one I see in the daytime around here, at least.

4 Likes

I had never seen baby Hummingbirds before, caught these two in their nest!

13 Likes

I found this photo I took of a toad in our backyard some years ago; I think I’ll make it my next linocut subject.

12 Likes

I got an oriole feeder this year after having a few come through the last few years. I must be doing something right, because a flock of them (I had seven on my deck this morning at once) have been enjoying my endless grape jelly buffet all summer. They also let me know when it’s empty: one lands on my window hummingbird feeder (a couple feet from my desk) and stares through the window at me. :flushed:

13 Likes

So jealous! That’s an oriole bounty!

4 Likes

Are they still around? I just looked Orioles up, wondering if we are in their summer range, and it mentioned they start migrating south as soon as July. You might have some loyal fans waiting to migrate until the last minute.

2 Likes