Would a movie such as Chariots of the Gods be a good target?

I was wondering if Chariots of the Gods would make a good target for MST3K? It is a dreary little piece based upon the book by the same name. Beautiful photography and a snoozefest of an audio track. Would a pseudoscience movie be worth a laugh?

3 Likes

Maybe. It is a bit boring, but could work. However, I think this is not ‘prime’ MST3K material imo.

2 Likes

Ancient Astronaut Theorists… say yes.

3 Likes

A book also brought to the screen by Making Contact’s Roland Emmerich as Stargate!

2 Likes

Huh?

But I LIKE Vangelis!

Oh. Wait.

1 Like

I saw it in the theater and at the line, “experts agree that the animal was alive when killed,” I said, “most are alive when killed.” I said it out loud and my section got a much-needed laugh. NOTE: I had not intended to say it out loud, it just happened. The very boring nature might work to make gags.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be chosen. Too known of a quantity and a Best Picture Oscar Winner. No way Kinga would say “Welcome to the Nightmare fueled world that is” Chariots of Fire (1981).

Running could be the new rock climbing. And Vangelis rules! Wait, they said Gods not Fire… Wrong chariots.
morgan freeman GIF by Paramount Pictures

1 Like

I don’t think so. IMO the once you’ve riffed on Van Daniken’s basic premise, there’s not that much to say. The PBS Nova special by Carl Sagan does that with a side helping of unintentional humor. The movies itself is, how you’ve described, kind of relaxing but not poorly made. It’s certainly no Boggy Creek 2.

2 Likes

I think the interesting part of this question is “such as”.

Because, if we’re bein’ honest, Chariots of the Gods?* is the gold-standard in its class. Nominated for an Oscar and one of the top 10 grossing films of 1970, it’s also pretty dry and straightforward. It lacks a lot of things that make riffing interesting.

Now, some of the movies that followed in the wake of CotG? might work as they dabbled in things like special effects and re-enactments. Sunn Classic pictures and that ilk. At some point, you reach that convergence of Monster A-Go-Go or Ed Wood-style exposition combined with comparably low-budget sets and acting.

* The book used the question mark at the end, the movie did not, but I prefer it with. Sort of like preferring “The End?”

3 Likes

The visuals are nice, but the dialog is filled with strange comments and claims that might be able to be torn to pieces. The movie is only relaxing when it is not listened to. Sort of a screensaver sort of thing.

1 Like

Chariots of the Gods (1970), not Chariots of Fire. I agree, Chariots of Fire would not work.

3 Likes

Yes. I noticed it once I posted that. Apologies.

1 Like

No problem, I can see how it would happen.

1 Like