Will Mike ever come back?

I’m just wondering cause we’ve seen Pearl, Brain Guy, & Bobo. They have announced Joel is coming back. I’d actually love to see Dr. Forrester and TV’s Frank come back in some cameo. Like time travel or alternate universe versions (cause they’re supposed to be dead) but who knows? Tales of their deaths may have been exaggerated…

6 Likes

I sadly and highly doubt it.

11 Likes

I don’t think we’re going to see Frank and Forrester, either.

10 Likes

Especially since (not trying to be rude) they’re dead in-universe.

6 Likes

The bots have time travel tech. They can go scoop up anyone they want.

4 Likes

MST seems to play pretty fast and loose with canon; once you’ve been to the ends of the universe as pure energy, finding a way to bring Dr. F and Frank back doesn’t seem like such a stretch.

I’d be thrilled to see Mike, Dr. F or Frank make an appearance, but the vibe I get from them is that they’ve adamantly closed that chapter in their lives. Hopefully my vibe-o-meter is wrong and they’ll one day surprise us!

17 Likes

The real question is whether or not Mike’s ring will come back.

6 Likes

I get the same vibe.

7 Likes

A quandary I posed to myself countless times… In reading the tea leaves, Mike is through with MST3K I feel. He lived with it a long time as a writer then host on several incarnations and Riff Trax is now his muse. His energies are targeted there not on the program he spent a decade on and seemingly moved away from.

The Joel/Jim Mallon Tug of War and his contribution but not ownership of it unlike Rifftrax are likely reasons he’s washed his hands. And watching him over the years, Mike acts indifferent and dead to the program even when it’s mentioned. Because of this and further reads of Mike, I’m nearly certain Mike will never set foot in MSTieland again. Alas yet we always have his shows and a long rich history to fall back on.

8 Likes

At some point in the future Mike may want to revisit his jumpsuit; he’s certainly been willing to reunite with members of the show to perform for audiences (see the Rifftrax Live MST3K reunion show), but I wouldn’t want to push him on it. I think if and when he’s ready we might see it happen.

8 Likes

Maybe I’m just an optimist, but I think with Jim out of the picture, we could see any of them back. Technically, we already have, as they all participated in the RiffTrax MST3K Reunion show. Of course, Trace and Frank were also both a part of Cinematic Titanic, and have somewhat reprised their roles already with The Mads Are Back.

Anything can happen on the Satellite of Love, or Moon 13, or the Gizmoplex, that can happen in any of the movies they riff. Time travel and visits from the dead are just as likely to happen as more mundane things like a beach party, or an attack by killer shrews.

In conclusion: Mike, come back Mike. We miss you Mike!
runs off stage crying

5 Likes

Should he come back? I mean, how many worlds does one man have to destroy before we all can agree that he’s a menace? - a lovable menace but a menace nonetheless.

19 Likes

Mike seems to have some bitterness over the fact that he was never offered an ownership stake in the show… he was always just a hired gun, as he puts it. Obviously doing a cameo wouldn’t require him to lose any focus on his main gig. I think he just doesn’t want to do it.

6 Likes

My impression is that Rifftrax and the MST guys still maintain a collegial relationship. They allow a few Rifftrax on the MST channel, and the two teams don’t seem averse to working with each other now and again. Whether Mike would do it as a lark or just for fun may be possible, but I am sure they keep themselves pretty busy at Rifftrax and the simple fact may be that he doesn’t have the time to fit it in the schedule that they’re running at Alternaversal. The MST shows are filmed on a set and all, while Rifftrax is done in a recording studio using more convenient methods (or they’re off on tour). It may be more logistical than anything else.

5 Likes

They did have guys like Neil Patrick Harris and Jerry Seinfeld do cameos without having to come on-set, though. Having him interact with the host and the bots would be ideal, but they could work something out where Mike sends them a secret video message to warn them about something, or hijacks Kinga’s video feed or something. A roomful of creative comedy writers can certainly come up with something.

And if Mike did make a cameo this season, we wouldn’t necessarily know about it yet. The advantage with the streaming format is that you can keep things like this secret. We always knew that Robert Downey Jr. or Chris Evans weren’t going to make a surprise appearance on Agents of SHIELD, for example, because you lose the ratings bounce if people don’t know to tune in ahead of time. With streaming that doesn’t matter… people can tune in forever, in theory. At least until the Singularity happens.

4 Likes

Given that we are going to be getting Rifftrax material in the Gizmoplex, I would say it’s entirely possible that we might get Mike back in his jumpsuit at some point, but I wouldn’t want to push him. I do like the idea of him hijacking Kinga’s feed by, I dunno, accidentally spilling his Corn Flakes onto his laptop (since in the show he’s a loveable bumbler) and cheering up Jonah or Emily with some encouraging words on how to survive being a host. They could get Kevin and Bill to cameo as Mike’s set of bots too if they did that. But ultimately, again, I don’t want to push him on coming back for a cameo. Do I hope it happens? Absolutely. Will I whine and complain about it where Mike can “hear” about it? Heck no; he’s absolutely earned his retirement from the show if that’s what he so chooses.

10 Likes

Folks speculate about it all the time and it’s an unanswerable question by anyone other than Mike himself. And he himself has said no. And his no will remain a no until and unless he changes his mind. I think he’s perfectly happy doing what he’s doing in a project he heads up and that’s awesome.

8 Likes

One word, Ghosts. They exist in the universe.

3 Likes

From my understanding I read some where Mike still holds a but of a grudge because he put a lot of effort into the show and when it was done that was it… no residuals or anything because he didn’t have the rights although he was a head writer and host for years but I don’t have the time right atm to go looking for the article… maybe when I get home I’ll see if I can find it.

We can always hope though.

They can’t stop us from dreaming!

4 Likes

I’d like for him to come back, because if Blue’s Clues and You can get its 3 hosts together, so should MST3K

3 Likes