World Cup 2023

I am behind real time because the US opener of the 2023 Women’s World Cup overlapped with the Mod’s Watchalong but it’s almost halftime now! :slight_smile: Anyone else watching? Who are y’all rooting for?

4 Likes

You know I am, we should have won that game by way more!

2 Likes

Vietnam put up some decent defense in the box a few times. And that penalty kick wasn’t dazzling. But a win is a win :smiley:

2 Likes

I found the US’s performance underwhelming in that game. However, I thought Vietnam’s goalie did a really good job keeping the US from running up the score.

2 Likes

Until we need that goal differential!

2 Likes

True, but I don’t really like running up the score against weak teams.

If we beat China 128-0 that would be fine, though.

1 Like

I have more than one uncle who served, who would like nothing more for the Vietnamese team, too.

Having said that, the Zambia game was a little closer than the score indicated. They played the Japanese hard for the first part of the game that I was able to stay up for.

China looked surprisingly good, you can tell they have been working very hard on their program. They lost to Denmark, by one, and that goal was scored in the 90th minute IIRC.

Haiti also looked good, and playing England to a 1-0 loss is impressive for a country with limited resources.

I would also like to beat China 128 - 0; we could repeat that score for all the games the US plays!

No Mallory Swanson, Sam Mewis and Christen Press is definitely hurting the USWNT this time around.

1 Like

Any other folks who can’t sleep watching right now? Italy and Argentina are 0-0 at the half.

1 Like

I’m not allowed to actually watch TV after 9:30 (my sleep therapist says so) I can only have it on in the background with the brightness turned down. So I’m watching virtually everything on tape delay.

Nice premier for Jamaica yesterday!

1 Like

I watched the whole game. It was intense. The 16 year old Dragoni really could move with the ball, it’s hard to believe she’s still in whatever the European equivalent to high school is…They call her “Little Messi”, but Benini on the Argentina squad looked unstoppable on her side of the pitch. There was little to do but triple team her! Larroquette (who we all love, cuz “Dan” from night court) was playing like a demon, running down every ball, all the way to goal. She picked up a yellow card, but the ref was letting the girls play last night, and they were getting into it. Of course, I really liked watching the Italian squad; they will make it far into the tourney if they continue to play like they did last night. They also have my tournament crush (that’s not Megan Rapinoe), Giacinti, she’s phenomenal!

1 Like

So the Philippines upset one of the host countries, on their home turf. Honestly, having watched the game, the New Zealand team got frustrated early by the Philippina’s speed and mobility. New Zealand’s Wilkinson towered over anyone she covered, and looked rather bullyish pushing her opponents around. New Zealand had a goal taken back, but they struggled to get a good play in front of the goal.

Columbia looked really good on their winning outing against South Korea; which also looked pretty good. Both teams are very fast, but the Columbians seemed to have more gas, and were able to keep moving longer.

The next round of games should prove out some of the stamina of various teams, as well as filter some players vis a vis yellow card carry overs, and red card recipients.

Spoiler alert: US - Netherlands game
Okay so how are we losing to these clog-wearing, gouda-eating windmill dwellers? Get it together, yo!

Edit:

more spoiler

WOOOOOOO YOU SHOW THOSE HAIR-BRAIDING BONNET-WEARING TULIP LOVERS, HORAN!

3 Likes

The US coach needs to tweak the lineup; they did so much better in the second half.

2 Likes

I’m loving this Australia-Nigeria match!

Tough week for the host countries.

1 Like

The South Africa/ Argentina game was fantastic. The South Africans are so athletic, they were running down passes and shots enough that the Argentines came out in the second half and started booting it a la true South American style. They came back from 2 down to tie!

Anyone planning on staying up to watch the USWNT against Portugal? Or are you planning on DVRing? Or, like me, are you catching the replay of the Telemundo feed on Peacock tomorrow morning?

3 Likes

I’m recording but I’m also away from home so I expect I’ll check the result in the morning, and assuming we don’t humiliate ourselves by losing to Portugal, I’ll do the actual watching when I get home in a couple of days.

I’d consider staying up but this trip has been EXHAUSTING :smiley:

2 Likes

We’re watching, it’s getting ready to start !

Go USA!

:us:

1 Like

Well I just watched Korea boot Germany out of the World Cup. Exciting!

2 Likes