Worst movie you saw in the theater

5CqJgTW

Not gonna lie while Keaton/Burton Bat era is still my favorite, the casting for this was
Chefs Kiss Reaction GIF by Nick Jonas

7 Likes

YES. Keaton will always be the greatest Batman/Bruce Wayne.

11 Likes

Well if that’s the case, then Babylon 5 must be for adults with doctorates and a full retirement fund!

7 Likes

Incorrect:

16 Likes

I’ve never understood the whole “it’s made for kids” narrative.

Yeah Jedi was poorly handled by both Lucas and Marquand, but the plot of the entire rest of the movie series is highly adult in the content. (Trade disputes, political maneuvering within a galactic senate, mass genocide, betrayal and redemption)

The sequels are an exception to this. The big Mouse never gave the sequels the time it deserved to be plotted and fleshed out as the fanbase deserved. They just reheated a couple of plot lines and forcibly inserted diversified characters no one wanted.

4 Likes

David Lynch’s “Dune”. Man was I disappointed…

“This is a knife fight not a Tai Chi session!”

9 Likes

Actually, The Last Jedi was the film that made me a Star Wars fan. Previously, I’d watched all the Star Wars movie as a sort of geek obligation, but I didn’t get the love.

Until The Last Jedi… then everything finally… CLICKED for me, and I understood the whole damn thing.

I can’t explain why. But that’s the one that did it for me. I went back and rewatched all of the old ones with a new found appreciation. Thanks to Rian Johnson

18 Likes

Kinda ironic because the last Jedi goes against the heart of Star wars, makes Luke act completely different than what a Jedi would actually act, and serves to further move Disney’s trilogy away from the actual canon of Star Wars.

But, I’m glad you liked it. I honestly am not a huge fan of Star Wars, I’m more of a Star Trek kinda guy.

4 Likes

The Piano. Saw it opening night at an art theater that had a classical pianist perform before the movie, with the audience dressed up for the night.

A good cast in an frustrating movie about terrible characters doing terrible things to each other not for the advancement of the story but for the amusement of the writer. And worse yet - a naked Harvey Keitel looking in better shape at twice my age at the time. :slight_smile:

My wife had picked it out and afterwards, I turned to her in the theater and said, “I love you, but I will never go to another movie you pick.” (joking, of course)

The biggest audience walk-out I have ever seen was a showing of DEAD RINGERS from David Cronenberg. This was right after his success with THE FLY and DEAD ZONE and it was clear the audience was not used to the type of “body horror” Cronenberg has used in his films before and since. As it got to the live autopsy scene near the end of the movie, dozen of people began quickly making their ways to the exit, which was an amazing experience to witness.

6 Likes

Fell asleep next to my mom watching the force awakens. Not certain if I made it half way, though I did wake up for the last act unfortunately. Still the only film to ever literally bore me unconscious in a theater. “Wait, why is Max Von Sydow in this film… snore

2 Likes

Beat me to it. Kevin Conroy is indeed the best.

7 Likes

Yah, I was going to remove that from my post, as it’s overly judgemental on my part. But now that it’s quoted I’ll live with it.

I enjoy a huge number of things that are “for kids”, so I probably shouldn’t have phrased it quite that way. Rather, there was a lack of sophistication to the material that put me off. Granted, space opera never was meant to be deep from the get-go, but having been raised on complex sci-fi it just didn’t gel with me after a point. And if I’m being totally frank, the fandom really turned me off to the whole series as well. After that, being acquired by the Dark Lords of the Perpetual Copyright was not so much the last nail in the coffin as a wooden stake through the heart.

So yes, I have some complex internal issues underlying what should be fun pop-culture opinions. :laughing:

3 Likes

I was totally sold on gay nipple batman from Forever, with all the what I would argue was good cheese. I was 14 and & Robin was the first crap festival that really made me question what makes a bad movie: “How can you have jokes that aren’t funny?”

4 Likes

Oh, gosh, yes, The Piano! One of my friends highly recommended it, I went to see it, and then called her up to tell her that there was not one minute of that movie I enjoyed.

1 Like

Can confirm, absolutely terrible. I saw it from the comfort of my own home and wanted to walk out :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

The worst film I ever saw in theaters was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. It was a TERRIBLE film, and the fact that there was a power outage in the theater during the last 20 minutes of the showjng made it somehow feel worse. Yeah, never again.

8 Likes

Highlander 2 was terrible.
Cyborg was bad also.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard that too. And maybe THAT is what made it CLICK for me… it was like a movie set in the Star Wars world that wasn’t a “Star Wars movie”. It didn’t follow the formula, though it had most of the elements itself. It made me appreciate the WORLD that Lucas built, and wonder what OTHER creators would do playing in that world when they weren’t forced to suck on Lucas’ teat. The different KINDS of stories that could be told beyond just “oh, here’s another death star again”, or “hey, look, more Skywalkers and Palpatines!” It showed me the potential of not staying true to the formula.

I just feel like there’s so much more to explore in that world, and I’d love to see more creators’ takes on that universe.

7 Likes

I get that. It definitely added variety. It’s a shame Disney chose to have such a fractured storyline and different directors. It would of been nice if the team who planned the MCU timeline did this trilogy and leaned into the different stories that could come from the Star Wars Universe with and make it much more coherent.

Rogue One was my favorite Disney Star Wars movie.

8 Likes

In 1990, my friend Ray Loresto and I walked into a theater and the three of us (there was an old man down front) watched Firebirds with Nic Cage. Every time we thought that they had exhausted the tired military cliche, they surprised us with another. We had a really good time but it was a really crappy movie. After the show, the older veteran who had been sitting down front told us that we ought to show more respect for the men and women of the armed forces. Chastened, we hurried out, but I turned to Ray once we were out on the street and said, “I just wish that THEY had shown more respect to the men and women of the armed forces.”

2 Likes