Yeah Your Algorithms Need To Be fixeed

I can reply to every single reply if I come here every single day but if I skip a day I can’t respond to more than two replies? WTF? I am a regular commenter here but this makes me not want to come here. I have OG posts I started but I can’t reply to folks because I have a day job and can be here 24/7?? Badly played forum.

Also, I might not be an original backer but I bought an pass in November when I found out new MST3K was even a possibility. I have been watching this show since the 90s. I may haven’t had the money to fund all of the various permutations but at least I should be able to talk to people that love the show. I get you have a lot of people posting extraneous posts that are relatively new to the show and are too young to understand that this isn’t twitter. I work in data & analytics as my day job.

I am not one of those folks. I have literally been posting in forums since the later 90s and introduced my kids and my grandkid aged stepkids to this show.

2 Likes

That seems… odd. @Lesley, is this the behavior you’re expecting from the Discourse config?

4 Likes

Thank you for asking. It’s literally the first time this has happened here but I saw this issue in other topics. I do Data Governance for my job . So MDM, DQ, and metadata management systems in most languages you can think of. I literally go back to non normalized data before SQL was a thing. I asked because it seems to have been an issue with other folks.

Something’s off. I think when I started out there was a limit on how many posts I could like. As well as a limit on how many times I could reply to a single person in a single thread. But I don’t remember the hammer coming down on any posting attempts I made otherwise. :confused:

3 Likes

It’s the first time I have encountered that particular error.

Regardless, from a data perspective, my user status shouldn’t change from a "regular " or a “backer” or a “user” or no status whatsoever depending depending on how often I reply daily. I am a regular commenter and that should be accumulative.

2 Likes

The “backer” tag is only for those who backed the KS.

The “regular” tag has specific requirements set by Discourse (not the MST team) which you can see here:

As for the issue of not being able to comment, that is strange behavior. What device are you using?

4 Likes

I know there’s a limit of 3 (I believe) consecutive comments in a thread—everyone regardless of Discourse trust level is bound by that one. People often ran into it when posting screen shots of episodes and there’s a thread for those needing a “break” comment in between. Other than that, I can’t recall board behavior where commenting has been limited.

3 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t considered she was trying to reply to various comments in a string in one thread. Good point.

4 Likes

so, accessing a browser with privacy protection yields this message ’ Unfortunately, your browser is too old to work on this site. Please upgrade your browser to view rich content, log in and reply.’

1 Like

It’s literally everyone that replied to anything I said. Didn’t matter if I made the original post or if I replied to a comment thread.

1 Like

Let’s put it this way. If you’re had anyone posting previously since the first new episode went live from a data standpoint that’s likely a person that isn’t going to post multiple nonsense posts. They are your old school users. They are the people you want to engage. You don’t want to keep them from posting. They are absolutely your audience. The people posting after that point are your second and third gen audience. They tend to be more oriented to first or second gen parents that exposed them to the show, are more likely to do a lot of posts because they don’t know how how message boards work.

2 Likes

If you’re being limited from posting in any way other than what I described above, that’s not SOP for Discourse so something is definitely out-of-whack. It’s not something I’m familiar with so hopefully someone else has more info. Lesley was tagged further up the thread so hopefully she’ll have some insight or more info next time she’s online.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the Gripes thread? If so, you made three replies in a row, without waiting for someone else to post in between. That’s going to trigger the Discourse software to stop you until someone else adds a comment. As you can see, looking at this thread, you have not been limited to only replying twice.

In case you weren’t aware, you can highlight text, click ‘reply’, then highlight text in another post and click “quote” and both will show up in one reply. That way you can reply to multiple posts and only reply once.

6 Likes

You don’t even have to click reply the first time even. The quote bubble works like a reply button, too, if one isn’t already going.

Maybe there was just a glitchyglitch happened. This weekend, there was a hiccup in the dealy that keeps track of what people have already read. Maybe there were other symptoms.

1 Like

I haven’t received that message in Opera. What browser are you using?

1 Like

No, we think she was running into the three replies in a row restriction. That’s why I mentioned the highlighting. In the gripes thread she was replying to each person individually (thus running into the limit).

3 Likes

Then she must have never tried to do that before.

2 Likes

Chrome at that time on my Samsung Note.

1 Like

I am actually a backer. I just pretty much gave up at this point.

1 Like