Wildlife Pictures

Bison at my uncle’s farm last weekend. They are not friendly

3 Likes

Antelope Island, Utah

7 Likes

There was a blind bison named Helen at a farm in Oregon. My sister would see her on the way to a U-pick berry farm nearby.

2 Likes

At my old house, we always had quail. The new house just has doves. They’re nice enough but they don’t have a festive little headdress like this handsome chap

7 Likes

We had quail at my old house, too. They were very skittish, which I attributed to them being delicious.

1 Like

Found a better shot of Dad Quail – he’s on the roof acting as lookout while the kids play in the yard:

a male quail on the roof

and the kids – hard to get a good shot of these little guys but they’re like popcorn shrimp with legs

and here they are with Mom

Bonus pic: I’M A DINOSAUR, RAWRRRR

13 Likes

Exactly the sort of talk that makes them so skittish!

7 Small Fictional Products That Become Big Problems | Tor.com

2 Likes

On my way up the hill today (see nature photography thread) I bumped into some deer grazing on the path.

Saw a couple more in a field on the way back.
P1030560

There’s a small nature reserve nearby and I was just overlooking the pond when a family of ducks waddled out and came to say hello.

And then they waddled away again when they realised I didn’t have any food for them lol.

14 Likes

This isn’t the best picture, but I spotted this piebald deer on my evening walk.

14 Likes

Found this one while digging through my landscape pix. A coyote walking down the road just inside Rocky Mountain National Park. Taken 2004.

Now the coyote has his head tilted back, howling

11 Likes

Kitty!

2 Likes

Found this guy on the side of a building yesterday.

8 Likes

This goldfinch has been taking advantage of my sunflowers.

10 Likes

Met this little guy in Big Basin State Park, 2005

9 Likes

But I gots mating mantises on my paneses.

8 Likes

Oh. Bummer, dude.

2 Likes

This handsome chap was visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium in September of 2006.

And this lass is a permanent resident of same.

NB: I have no idea what sex seagulls or sea anemones are

6 Likes

One of our local gulls. They can be pretty aggressive and will try and steal food out of your hand if you’re not paying attention. One nipped my finger outside a McDonalds trying to get my burger (fat chance of that lol). Many towns have signs up instructing people not to feed them.

Not the best quality photos but here’s a couple of Charlize the Heron. Back where I used to work there was a river that ran outside the back and they would sometimes sit on the railing overlooking it. They were pretty chilled as they could literally sit in one spot for pretty much the whole day without moving. Most herons I’ve seen are pretty skittish and are easily scared off but this one didn’t seem to bother about people watching.

3 Likes

Years ago one of my sister’s old boyfriends learned why you do not take a box of doughnuts to the beach. It’s because the seagulls will dive-bomb you.

I also have a heron friend but we call her Stacey. (I love “Charlize the Heron” :laughing: )
I got this slightly blurry pic of her taking off:

3 Likes