Wonder if they could do a Kickstarter to get some of the lost episodes back

I had a similar post up with a poll to see what the fan’s appetite was for something like this:

https://forums.mst3k.com/t/crowdfunding-for-specific-episode-rights/16773?u=interestingwerewolf

2 Likes

I am absolutely against paying extortion prices just to be a completist.

4 Likes

Extortion is why God gave us piracy.

(Just kidding, of course… piracy is bad, kids. And stay in school.)

5 Likes

So, they’re never being released.

Toho, Wade Williams, and Susan Hart can all go screw themselves.

Ignore everything I said above. I don’t mean to get so ranty and angry and I don’t wish any harm against these people. it just annoys me when people are greedy and sit on copyrights for so long. All these films have to go public domain at some point. So, it’s not really fair to say they’ll never be released. It will just be a very very long time until they will. Again, I apologize for having that outburst. It won’t happen again.

3 Likes

Since many folks here seem to have a much better handle on the rights issues than I do (it would be hard not to, really), does anyone know what happened to It Lives By Night or Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent? I haven’t seen those mentioned in the lists of unavailables, but they’re also not in the Ultimate collection or on RiffTrax.com anymore. (I bought both from RT in the past few years.)

EDIT: As pointed out below by @Pak-Man, those episodes are still on RT but they’re just not searchable, so I thought they were gone. Still not sure why they weren’t part of the ultimate collection, though.

2 Likes

Viking Women was on Volume XXXIV and can be directly purchased for streaming on other platforms (including Rifftrax!)

It Lives by Night is on Amazon and volume 30.

Not sure why some titles aren’t available here.

3 Likes

I bought both of them from RiffTrax in 2019 or 2020, but neither is currently available for sale on their site.

1 Like

They’re on there, but the Rifftrax search engine is finicky. If you browse the MST3K tab on the main site page, you can find them both there.

MST3K: Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent | RiffTrax

MST3K: It Lives by Night | RiffTrax

5 Likes

Ah. You’re right, of course. My apologies. I thought I had already tried that after the search brought up nothing, but I obviously didn’t.

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

And it’s not like these movies are cinematic masterpieces that are studied in film school or listed on a mainstream publication’s top 100 movies of all time. Without MST3K, so many of these movies would vanish into obscurity.

6 Likes

What if you’re in pirate school?

3 Likes

A school of pirates is called a “Hearrrd.”

3 Likes

The Godzilla movies though have the unique distinction of being both riffed by MST3K and released as part of Criterion Collection spine #1000.

7 Likes

Aha! I was waiting for this! The Godzilla movies have the unique distinction of being pop culture icons all on their own. This distinguishes them from Fire Maidens From Outer Space or Rocketship XM.

3 Likes

It Lives By Night is low-key one of my favorites. Thank you so much and please accept this virtual drink of your choice! :beer::wine_glass::cocktail::tumbler_glass::tropical_drink::cup_with_straw:

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, the Criterion Collection releasing the Godzilla movies made my pulverized heart happier than you can imagine.

6 Likes

I wish we could convince them to keep it going and do Heisei and Millennium sets.

4 Likes

I will always prioritize making new episodes to be perfectly honest.

5 Likes

That would be a bit of perfect, wouldn’t it?

4 Likes

Also that his movie’s not very good and almost no one currently alive would care about it if not for this show. Pppphhhbbbttt!!!

4 Likes