Worst Song From Your Favorite Artist?

I was thinking about how people talk about bad movies, bad books (and audiobooks) and I haven’t heard many people at least with me talk about bad music. I’m not talking about songs that may have aged badly with production (here’s looking at Temporary Secretary) but just overall unlistenable music. To further twist the knife, I think bad songs from artists you know can do better is ultimately the hardest way to listen to music. Your submission (s) can be from several different artists if you can’t choose one.

I’ll go first with one of my favorite artists, David Bowie. It may be controversial to say but my favorite album is in fact Glass Spider. However I can’t listen to the song Laughing Gnome.

3 Likes

I love Lou Reed. I love Metallica. But that collaboration should not be.

3 Likes

‘Please, Daddy, Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas’ from John Denver’s ‘Rocky Mountain Christmas’.

Yes, it’s as bad as the title.

3 Likes

I really like the band Cake, but I’ve always hated their song The Distance – which is their biggest hit.

Go figure

2 Likes

U2: Elvis Presley & America, The Unforgettable Fire.

I’m not the biggest fan of TUF (though it’s integral to U2’s first big shift) but I can still listen to every track except…damn, guys, this is weird. And from the band who unleashed “Discotheque” and “Lemon” upon the world, that’s saying something.

Just gonna’ say [deep breath] several artists I like tried to do songs about the fall of the NYC Twin Towers. Only one managed to not completely muck it up.

Leaving this vague on purpose.

1 Like

I don’t know about favorite artist/band, but I love Led Zeppelin.

If I hear the tune “Kashmir” one more time, I’ll probably soil myself. Not saying I haven’t in the past, but that’s a man’s secret.

And, yes, of course I’m going to hear it lots more times. At least once a month it’s piped over some damned PA somewhere.

Fools playing that rotten, plodding inane tune. I hate them!

////////////

/* ETA, sure, why not. I love Merle Haggard, generally, but I’m not going to listen to fricking “Okie from Muskogee” again! C’mon, it’s tired, a silly little novelty tune. A good one, but still, enough already, Hag. */

3 Likes

Beatles nut here, and for covers, Mr. Moonlight is excruciating, my most skipped Beatles song. And the thing is, they were recording a bangin “Leave My Kitten Alone” that they left off the album (later showing up in bootlegs and on anthology). That would have been so much better, or even do the Liverpool favorite, “Some Other Guy” - of the live recordings I’ve heard, they rocked that number. Both of those covers would have been an asset. Mr. Moonlight, I dunno, maybe John though it would be funny and quirky. But for me it’s just a drag.

As for originals, they did some throwaway filler stuff on the White Album, but setting that aside for a real, full number - I don’t like “Goodnight” - Ringo drones, and it’s one of the rare production and arrangement missteps from George Martin, it’s a draggy, syrupy slog of a song.

3 Likes

I love Stereolab, but fully half of their songs just sound a cat decided to clean itself on top of a synthesizer for nine minutes.

2 Likes

Prince but I don’t like the most beautiful girl in the world. It’s like the purple one decided to make a song that would be popular but it’s so bland.

2 Likes

In general, I enjoy Billy Joel’s hits, but “We Didn’t Start The Fire” always makes me want to punch a wall. Good going, Dude. You managed to make history sound as dull as a beige room. :confused:

(Anyone remember the doubled-over riff about this song from one of the Kaiju movies? I feel bad about forgetting the specifics, because it’s one of the greats.)

[Found it! From the first Gamera movie. Red Jumpsuit Man quotes the chorus as a fire burns onscreen, and Tom drily responds, “Thank you, uh… JOEL.” ]

2 Likes

There are several lines from it in Starcrash for some reason. (The riff doesn’t really reference anything happening on screen, so :man_shrugging:t4:)

1 Like

Weezer’s not my favorite musical group (although I do enjoy their material), but “Beverly Hills” is less of a song and more of a crime against humanity.

3 Likes

I don’t really have a favorite artist, but can we all agree that Within You Without You is the worst Beatles song by far?

1 Like

“Run For Your Life” is the one and only Beatles song I refused to put in my digital music library.

1 Like

The lyrics in that song are pretty offensive, but it’s also catchy.

1 Like

The Beatles never wrote a non-catchy song, except Revolution 9. If there is an instrumental version of Run For Your Life I will consider it.

2 Likes

The one I dislike the most is “Hey, Jude.” (Okay, you made your point after the first two minutes. You can stop now. PLEASE?!)

4 Likes

Hee hee… some of my favorite songs are in this thread.

2 Likes

Well, as (not TV’s) Phranc once sang, “The world would be a pretty boring place/If everyone was the same…” :wink: :rainbow_flag:

1 Like