Will they release more original episodes?

I have the Ultimate Collection on VHX, but I want more! I’ve started searching through Shout Factory for the DVD releases but there’s much overlap with VHX on each volume, I don’t know that I want to go that route at this point. Will they be releasing more original episodes over time on Gizmoplex/VHX? I didn’t know if that was in the plan or not.
:v::heart::film_projector:

4 Likes

I assume it will be based entirely on rights issues. If they are able to secure the streaming rights, I’m sure they’ll sell it on The Gizmoplex/VHX.

Unfortunately some of the movies are not highly likely to give up those streaming rights at a price that would make sense for the MST3K team to pay.

4 Likes

Your updates for the current Kickstarter include some behind-the-scenes in acquiring/holding rights (which is one of the big, moving parts behind episodes) and Joel’s plans to make the Gizmoplex the new home for MST3K is in the campaign and its timeline (here, here, and here). As far as new, original episodes after season 13 drops,… that’s really up to the viewership and the success of the Gizmoplex making enough sustainable income to afford a 14th season and onward. Or maybe another crowdfunded campaign, although it’d be awesome if the Gizmoplex could generate the $$$ on its own.

MST3K’s roots are in television and it sorta shapes how it continues to be released as seasons. Will having something like the Gizmoplex gently move things toward how Rifftrax does it (or how Cinematic Titanic did)? Time will tell. It’d really depend on how Joel and Alternaversal like producing new shows and us showing them we’d enjoy some more.

5 Likes

Look, just put “Riding With Death” on the Gizmoplex — slowly, and don’t you DARE jostle those patent papers — and nobody needs to get hurt.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with those… I have seen episodes of RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic on their twitch channel but that’s it. How did they release episodes?

1 Like

I suspect the meaning is to suggest “as soon as they’re done making it”.

2 Likes

With Rifftrax, they record and release stuff every two weeks or so, interspersed with shorts and releases by Bridgette and Mary Jo and the Brittrax guys.

Cinematic Titanic was much more sporadic. Over the course of 5 years they only released 12 episodes.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can really compare the two. Rifftrax only records audio tracks. CT had video production to deal with, albeit entirely in silhouette, and additional sketches to write, which Rifftrax doesn’t do.

The cost difference between producing MST3K episodes and Rifftrax must be very large.

1 Like

After a while, CT gave up on producing DVD shows and just released tapings of live shows.

5 Likes

I would love if MST3K did this.

Just an idea I had, I think a spinoff would be a nice way to do weekly episodes. The spin-off sure could be low budget like in the old days while saving the big budget ideas for the main show. Maybe Growler and Waverly can do a show!

I wish they would record and air live shows. I haven’t been to catch any of their tours.

:v::heart::robot: