Your Favorite Anti-love Songs

Claudio Sanchez may have been in a bit of a bad spot in his relationship when he wrote this prog metal anthem:

You could’ve been all I wanted
But you weren’t honest
Now get in the ground
You choked off the sorriest of favors
But if you really loved me
You would’ve endured my will

1 Like

No idea. Didn’t even notice it was in the youtube title.

2 Likes

a bit grim but:

1 Like

“I’d rather gather your bones than mop up this mess
If I scrub us all spotless I’ll wreck our success
I was holding your hand when it fell on the floor
When you left you broke the knob on the door
I wish there was more”

3 Likes

Let the others of my sex, tie the knot around their necks. I’d prefer a new edition of the Spanish Inquisition than to ever let a woman in my life!

5 Likes
4 Likes

Here’s a happy track by the Spin Doctors:

2 Likes

And another from the other point of view (Todd Rundgen and Utopia)

3 Likes

Traffic: Feelin’ Alright?

Santana: Mother’s Daughter — this has one of the coldest lyrics ever: “Your mother ain’t so bad; what happened to you?”

And a cover from the late, great Sharon Jones: “What Have You Done for Me Lately?”

1 Like

I agree about Good 4 U, that was my first thought for this thread. Some other goodies:

Break Your Little Heart by All Time Low

Pray for You by Jaron and the Long Road to Love

No Children by The Mountain Goats*

*this song is anti-love but also to me very much a love song. @ me if you want elaboration haha

1 Like
1 Like

Queensryche - I Don’t Believe in Love

L.A. Guns - Kiss My Love Goodbye

ABBA - So Long

Loretta Lynn - Don’t Come Home a Drinkin’

3 Likes

The theme song from Goldeneye is about a woman planning revenge on a former lover who betrayed her. Made even better as it’s performed by Tina Turner, a genuine survivor of an abusive marriage.

1 Like

Alan Parson Project - Let’s Talk about Me
It’s possibly just about getting attention, but I’ve always thought of it as being someone in a relationship who’s fed up and leaves.

3 Likes

Ween, with their extremely irreverent sense of humor, have some of the best songs that work well in this category. They are one of the few bands that can cause me to unconsciously end up with a crap eating grin on my face while listening to them as I occasionally and literally laugh out loud. Love this band!

FAIR WARNING: R Rating / NSFW I guess??? - The Object song may not be suitable for younglings depending on your perspective. Also, they can go pretty dark on occasion so if these songs are your first introduction, I would encourage you to seek out more of their stuff. They are actually extremely talented when you examine how easily they seem to dive in and out of just about every genre of music you can think of and truly are very funny.

https://youtu.be/Miv8p-4OiLE

https://youtu.be/fCSGM5mBrWY

Peace. Live long and prosper. Rock on.

4 Likes

‘Broken Box’ by Queens of the Stone Age.

The anti-love song… such an underused theme.

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Interesting take, don’t think I would call Mississippi Goddam an anti-love song, but I do enjoy some Nina Simone. Her music can be haunting or upbeat, and still be making the same point about racism and equality.

What was your reasoning behind it being anti-love?

1 Like

How about a song that tells the story of a guy who’s in love with a woman and has to watch her get married to someone else?

Of course, ironically it gets played at a lot of weddings…

2 Likes