Worst Song Ever

Some of THE most unpleasant people (schoolmates) I’ve ever known were Lynyrd fans. That alone makes me shut off “Alabama” every time it comes on. Yeah, and then there’s its “social message.” lol

4 Likes

I like to harken back to the Golden Age of One-Hit Wonders, cause some of them were one-hit I’m convinced because they were secretly executed. Two of the best/worst: “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods and “Run Joey Run” by David Geddes (both these “artists” actually had equally bad followup songs that charted).

6 Likes

If we’re going there, I’ll add “Lonely Boy.” As a second-born I was like, “Hey, Buddy don’t threaten me with a good time,” when the spoiled brat title character ran away from home. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen … “Mambo #5!”

I’ve got some good memories of this song, and it was certainly catchy as hell, but oh man did it overstay its welcome.

9 Likes

I give you my favorite Christmas song, by one of my favorite bands. I guarantee it will make one or more of your “worst songs ever” lists, and I’ll still love it.

Santa Dog by The Residents

EDIT: If I’m being completely candid, it’s my second-favorite Christmas song. I’ll always love Carol Of The Bells best.

2 Likes

I always wonder if stuff that’s just chronically overplayed should be categorized separately. Like, if I never had to hear “Stairway To Heaven” or “Rhapsody In Blue” or “Barracuda” ever again, I’d be thrilled. But I don’t think of them as being terrible music. Just tiresome now because of their initial globe-spanning splash.

8 Likes

Achy. Breaky. Heart.

It’s bad enough anyway HOWEVER it is much much worse when blasted by your neighbor at 1 AM

The only time I ever called the cops

11 Likes

I have a tolerance for WW that I believe stems from the fact that my brain considers it comedy, rather than music.

2 Likes

Same. Some of his “hits” make me chuckle despite the repetition factor. Also, love his drawings.

3 Likes

Dude was homeless, mentally and physically ill, and addicted to who knows what. It was probably plain wrong to laugh. Welp.

1 Like

With pop songs, one person’s beloved soundtrack to my life is another’s audio hell on earth. That said, my personal terrestrial torment is Charlene D'Angelo - I've Been To Paradise (official video) - YouTube

5 Likes

I was just wondering this myself. All three that you mentioned are objectively great songs, but if I never hear them again it’ll be too soon. I think the subjectivity of what we each consider bad is part of the fun, but then who am I to recommend structure? I actually like a few songs by Dr. Dirty, so I clearly cannot be trusted.

4 Likes

He has many albums to show for it, so laugh or not, he got to live out some of his dreams.

3 Likes

No discussion of bad songs is complete without bringing up Dave Barry’s Book of Bad Songs. It is one of the funniest things I have ever read. His number one bad song was “MacArthur Park” as sung by Richard Harris and I don’t have an argument against it.

6 Likes

The original is terrific. What was done to it was not.

6 Likes

My number one choice would be anything by Ed Sheeran. I don’t know what it is about that man’s music, but hearing any if it makes me irrationally angry.

4 Likes

:thinking: I always got the feeling that he knew some of his ideas were comical, but I could be wrong. Anyway, even if he was dead serious about “I Whupped Batman’s Ass,” I still salute him. (Because the character is overexposed to the point of being crustless white bread in a mask at this point.)

3 Likes

Gosh I hate both those songs. What made Run Joey Run particularly awful is my little sister got the single for Christmas along with a record player. It was bad the first time I heard it. Then …

I think “story” songs are like that. You either love or hate them. For everyone who loves the Night Chicago Died, someone else considers it a crime on par with the ones referenced inn the song.

2 Likes

Saaaaandstooooormmmm! Saaaaandstooooormmmm!

5 Likes

My worst ever varies by the day, and sometimes by the hour. Hotel California. De Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da. Misunderstanding by Genesis. The majority of the Skynyrd catalog.

4 Likes