You're introducing someone new to MST3K. Which episode do you show them?

I feel like Pod People and Space Mutiny are strong choices. Or, something from the new series like Cry Wilderness. I often find myself trying to convert people and I’m keen to know what’s worked for others :).

14 Likes

Werewilf? Laserblast?

7 Likes

I introduced a couple of friends to MST3K with “The Brain That Wouldn’t Die”. It worked. But today I’d probably go with something different. Pod People is good. I think Final Sacrifice is good. Time Chasers is a fun one.

8 Likes

The Giant Spider Invasion
Space Mutiny
Prince of Space
Cry Wilderness
Werewolf
Reptillicus

9 Likes

If I could get my hands on No Retreat, No Surrender from the last live show that is what I would have anyone new watch! I’ve had success with showing newbies Mitchell, The Amazing Colossal Man and most recently Mac & Me!

8 Likes

The “Brain that Wouldn’t Die” is awesome, but I feel like a lot of younger people struggle with black and white films.

3 Likes

So, you like Joe Don Baker films, huh? Great choice, hadn’t thought of this one.

5 Likes

I’ve had lots of success with Time Chasers!

7 Likes

This discussion begins and ends with “Eegah!”

You gotta use something old and cheesy as hell but in color. “Manos” is too hardcore and the Japanese monster movies from the second and third seasons suffer from source material dragging at times.

If you want something more recently produced, I submit “Future War” as a strong contender since it feeds into the contemporary embrace of Sharknado-style absurd bullshit in the name of laughs. “Dinosaurs are used to hunt people by time travelers? Sign me up!”

10 Likes

Yes Eegah! How could I have been so stupid?!

4 Likes

Final Sacrifice. It’s horrible, simple, and hilarious.

5 Likes

Usually Jack Frost or Space Mutiny.

5 Likes

I would probably go with a classic like Pod People or Mitchell. Those two made me fall in love with the show.

4 Likes

Final Sacrifice and Space Mutiny are both really strong choices. I think The Magic Voyage of Sinbad could be a contender though - color, good production value, good score, cheesy as a Wisconsin hot dish.

12 Likes

Moon Zero Two or Space Mutiny. Goofy sci-fi with great riffs. Slight edge to MZT for using free form jazz in space.

7 Likes

Operation Double 007.

6 Likes

“MST3K: The Movie” is a great place to start.

As for an episode: Those stitched together “movies” (Like Riding With Death or the Master Ninja duo) are worth a try, since they’re very easy to get through.

10 Likes

I usually go with Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, but I have successfully converted a few people thanks to Manos, mostly due to them being aware of the movie’s notoriety.

5 Likes

I agree with Mac & Me. It’s a great one and the one that made me literally laugh until I cried when I first saw it. Such a great riff.

5 Likes

I’ve had the best luck with Mac & Me. A lot of people sorta kinda know what it is, and even folks who claim not to like the whole movie riffing thing seems to really enjoy watching it.

7 Likes