Worst movie you saw in the theater

I saw Cyrano (2021) at this quirky little independent theater last winter. It was….I mean it definitely was not the worst movie I’ve ever seen. I quite liked certain parts of it. But the music was kind of lackluster and of course the overall story is super depressing so when we left the theater my friends (who I had of course begged to come see it with me) and I were all just like “Well, that movie was…something.”

I think they all hated it but just didn’t want to hurt my feelings. And I felt bad cuz it was not really worth the fuss we made to see it together :sweat_smile: Not the worst movie I’ve ever seen but definitely the weirdest/worst one I’ve ever paid money to see haha

2 Likes

I had almost forgotten about it, but a friend scored some tickets to the Chicago premiere of Transformers: The Last Knight.

If any film ever felt like Michael Bay was just there for a paycheck, it was this one. It just further throws out story logic (like how did Galvatron become Megatron again?), every other character is just ****ed off, and by the time it ends you’ve just completely given up caring about anything that is going on.

I still remember the guy sitting next to me wearing a vintage TF shirt. He started out optimistic, and then as the film went on, he just got more and more upset. And then there came one moment that just ‘broke him.’

He just dropped like a dozen f-bombs with one scene, and you could tell he was done.

2 Likes

Now that you brought it up again in TONIGHT: It's your OPEN THREAD for 🍾 Tom & Crow's Unsupervised Year-End Review Revue! 🍾 - #57 by CLANG_Potroast, I’m reminded of the fact that I only ever once snuck into a movie in my life.

And it was THIS one. And I’d already SEEN it. And HATED it.

My shame is boundless. :astonished:

1 Like

There were an odd number of us who listed that one as the first movie they remember seeing in a theater in a thread of the same name around these parts somewhere.

Odd, I say.

4 Likes

Tragically, it’s actually a slightly better than average example of '70s kiddie entertainment.

3 Likes

Yeah. It had some good actors in it. (All of whom went home and fired their agents not long after this.)

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that one in the theater too, when I was too young to have a choice. I remember not understanding why I was supposed to like it, but not much else.

4 Likes

1 Like

I wouldn’t blame anyone for walking out on an airplane movie. Either cut while stuck in a metal tube has to be a violation of the Geneva Convention.

3 Likes

I’ve been a bit kinder to those two after Fant4stic. Talk about a severe case of “NO! YOU CAN’T HAVE THESE TOYS! THEY’RE MINE!” on Fox’s part.

4 Likes

Or, and bear with me here, people like familiar things. For every person that complains about “creative bankruptcy” in Hollywood, 1 million people will go to the movies they are complaining about.
I go to a movie every week and I can tell you new, “original” movies are usually sparsely attended, often just me and 2 or 3 other people. Whereas whatever movie you are currently complaining about is fully or nearly full.
The greatest playwright in the history of the English language had, maybe, TWO original works.

5 Likes

I last went to the cinema* to see the misguided movie version of Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The image quality was decent, but the sound quality was appalling, rendering Mos Def’s subdued mumblings especially unintelligible.
Plus Zooey Deschanel was even more irritatingly self-absorbed than usual.

*properly went just to watch a newly-released movie, rather than to see the RiffTrax crew crucify Samurai Cop - my last actual visit.

2 Likes

That one was on the docket at Reels of Justice. It was found guilty of being a bad movie, but sentencing won’t occur for another seven and a half million years.

ROJ-150: “The People vs. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” with Simon Majumdar (buzzsprout.com)

2 Likes

I actually saw Hangar 18 in the theater.

4 Likes

Sorry for the repost, but it’s been too long to edit the original?

Finally figured out the correct name while talking about movies, DVDs with a customer this morning…

Super 8

Super 8 included all the lens flares and an odd lighting effect that made the theater almost daylight bright at times? Not only did it HURT my eyes and make my head feel like it was going to split open, but it … took you out of the movie by making the area around you so bright you could see the people’s faces around you, many also shielding their eyes from the glare?

Both Super 8 and the Trek reboot made me leave the theater with the worst headache I’ve ever had…

The lens flare effects did more to ruin those movies that anything else? I mean, the trek reboot may still be my least favorite trek movie, well, beside the bad… so very bad… reboot of Khan in the following Trek reboot movie? But, I didn’t even bother seeing that one in a theater?

grumble

2 Likes

I’ve seen behind the scenes footage of how they did those “effects”, he had people with high powered flashlights shine them into the camera lens. You know, like Kubrick would have done, NOT! :grin:

I thought Super 8 was OK but I didn’t see it in a theater, and I think it was on my first LCD TV and that thing did not get super bright so the lens flare was only mildly annoying.

3 Likes

Yeah, 8MM was about… something else.

3 Likes

Yup.

Yup.

But, I was right that the title had an 8 in it and was a type of film stock?

I’m going to take the small victory?

3 Likes

Until Skinamarink earlier this year, I had never flipped off a film in the theater before.

If it had been a 15-20 minute short, I wouldn’t have had a problem…but this film goes on for way too long, and feels like a modern art piece with the director sitting in the back of the theater, waiting to see how many people stay until the end.

4 Likes

Reels of Justice put it on trial not that long ago.

ROJ-316: “The People vs. Skinamarink” with Bouncin’ Bobby LePire (buzzsprout.com)

2 Likes