YouTube Stream... Motivation???

So I’m hoping this doesn’t get lumped into another thread because this is a bit different.

It’s clear the YouTube stream, which started out as a “Till Christmas”, then “Till New Year’s”, then “Leap Year” marathon has just kept going.

Unfortunately I’m beginning to think that Lesley has moved on and I’m not sure if anyone else has filled into that community manager role, so there’s no really official announcements or updates for now.

My question is, do you think there’s a plan here? YouTube has solid data tracking so I’m wondering if they are running this nonstop to get a sense of how many eyes are on this show at any given moment.

I think on average it’s about 2000 people, but that number swings wildly up at certain points!

One wonders if this might be a step towards figuring out how to make future seasons work. Getting a sense of audience viewership in realtime could be a step in getting partners on board.

Does anyone else have a thought on this?

It could always just be that YouTube will be like twitch and just offer a steady channel of MST, but one has to wonder…

7 Likes

[nod] To gauge who’s watching, and presumably to bring in a little money they’re not getting from all the other venues.

It would be great if they could do some kind of umbrella special event with RT, and do additional promotion of their old CT works which may be wholly unknown to newer and/or younger fans. Possibly thoughts about that are why they are airing the other riffing projects as part of the stream.

What I wouldn’t give for a V-Day live event with everyone talking about who their favorite Worst Couple Ever is. :wink:

7 Likes

I had the same suspicion also on the the YouTube feed it’s basically just repeating itself the same episodes have been shown over and over. Not sure where this is going but it’s obvious that no one’s minding the store at least over the holidays not sure what’s going to come now that it’s a new year.

4 Likes

I hate to tell ya, but we’re all having to move on for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

OK but I’m still learning how Zoom works in case other people also have nothing better to do on Valentine’s Day.

2 Likes

I’m just talking about those of us who were employed there.

I fully support everyone else doing whatever it is you’re planning.

3 Likes

[nod] If I haven’t yet wished you good luck with future projects, that’s what this is. :beers:

2 Likes

Thank you for the insight… I’m sorry to hear it this way but I’d be lying if I said I was completely surprised.

Goes without saying your contributions were amazing - truly hope you know how much your skills were valued.

Hopefully the tides change in the not too distant future and good news comes back to these shores… I still believe in the show and know others do too.

Regardless, you’ve done a man’s job sir and I wish you, all of you, the best in your professional and creative endeavors- you deserve it.

5 Likes

Le Tube’s stream lists every Big Box social media site but not The Gizmoplex. :confused:

6 Likes

I’m very sorry to read that

4 Likes

I appreciate the restraint since it would have been a joke reply to people’s unemployment.

3 Likes

Poor choice of words from frustration.

Bitter, frustrated, for everyone involved.

Sorry.

3 Likes

I still support you finding that rich uncle and funding the next four seasons though… That would be an extremely good thing for 2024. :wink:

3 Likes

Im very sad to hear this news.

1 Like

The YouTube channel is running the same feed used on the MST3K Twitch channel. If you don’t know, Shout! Factory is responsible for the Twitch feed (not Joel’s company), and they turned the keys over to Copilot Media over a year ago. The only motivation, as far as we can tell, was to make more money off the stream by paying a cheaper provider and cranking the ads up to the max. It appears Copilot Media is doing the same on YouTube, and reusing the same stream so there’s nothing different about it from that perspective. There’s no moderation team in the chat on YouTube from what I can tell, and no real community to speak of. It’s just another outlet to make money from existing content.

2 Likes

There are mods. I’ve seen them pop up several times.

5 Likes

I know for the longest time Twitch forbid multistreaming. Meaning you couldn’t live stream on Twitch and other platforms simultaneously. I think they lifted that restriction sometime last year. So it’s possible they’re just now taking advantage of that change by simulcasting on YT.

2 Likes

yes, although the numbers from pluto or tubi would i think be made available easily

1 Like