508. Operation Double 007 (1967)

“I’m Merv Griffin!”

5 Likes

Double 007 is Citizen Kane compared to Danger!! Death Ray.

6 Likes

It definitely had a much more lavish pleather budget.

7 Likes

Good god I’m ugly . Scared my own children out of the nursery today.

7 Likes

I don’t know about you, but I rank all my movies by their pleather budget.

6 Likes

He actually has 12 credits in IMDB spanning 3 decades. Okay most of them are bit parts, but more than most actors.

5 Likes

Kevin so landed that high octave. :notes:He’s a real big fan of Delta Burke!!!:notes:

4 Likes

Operation Double 007’s director, Alberto De Martino, also directed the infamous Puma Man. And who costarred in Puma Man? None other than Blofeld himself, Donald Pleasance! (Well, ONE of the Blofeld’s…)

6 Likes

Neil Connery can always say that he never made Zardoz, and that he never had to fly like a moron. :angel:

(And personally, I think he looked cute as the dickens in that tam o’shanter.)

4 Likes

I strongly suspect that the radioactive rug subplot and the bit where they figure out where the castle is and how to get in were all cut from the episode when they had to edit the movie down to ~60 minutes + host segments + commercials. I should see if I can watch the original movie sometime. I think it would be good fun even unriffed.

In an interview, Maxwell (Moneypenny) said she was paid more for this movie (in which she had a larger role) than all the real Bond films combined. That’s pretty cool.

As for Neil… He was a plasterer until he got fired. He and his union claimed it was unjust. He did a radio interview about it which got some attention when people realized who his brother was, and that’s why this movie got made. Despite having zero previous acting experience, he earned more for the 3 months of filming than a year at his old job. After the movie, he went back to being a plasterer until he fell off a ladder in the early 80s and the lasting injuries made the impossible. He did do one other film two years after this one, as well as a smattering of cameos on TV.

I have to agree that despite being a parody knockoff film with a fairly small budget, this really does hold up as a decent Bond film.

It’s weird that they gave him the ability to instantly hypnotize people, but I guess they had to do something to explain why a doctor with no spy training would be able to interrogate people and have an advantage in a fight.

Solid episode with some great riffing. I like the Shout Factory bonus interview with Joel after. How the show had really hit its stride by this season and they were just cruising along having fun.

10 Likes

Let’s talk genres! Mst made it fun to compare them! There’s giant (bug, reptile, mammal) movies, biker movies, dopey rocket ship movies (my favorite), etc. And of course, there’s James Bond ripoff movies like this one. This is probably my least favorite James Bond ripoff with Agent from H.A.R.M a close second. Danger Death Ray! Is easily my favorite of these with Super Agent Super dragon also up there. I’m curious, where does everyone else rank them?

3 Likes

His favorite movie!

hooch-mastiffs

2 Likes

Super-Dragon is my fave Joel episode of all time even!!

Then in descending order it’s: Double 007, Danger, and H.A.R.M. The last being far and away the cheesiest looking and with the least competent and most… difficult protagonist.

4 Likes

Pht - do I rank them?

EPISODE TITLE CATEGORY SUBCATEGORIES RATING
512 Mitchell Earth Drama - Spy / Crime Police 9
301 Cave Dwellers Fantasy Science Fantasy 8
311 It Conquered the World Lone Alien / Monster / Zombie On Earth Earth invasion 8
422 The Day the Earth Froze Fantasy Sword & Sorcery / Historical 8
507 I Accuse My Parents Earth Drama - Spy / Crime Teen 8
620 Danger! Death Ray Earth Drama - Spy / Crime Secret Agent 8
212 Godzilla vs. Megalon Giant Monster / Kaiju Hollow Earth / Robot 7
302 Gamera Giant Monster / Kaiju 7
303 Pod People Lone Alien / Monster / Zombie On Earth Musical career / Teens / Kid protagonist 7
306 Time of the Apes Post Apocalypse Earth paralell / Military / Revenge / Kid sidekick 7
310 Fugitive Alien Outer Space / Sci-Fi Earth invasion / Journey to Save 7
410 Hercules Against the Moon Men Fantasy Sword & Sandal / Alien invasion / Moon 7
424 Manos The Hands of Fate Earth Drama - Supernatural Cult / Satanic 7
501 Warrior of the Lost World Post Apocalypse Driving / Uprising 7
506 Eegah Lone Alien / Monster / Zombie On Earth Caveman / Teen / Musical 7
508 Operation Double 007 Earth Drama - Spy / Crime Secret Agent 7
509 The Girl in Lovers Lane Earth Drama - Teen / Rebel Crime / Tragedy 7
517 Beginning of the End Giant Monster / Kaiju Military 7
606 The Creeping Terror Lone Alien / Monster / Zombie On Earth Earth invasion / Human as prey 7
816 Prince of Space Outer Space / Sci-Fi Alien invasion / Superhero / Kid sidekick 7
1102 Cry Wilderness Lone Alien / Monster / Zombie On Earth Kid sidekick 7
2 Likes

De Martino’s expertise early on was dubbing. A dubbing director on more than 1,500 films including La Dolce Vita (1960), Alberto directed the gamut. Spaghetti Westerns, Euro-Crime, Sword and Sandal, Horror, and yes The Pumaman (1980) which nearly bankrupted him. He used his house as collateral on that one. An Exorcist knockoff The Anti-Christ (1974) is what Martino is most remembered for.

1 Like

This one is a lot of fun. The movie is nonsensical but goes at quite the breezy pace. Combined with great riffing and host segments and you got a winner of an experiment!

(I Know… :smirk:)

6 Likes

Perhaps the most triumphant riff of the series.

Or at least a contender!

6 Likes

@optiMSTie Is the quality of Operation Double 007 (1967) as an episode comparable to Eegah (1962), I Accuse My Parents (1944), and Mitchell (1975)?

4 Likes

On my ranking list Double 007 is #16. Eegah is #15. I Accuse my Parents is #5. Mitchell is #1.

So I would put D-007 in the same broad league of “top 25 episodes” as all the movies you listed. However, I would put IAMP and Mitchell in a higher quality tier of “Top 5” episodes. I mean - really - those two movies are such classic, staple episodes that there really aren’t many episodes you can put next to them and claim they are “the same” in quality. I Accuse My Parents and Mitchell are special cases that stand out. Operation Double 007 is a great episode … and definitely stands out … but its not quite in the same rarified air as Mitchell or I Accuse My Parents.

2 Likes

I would rank this one higher than both the others. The Fun Quotient is just off the charts. The other two are solid episodes, though.

3 Likes