Your Most Niche Fandom

That’s a Texas size 10-4, super chief.

4 Likes

I really love this show.
I also love The IT Crowd and enjoyed Man to Man with Dean Learner (Richard Ayoade).

The one thing I remember about Darkplace is a series of shots where Richard goes from holding a Styrofoam cup to holding and firing a shotgun, and the Styrofoam cup. I don’t remember the context. It’s been a while sense I’ve seen it.

Also, when I played Minecraft, I built a hospital that looked like the the establishing shot of the Darkplace hospital. Then another player blew it up. I rebuilt it.

4 Likes

Started watching Episode 1. The show is brilliant. The shotgun and Styrofoam are two different scenes, but it is essentially the same thing. Basically, continuity/editing gags. Dean Learner is holding a bloody shovel. Cut to a shot of him, but now he is holding a cup followed by a cut from a different take of him holding the shovel again. In the end, he crushes the cup.
Later he is shown standing, hands in his coat pockets. Cut to him firing a pump action shotgun. Cut to him with his hands in his pocket, and then back to firing the shotgun, ending with him with his hands in his pockets.
There is a lot more to the show than this type of humor. It is a brilliant mashup of anything a low budget show might have.
Plus it has Matt Berry who is brilliant.

Thanks for bringing Darkplace.

6 Likes

Dean is a masterclass in acting, Richard Ayoade, the good actor, is playing Thornton Reed, the bad actor, who is trying to act well. I swear there are points that had me crying, but no spoilers!

If you can find them, the DVD commentaries are very worth checking out, they’re all in-character, and really build a world, as does Man-To-Man with Dean Learner.

4 Likes

That’s right! they reviewed some "video games"The main guy Liam Lynch directed the Tenacious D movie as well. :smiley:

5 Likes

Film: John Carpenter Anything. Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Big Trouble in Little China.

Art/Design: I have always have room for a Milton Glaser print, somewhere.

Music: Massive Attack. It’s a problem.

Literature: Bloom County. Western Civilization peaked when that, Calvin and Hobbes and MST were all in production (it’s true! Once and briefly upon a time all three were simultaneously offering new material).

10 Likes

I JUST watched BTILC last Sunday. It is my quintessential 80s flick and I’m pretty sure I can quote it verbatim. You have seen “David Lopan Style” over on YouTube, yes?

Very glad that people still love Bloom County as much as I do. When I was younger, I identified with Oliver and Milo. But as I’ve gotten older, I’m pretty sure I’ve been Opus all along. :laughing:

9 Likes

“Here you go–make you feel real big, like Dirty Harry.”

That movie is treasure

7 Likes

No horsesh$t, Wang.

7 Likes

I don’t believe I AM familiar with David LoPan Style! Thank you for the side quest!

I, myself relate closely with Steve Dallas (pre-Transmogrification) and, also, Opus. So Hello There!

6 Likes

Seriously? That’s amazing! So crescent fresh.

5 Likes

I’m probably a yellow who wishes they were a red.

4 Likes

My favorite. I use it whenever possible.

6 Likes

Man, I do comics now and I can’t help but read my work and see the Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes influence just ooze out of my work. I got super into Bloom County as a kid in the late 90’s because my grandfather collected a lot of newspaper comic paperback collections and gifted them all to me. I used to just rip off Bloom County strips wholesale when I started making my own comics in middle and high school, and I was obsessed with Calvin and Hobbes when I was even younger.

I own plushes of both Bill the Cat and Opus. I think my Opus is in a box right now but my Bill the Cat is sitting up on a shelf next to my Peewee Herman doll.

11 Likes

Derp. I should’ve just dropped the link!!

6 Likes

6 Likes

Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes made me the person I am today (whether this is a good thing or not is best left to the individual)BloomEyebooger

14 Likes

I had that comic…WAY back in the day

5 Likes

Billy and the Boingers fer ever!

14 Likes

By request (sorta)

14 Likes