Will Gizmoplex have live streaming?

I’m watching the MST3K twitch channel and started wondering if Gizmoplex would have a streaming channel similar to twitch.

3 Likes

Right out of the box? Probably not.

There are plans for live steaming events when each episode premieres, but I think the idea is more you can watch whatever you own, or want to rent, when you want, and aren’t beholden to whatever the team feels like airing that day.

3 Likes

Vimeo OTT (the platform they’re building the Gizmoplex on) has the ability to do live streams. Will they use it to duplicate the functionality of what is done on Twitch? I don’t know. But live premieres and events were part of the Gizmoplex pitch, so that’s going to be happening.

4 Likes

And as for “right out of the gate”, for all intents, purposes, and promises, it kind of has to. We are just over 7 weeks from the premiere date given for season 13. The app isn’t even out yet, with no release date known. You’re going to want your app launch and season launch to not be so close in case of problems, so bump up when it should be ready by at least 2 of those weeks until the premiere. Let’s call that 5 weeks from now the app launches, have tests in those 2 weeks. So yes, right out of the gate

2 Likes

They talked about creating a theater-like experience with multiple rooms. Live premiere events, rooms you could create to watch with your friends, a screening room where you could just pop in and chat with other MSTies… those were all floated, as I recall, and I believe they’re part of the plan. We’ll see as things develop.

As for the app, my understanding was that it was going to be moving into beta testing shortly. That’s why they asked for volunteers to sign up last month. The beta test may already be underway.

I believe the app launch and the premiere of the first season 13 episode are supposed to be just about simultaneous? Happening in April, I thought.

3 Likes

March. the first episode premieres March 4

2 Likes

Yes beta testing is supposed to be happening throughout January and February.

Have volunteers who signed up for Beta testing heard back yet?

4 Likes

I have not? :frowning:

2 Likes

I volunteered but haven’t heard anything. I’m guessing I wasn’t picked (yet)? But definitely ready to jump in if they’re ready to expand the pool.

4 Likes

I’m less worried about the live streaming and more worried about whether the Gizmoplex app will be available to download via the LG content store on my smart TV. Barring that, if I have to get it on my phone or tablet, will it have functionality to “cast” (using Chromecast or something similar) to my TV from those devices?

5 Likes

I have an LG TV too, and a few months ago bought a Chromecast with Google TV. If you have the Chromecast with Google TV then I think you’ll be all set. The newsletter I received in email said they are working on apps for iOS, Android, AppleTV, GoogleTV, Amazon FireTV and Roku . :v::heart::clapper:

3 Likes

How do you sign up for the beta? :thinking:

1 Like

There was a link in last week’s backer update.

2 Likes

Here is the link

2 Likes