508. Operation Double 007 (1967)

Is the alternate title “OK Connery” supposed to be read as addressing him (e.g. “OK, Connery, go ahead”) or is it more like acknowledging that he’s just, you know, an OK Connery?

3 Likes

It was the name of Connery’s band, famous for its indie pop rock videos featuring elaborate but dorky dance choreography

2 Likes

I feel like you’re not serious, but if that’s a reference, I’m afraid I’m not getting it.

2 Likes

I know the opening song (performed by Shirley Bassey’s sister Carol Bassey) includes the lyric “OK Connery” a few times.

1 Like

(the band is OK Go)

1 Like

Ahh, okay. My knowledge of current pop music is barely above zero, so.

2 Likes

I like to imagine the woman singing the theme is in an asylum, and running around as she is being chased by the men in the white suits…and in the end she has a brain aneurysm and just collapses.

2 Likes

Was this a parody movie though? Its hardly humorous, but then, the ‘Flynt’ films are accepted as spy parodies but I see very little light between them and the Bond flicks.

3 Likes

I think the problem is that while there’s heavy-duty exaggeration in it, (and some fairly ridiculous dialogue delivered straight) there’s not slapstick in the Zucker Bros. sense. So it’s kind of half a parody, not a whole one.

1 Like

There are a few legitimate Bond films that seem like parodies in that sense so it’s hard to discern.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s hilarious in the original Italian.

2 Likes

That reminds me, are there any good Italian comedians?

The way their ideas of comedy are portrayed on film, it feels like if you don’t agree with them, they’ll break a bottle and threaten to gut you unless you admit they are funny.

2 Likes

4 Likes

It’s a cheap cash grab, not a parody.

2 Likes