You get to riff a movie with its own cast/crew…which movie do you pick?

Ground rules:

1. Any movie, even “good” movies or ones you like.
  2. Anyone involved in the production: the writer and director, cast members, sound, lighting, whatever.
  3. Why this movie, and why these people?
  4. Be nice! Riff for fun, not revenge.

I think any Star Wars movie with Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Donald Glover would be super fun. I think it’d be a blast to get an inside look at how they feel and see what things make them laugh the most about these movies too many people take too seriously.

5 Likes

I much more prefer movies without cast/crew.

2 Likes

Something with Bruce Campbell, but NOT Evil Dead – he’s been asked to dig in that mine plenty of times already. Maybe Crimewave so I could riff with:

• Bruce Campbell
  • Sam and Ted Raimi
  • Joel and Ethan Coen
  • Antonio Fargas
  • Frances McDormand

That would be something…

3 Likes

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, because it’s truly awful, but I’d get to riff with Bill Murray and Aubrey Plaza…

'nuff said.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, the kind of people who make movies that are a good fit for MST3K… are not the sort you’d expect to be good at riffing their own performances.

If I HAD to pick a film to riff with the original cast, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be something that starred both Vincent Price and Peter Lorre. Both guys were incredibly funny in real life, and had Bruce Campbell levels of cool when it came to dialing the hamminess up to 11. That does leave the third position open though, and I don’t really know how much of a self-deferential sense of humor Basil Rathbone or Boris Karloff had, but I’m going to give Basil Rathbone a slight edge because he did do some comedy, and was willing to dress up like Maude for The Magic Sword.

Tales of Terror seems like an appropriate choice of movie, since it starred all three of them, and was one of Roger Corman’s lesser Poe movies (since it was three shorter tales in one). It’s still a better movie that really deserves to be riffed on MST3K, but it’s just cheesy enough to pass muster.

4 Likes

Party pooper… I wanted to riff a specific movie that has it coming to it for what it did to me! It knows what it did!

1 Like

Corman! Rathbone! Price! Lorre!!

whoa… that’s pretty enticing. I was looking through the Tubi horror movies, and this one just hit my radar… this must be the universe telling me to check it out.

Thanks.

Also, Peter Lorre is way underrated in my opinion.

3 Likes

I suppose another cheat film would be Vault of Horror (1973), which was another portmanteu anthology film featuring a wide variety of actors, but from that line-up, it does mean that you can pull Tom Baker, Terry Thomas, and Denholm Mitchell Elliot. All of whom are/were pretty funny guys. It’s a bit more bloody than the usual fare for MST3K, but since it’s 70’s Amicus horror, it’s practically cartoonish by modern standards.

3 Likes

I’ll probably think of a better pick later, but for now Battle Beyond The Stars checks a lot of the boxes for me. I enjoy the film yet it’s still quite riffable, and there’s a good list of people to pick from.

• John Saxon
  • Robert Vaughn
  • Sybil Danning
  • James Horner
  • Roger Corman
  • John Sayles
3 Likes

Let’s try this again from the browser after my phone kept screwing it up last night …

I know comedies aren’t ideal riffing material, but I’d love to sit down and have a go at Ghostbusters 2 with these guys.

4 Likes

I just can’t imagine one that would be more fun than this.

3 Likes

I was so close to doing a Muppet movie!

1 Like

Not a film riff, but coming from somebody who is too terminally uncool to know who’s who, I’d like commentary on the MTV music awards. Only 3/5ths of NSYNC? People dressed like Star Wars extras? It’s like an acid trip flashback

3 Likes

I would riff any/all Back to the Future movies with Tom Wilson. You know he would have a blast, and could make fun of whatever he wanted, and call me “butthead” anytime I mock his characters…

3 Likes

Not a very good choice (the movie is pretty “talky,” and the plot is a tiny bit complicated, just a tad), but I wouldn’t mind Jackie Brown. Of course, Robert Forster is dead now, but I’m sure Tarantino would have no trouble talking over the entire movie at a mile a minute, probably with some chemical aids, and maybe the rest of the cast would be up for it.

The one bummer is that most of the one’s I’d want to see riffed, most of the cast and the rest of the talent are likely deceased. To Have and Have Not, Wages of Fear…a bunch of classics from back in the day. Some Sam Pecknipah flicks as well, going back to Ride the High Country.

Not too sure, but it’s an interesting question.

2 Likes

Can’t pick just one… there are so many more, but starting with mainstream…