Worst MST3K Child Hero

Glad the general consensus here is Tyor, the most repulsive and brick-brained child protagonist I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. “I’ll skooer you!!”

5 Likes

I don’t know, I thought Bo Svenson was fun to watch too.

3 Likes

He’s a cutie, but I think Carradine brought more energy.

1 Like

I feel for the actor who played Tyor. If I was in his place I wouldn’t have been able to remember my lines and my IQ would have dropped about 20 points because of all the beautiful women in the film.

1 Like

Tyor is the WORST! Such a creepy little weed and that damn voice! God I feel bad saying this because I was bullied at his age but jfc I just wanted to give him a wedgie that whole movie.

5 Likes

to be fair, his dad was an absolute dick for forcing him to give up a pet like that. wasn’t till the later half of the film when I was starting to get seriously fed up with the kid

2 Likes

I don’t think Kenny was supposed to be a hero. He’s an ally of the villain. He gets in the way a lot and has to be saved repeatedly. The adults did all the problem solving, Kenny would’ve sabotaged Z plan to save his monster if he could’ve. Kenny is just there to represent and connect with the kids watching the movie, and to make the monster more complex and interesting than it would’ve been without him.

It’s not until the later movies that Gamera and his child sidekicks become heroes.

5 Likes

"You never loved me, Kenny–It was those rocks you cared abouuuuuut!"

3 Likes

I’m going to add that The Final Sacrifice is definitely fantasy (a lost super culture… in Canada?) and Rosdower may not be a wizard, per se, but he’s 100% magic.

7 Likes

It’s fantasy in the same way Indiana Jones is, albeit more contemporarily set and Canadian.

3 Likes

That or the anti-hero. Pint-sized.

Well, Satoris definitely is an evil wizard, so there is scope for argument here. His hooded henchmen are rather orcish, and Rowsdower has the facial hair and penchant for ale that most reluctant fantasy heroes have. But I wouldn’t class this movie as Tolkien-esque fantasy overall, in spite of its many parallels.

Maybe I can set up some further polls to cover other young characters.

4 Likes

Gamera’s Homies

Who are the worst compatriots of our beloved flying turtle?

0 voters

5 Likes

Hmm, worst, well Kenny or Toshiro is the worst as far as twisted mindset goes - Gamera is good, despite all the death and destruction left in his wake. Don’t mind the grieving families Toshiro, Gamera is to be worshiped and adored. Saying that, the “possessed by the devil” factor results in a lot of funny quips.

Beyond this, there’s the “too precocious for their own good” factor, the “kids bossing adults” factor, the “tiny shorts” and/or “shrill voice” factor, the “Coke” factor…

Oh the layers of annoyance boggles the mind.

2 Likes

Chose Kenichi and Helen for the sheer volume of smugness, repetition, and irritation. Though it was tempting to hand it all to Toshio/Kenny for starting us all down this road in the first place.

3 Likes

It’s a hard call with this lot. I actually think Eiichi is the most innocuous of the bunch, because he comes up with useful info against Gaos and stands up to the men berating his grandfather. The rest are all awful in their own ways.

In the end my vote went to Kenichi & Helen, along with their idiot fathers and the perverted dolphin handler. Zigra could have taken out the marine park with no loss to humanity.

4 Likes

I watched The Black Scorpion the other day, and realized that Juanito would probably get along famously with Panchito from The Beast of Hollow Mountain.
“The adults are going to explore somewhere dangerous!”
“Should we go get in the way and add to their risk by requiring them to protect us?”
“¡Sí!”

6 Likes

Bonus creep factor since the same actor plays both!

“It’s Juanito and Panchito in The Kaiju Trap!

4 Likes

d4qikx7-ed520496-4267-45d0-b95e-ffa8696adbfe

3 Likes

The entire cast is the same between those films. It is fun to watch those episodes back to back.

3 Likes