You’re huge and pink…

My home is a Hominy-Free Zone. A Can of Safe Space, if you will.

4 Likes

I like grits and I’m not southern. Restaurants here in Indiana serve them and I get them for breakfast on occasion. I’m not sure where the hatred for instant grits comes from though. They taste fine to me.

4 Likes

I’ve only ever had grits at Cracker Barrel.

2 Likes

Grits were the most disappointing part of my first trip to the US, we always hear about them on TV and movies and I’d assumed it was some sort of fried meat thing, as do a lot of people in the UK apparently.

3 Likes

Maybe they should pay attention to the name next time. It’s a decent description.

2 Likes

The name makes Brits think “fried meat”, I can’t explain it!

3 Likes

Grits are explained in hilarious detail in My Cousin Vinny.

6 Likes

I beat you to it, but it’s a good video and I hope Joe Wilkinson is the official Mr Blobby performer now!

4 Likes

If the producer had said “The BBC is the only public service broadcaster in the UK and the Government will just use your swearing as a weapon to try and put it under more governmental control” I reckon RATM might have been less inclined to explode.

But no-one speaks for RAGE!

3 Likes

Mr Blobby! He’s a mascot here in the UK. Everyone thinks he’s creepy.

4 Likes

Around here, you can find them as pan-fried squares served in place of potatoes. A bit like fried polenta. Usually with cheese or green chile bits added. By far, my favorite way to consume them.

4 Likes

I was briefly stationed in the Florida panhandle and I, too, was deeply disappointed by my first encounter with grits.

I have not sought a second.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I forgot posole! [slaps forehead] There used to be a place nearby which had a delicious version of that beautiful soup, but they closed. :frowning:

3 Likes

Grits are ok Yankee style: with butter and maple syrup. I prefer fried polenta (also known as mush) though.

2 Likes

That’s what I had in a BBQ place in Savannah Georgia, it was delightful.

The Wafflehouse slop was fine, just not what I expected it to be, but I was in a Wafflehouse so I got full anyway!

(I love Wafflehouse)

4 Likes

I’m not British but I was introduced to Mr. Blobby a few years ago by an online friend and since then I’ve just been fascinated that something so off-putting became so popular, if only for a brief period.

2 Likes

The U.S. had Mason Reese. So we can’t really point fingers. :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

We had 4 easily available TV channels, and Due South was a great lead-in for the show Mr. Blobby was on, which is best described as a British early evening attempt at doing family-friendly Letterman, but presented by someone with vague serial-killer vibes.

It’s not a great excuse, but it’s true!

3 Likes

I wonder if RATM ever hung out with Sarah Jones? :smiley:

2 Likes

I can 100% guarantee there are no cans of hominy in the house - I double checked the spreadsheet.

What, not everyone has a spreadsheet of everything in their pantries?

7 Likes