Writing, Writing, Writing, SQUIRREL!

I just learned about Vella today. How does that work with interior art?

2 Likes

Check the Vella site, it may give you the acceptable formats for uploading straight from your document.

1 Like

Looking it over, I think I’m going to pass on Vella.

2 Likes

I have no idea if this will be of use to you, and may be full of stuff you already know, but I learned a lot about the economics of Kindle Unlimited from this book about being an author, by Drew Hayes (who wrote one of my all time favorite series):

it probably doesn’t answer your actual question at all, but I thought it may be of interest to you anyway.

3 Likes

In the meantime, here’s a sneak preview of some of the characters who will be appearing in my project.

Gareon
Saved from doom on his home planet by being placed in The Requiem Realm, a strange Purgatory-like dimension (which is TOTALLY not like any sort of zone that might have phantoms in it), Gareon has incredible powers of strength, flight, and invulnerability, plus the ability to turn intangible.

Timely Girl
Granted incredible powers by Father Time, Timely Girl is originally from the 1940s, knocked into the future. She’s somewhat evasive about her past.

Fractionate
Raised on a post-apocalyptic planet that had been ravaged by nuclear war, Fractionate escaped and fled to Earth. A hardy survivor, Fractionate can generate blasts of radiation.

Twinspire
Ann-Marie has the curious power to split into two people, Ann and Marie. Sharing a psychic link, Ann and Marie are quite good at both reconnaissance and combat, teaming up to take down even the strongest of foes.

4 Likes

Oh, and since I’m getting ready to put stuff on Kindle again, I decided to look up some stuff I put up years ago, and came across this review…

I’m honestly more proud of that than the 5-star review I got for another story.

6 Likes

Ahh the first negative review. It’s a rite of passage for every author.

6 Likes

On the topic of early author rites of passage…

Because your initial submissions are going to be rejected, the advice given was always “don’t submit to a prestigious magazine; start with smaller local publications.” The idea was you’d be more likely to succeed. But my thinking was I’d much rather be rejected by The New Yorker than Jeff’s Mimeographed Random Poems Quarterly. Rejection from the former is expected, from the latter devastating.

It’s my first year in college, and I’m in a poetry class taught by James Reiss (he liked us to call him “Coach”). We are assigned to write a poem to a strict form of our choosing, and the examples he gave were like sonnet and haiku and villanelle, but we were allowed to research and find any that struck our fancy. I chanced upon pantoum which I thought was pretty neat, and that’s what I wrote and turned in.

When the class met again, Coach Reiss gave a breakdown of the different forms students chose. Half a dozen this or that, three or four of these… and one person, just one person chose pantoum. And that impressed him because of his personal history with the form. You see, the very first piece he ever submitted for publication was a pantoum, which was accepted by The New Yorker.

Well, dammit. My entire “intentionally submit to them because of course I’ll be rejected” plan just went out the window.

6 Likes

For anyone else wondering what form pantoum is, here’s an example:

3 Likes

Okay, so got my stuff spell-checked and grammar checked, tweaked a few things. Just waiting on some notes from somebody, then formatting and hopefully putting it up for sale on Kindle tomorrow. Here is my (tentative) cover image-

5 Likes

On a forum called SFFChronicles (science fiction and fantasy discussion) they have a 75-word writing contest (with theme and genre supplied) every month and a 300-word writing contest (inspired by a supplied image) four times a year. Here’s my entry for the latest 300-word content.

Our Lady of the Tides

Twice each day, under sun or stars, Giorgio walked along the shore at low tide. He gathered sea creatures he could eat and driftwood that, once dried, would provide a crackling fire, releasing pale blue flames and the sharp scent of the sea. Sometimes he found a watch or a pair of sunglasses lost by a careless tourist that he could sell to Alessandro the pawnbroker.

Today he found an enormous shell, unbroken, elegantly curved, richly decorated by nature in spirals of amber and ivory. A wiser man would have seen it as a source of wealth; for Giorgio, it was a gift to be shared.

He took it to a small chapel frequented by sailors and laid it at the feet of a crudely painted wooden statue of the Virgin. Giorgio knew little of theology – Father Martino thought him hardly more than a pagan – but he knew the Virgin was kind to those who honored her.

One night, as the sea hissed and whispered under a quarter moon, Giorgio saw the Virgin. She lay half in the water and half out, as innocent in her nudity as Eve before the Fall. From the waist down her body was deep emerald; above, palest jade. She beckoned to him, rising a bit from where she rested, and Giorgio saw that she took the form of one who dwelt as easily in the sea as on land.

The Virgin rolled into the water and vanished beneath the waves. Giorgio walked into the sea, discarding his ragged shirt and trousers as earthly burdens he no longer needed. He believed he would drown and enter Paradise, shorn of his sins by the grace of the Virgin. Instead, the Virgin took him by the hand and, with powerful thrusts of her tail, led him home.

5 Likes

Man, it would be really nice if there were a simple way to add a caption to an image in Microsoft Word. “Do you want alt text?” NO I WANT A CAPTION YOU STUPID PROGRAM HOW DO I DO THAT!!!

3 Likes

Perhaps this is the thingie thing you seek.

Full disclosure: that’s just from a search I did. I don’t have Office so I can’t test it.

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks, but that doesn’t look a thing like the version of Word I’m using.

2 Likes

This is why I use Publisher. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Okay, after some headaches (the recommended format for uploading is .doc/.docx, and for whatever reason MS Word wasn’t letting me actually save a workable file in that format that I could upload, but I DID get a decent PDF version), it is now up in review on kindle, hopefully available for purchase shortly.

3 Likes

It’s live!

amzn.to/3SflxWi

I will say, I really, really like Kindle’s Cover Creator feature. While everything else about getting this up was a a pain in the hinder, the Cover Creator took my image and made a really nice looking cover.

5 Likes

Congratulations! :tada:

3 Likes

I’m taking a Creative Writing summer class, which is basically how to write a short story. I have my rough draft mostly written; I just need to write the very last scene, which is for some reason being very picky, when the rest went fairly smoothly. I just need to resolve everything, and I know how to do it too, I’m mostly writing from personal experience. It just won’t translate itself into words enough for me to write it! Arrgh.

4 Likes